• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Advertisement: Anybody else interested in the X-20 Dyna Soar?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman

Reaction score
I made a few extra X-20 Dyna-Soar nose cone "kits" for a few people that asked.

Would there be any interest in my making any more?

They are designed to fit a BT-60 and work GREAT on the Deuce's Wild.

They would probably work on the Estes Big Bertha but they would need to be weighted...The Deuce is better.

Another concept had it mounted on a Titan III so it would fit the old Estes kit.

I am checking on having a decal set made up.

The prototype concept called for a preliminay suborbital test using the Titan II which is sorta what I was going for.

Should I provide just the balsa parts?

Should I include the decals?

Should I also include a decal set for the booster (Deuce's Wild) to make it look like a Titan II?

My decision to make more would be up to you guys.

I'm not real sure about the price yet...remember these are all going to be hand made so...

I still need the price on the decals.

sandman

In case you forgot.

This is what it looks like finished.

I sorta made up the decals. the final decal set would be more comlete.

That is a pic from George Gassway's web site (I asked him at NARAM and he loved the idea)

sandman

I would definitely be interested in one, sand. Depending on the price, maybe two - :D

Sandman,

I'd also be interested in one depending on the price. The Mrs. is monitoring my rocket spending! But the X-20 has always been a favorite! I'm thinking of working on a larger scale model sometime in the future. Let me know when you determine the price.

Thanks,

I love it, it look great with the decals for the Titan look. I would be interested if you were to price it.

Scott

I'm still waiting on the decals so i should have a price soon.

sandman

Well, I need some feedback on this.

Should I add a "star and bar" and a "U. S. Air Force" decal to the set fo you can complete a modification to the Deuce's wild like mine? This would make it look like the Titan II.

Or should I just provide the decals for the capsule?

sandman

This is the Orbiter "only" decal set.

These were drawn by John Joseph. He's the guy standing next to the really big Mars Lander in the last issue of Sport rocketry Mag taken at NARCOM.

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
X-20 Dyna-Soar nose cone "kits"
They are designed to fit a BT-60 and work GREAT on the Deuce's Wild.

They would probably work on the Estes Big Bertha but they would need to be weighted...The Deuce is better.

Sandman, I flew my X-20 on my Deuce last launch...... It wasn't a pretty flight....... https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6195

Was this because I needed to add noseweight?

Rocketmaniac,

I did nothing special to mine, just the paint. No added nose wt. at all and flew it at NARAM 45.

Mine was completely "stock" except the nose cone.

It flew fine:confused:

But the only difference is both of my motors lit at the same time.

I think...don't remember...Jim Flis took the picture.

sandman

Count me in! I just ordered parts for a Estes GT-3 "clone" and while I was at Fliskits website, I ordered a Deuce' Wild kit, "The most talked about kit in the country"! The X-20 would be a great mod! ..loojack

Yea, sandmans Dyna-Deuce flew perfectly. I can't imagine why there was a problem with your flight. Truely odd... Did the nose cone fit snugly? I could imagine a loose or wobbly nose could cause problems...

Originally posted by jflis
Did the nose cone fit snugly? I could imagine a loose or wobbly nose could cause problems...

I would say the fit might not be exact but pretty close to the orginal nosecone...... I was wondering if that fact that one motor ignited before the other one ((split second) this has happend 2 out of 3 flights) started the rocket on a bad coarse, then the "wings" on the X-20 acted like an airplane?

I love this!! I will most definitely buy one! I vote for the whole decal set, so that I can build a Dyna-deuce.... (Or is it a Deuce -a -soar?) :D

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
I would say the fit might not be exact but pretty close to the orginal nosecone...... I was wondering if that fact that one motor ignited before the other one ((split second) this has happend 2 out of 3 flights) started the rocket on a bad coarse, then the "wings" on the X-20 acted like an airplane?

It may have been a combination of things, the biggest being the affect that this nose cone has if the rocket goes slightly off course due to delay in firing both motors or weather-cocking. What are you using for a launch power source. I would work on getting both motor lit at the exact same moment first...

The Ominplex in Oklahoma City has an old mockup of an early X-20. This was built for the 1964 worlds fair. They have updated the signs on it. I tried to get a couple of pictures, but with the glare of the overheads, and the color of the displays they were hard to get. I will post what I have though!

Here is a test Dyna-soar picture they had, from Boeing. This was a boost glider, according to the photo.

Here is a closer look at the Dyna-soar. Once again sorry for the glare!

Originally posted by sandman
I made a few extra X-20 Dyna-Soar nose cone "kits" for a few people that asked.
sandman

Any news on what these might cost?

Back