Adding decals after sanding glossy paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjp987

Reaction score
I just painted my Der Red Max with Rusto-leum Stops Rust Glossy Red. Although I'm generally happy with it, there are a number of minor defects I'd like to sand out. They mostly look like dust specs or maybe very small bubbles. I wondering if I can do a light sanding before putting on the water slide decals. I've heard decals don't set well if not placed on a glossy finish (silver tinge under clear parts of the decal). Is it possible to sand and still get the decals to set well? I do not want to use a clear gloss coat. I've had too many issues in the past with wrinkling/crinkling in the past. For this reason I plan on putting a top-coat of Future Floor Wax over the decals. After sanding, could I use Future Floor Wax under the decals, and then again over the decals.

Your plan should work although you don't mention the grit you are using. Assuming you are around a 600 finish grit on the paint layer, then the decals can be applied and a couple coats of Future should bring back the overall sheen.

I can sand up to 2500 grit. Will decals look good over 600 grit? I know Future will bring back the sheen for the exposed sanded painted areas and over the decals, but what about the sanded painted area under the clear part of the decals?

I can sand up to 2500 grit. Will decals look good over 600 grit? I know Future will bring back the sheen for the exposed sanded painted areas and over the decals, but what about the sanded painted area under the clear part of the decals?

I wet sand imperfections with 600 to 800 grit (decals or no decals). If worried, just buff in a bit of scratch remover after that. Then just apply the Future. It may be visible but only from about 12" away; maybe not even then.

You plan on using Future as a gloss coat over the entire rocket correct ?

If so , I have a solution that will work ,no ifs ands or buts !

Paul t

You plan on using Future as a gloss coat over the entire rocket correct ?

If so , I have a solution that will work ,no ifs ands or buts !

Paul t

Yes. Sand defects off glossy paint. Add decals. Finish off entire rocket with Future.

Yes. Sand defects off glossy paint. Add decals. Finish off entire rocket with Future.

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner.

Anyway ,when you are ready to apply the decals ,instead of using water or a decal setting solution ,use Future.

I dip the decal/s in hot water ,place on a blotter of paper towel and let sit for 15-20 secs. While waiting ,I have some Future poured in a small cup and using a soft wide paint brush (I have several for this purpose ranging in widths from 1/4" to 3/4"...they are flat and soft and of good quality...Michaels sells them)dip and apply to the area where the decal is to be placed.Blot the surface of the decal with paper towel(remove eccess water) and slide off the backing paper onto the location of the rocket where you want it.

Use you brush to position the decal and when happy ,dip you brush in more Future and brush the entire surface of the decal and surounding area, working it flat and working out any bubbles there may be under it.

Let the decal be and work on another area ,and repeat.When done let the whole works sit for at least 24 hours or longer ,to allow the future to cure properly.As the future dries ,it sucks the decals flat to the surface and also makes them stick better.Once on and dry,they are not going anywhere ,and now you are ready to coat the entire rocket with more Future.This will make the decals blend in with the new gloss surface you created by applying more Future over then entire object.

*****Several notes ****** - you may have to work fast ,as the Future can grab the decals as you place them down ,so get yourself organized and the decal should be close to the location where you want it.You can also add a few drops of water to the Future to thin it down.My bottle of Future is 6 years old ,so it`s getting a little thick ,water does the trick ,but drops at a time.

I have never over coated an entire rocket with Future ,I use gloss coats such as Krylon Crystal Clear and clear lacquer ,BUT the results are the same ,as these solvent based products do not affect Future .

I first discovered Future as a decal setting solution when I first started making plastic model aircraft in 1/48 scale and still use this technique today for models and rockets.

You can check my profile page and have a look at my models albums.These models all had the decals applied the same way I described above ,as well as my smaller rocket builds.

Hope this helps you out.

Paul T

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

Your idea of using Future under the decal sounds like it will solve problem of having the glossy finish beneath the decal, and also will secure the decal to the rocket. I did read that applying decals over Future is a bad idea because it they won't stick, but of course this was assuming that the Future had dried already. Putting the decals over wet Future should effectively glue down the decal as you suggested.

I am however a little apprehensive about this approach. Seems like it takes a fair amount of skill and practice to get right, and I don't want to mess up my Der Red Max decals while "practicing". However, I do have a much smaller Hi-Flier I just painted and made decals for. Since I made the decals myself, it will be easy to print out another set if I mess something up, and if I have to sand down and repaint it, it won't be a big deal. Also, this Hi-Flier was going to be my first attempt at using Future anyway, so might as well try your decal trick with it also.

I`ve done this for quite a few years ,so indeed, it is a bit of a learning curve ,but not all that different than doing it the regular way ,just using Future instead of water and setting solutions.

I did my Interceptor E...and those are huge ,complex decals ,but it may be wise to practice on something smaller ,but once you do it this way ,you`ll never go back.

As mentioned ,even the toughest ,thickest decals (Tamiya and Academy models kits) lay down nicely with this method.

You may also use a hair dryer to get them to dry faster ,but they must "cure" on their own accord ,so do not apply too much heat or for too long.
Paul T

Paul, did I understand you correctly: you (can) apply a clear coat over Future-set decals? As in an enamel or lacquer clear coat? Wow. That's interesting! It never occurred to me that clears could go over future... this opens some possibilities for me if I am not misunderstanding!

Paul, did I understand you correctly: you (can) apply a clear coat over Future-set decals? As in an enamel or lacquer clear coat? Wow. That's interesting! It never occurred to me that clears could go over future... this opens some possibilities for me if I am not misunderstanding!

Oh indeed Marc.

After I apply my decals (all decal makes ,ALPS ,Silk screen ,my own ) with Future (brush it on ,lay on your decal ,position correctly ,apply another coat of Future and work out bubbles) I let cure for at least 24 hours ,longer is better ,then clear coat with your favorite poison.

For my model airplanes ,Model Master clear coat lacquer thinned 50 % with lacquer thinner and sprayed through the airbrush 12-15 psi ,always gloss first to blend in the decals then flat coat for scale effect.

Rockets-Krylon Crystal clear ,your choice of finish

Testors clear lacquer, your choice of finish

Enamels , other makes ,none really impress me much ,prefer Krylon clears ,less problems...no problems

Rustoleum clear lacquer ,usually gloss

Or...Future over the whole works...not a fan of that technique ,maybe just me ?

Of course ,as we all know ,spraying a lacquer clear finish over enamel is a no no .....but i`ve done it.....but again ,that`s me :rolleyes:

Cheers

Paul T

Paul T

Paul, all the years I have been building models and I have never once heard of anybody using Future to set their decals with. What an amazing idea and one I will certainly try in the near future (pun not intended). I guess an old dog can learn new tricks - as long as the half-heimers doesn't make you forget the next day. ... Uhhhh - what? :wink:

Paul, all the years I have been building models and I have never once heard of anybody using Future to set their decals with. What an amazing idea and one I will certainly try in the near future (pun not intended). I guess an old dog can learn new tricks - as long as the half-heimers doesn't make you forget the next day. ... Uhhhh - what? :wink:

I`m not sure how I started using Future ,but I know one time i was using Solv a set ? (the solvent,vinegar one) and it ruined a decal I was laying down !

For some reason ,I thought about Future and thought,what could it hurt ,so I tried it on some thick ,heavy Academy stock decals .The next day those SOBs were laying down into the panel lones and nice and flat.

Another time I was putting on one of those spiral stripes the Germans put on the prop. spinners and Future made it a breeze.

It`s all I ever used after that, it just works for me.

Cheers

Paul t

Latest posts

Back