A Few I've been working on - Waiting for Paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markschnell

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been enjoying a building frenzy lately. I've cloned a few that I've wanted for a long time. I had the SR71 kit for probably 15-17 years and had screwed up the embossed sheets. Back when Estes would sell you parts they sent me a few replacement sets. I finally decided to build this cool kit. I built one close to 25 years ago and gave it away to a kid that liked it.
IMG_5682.jpeg
The Centuri Bulldog (the one on the yellow stand) is one I've loved since the 1983 Centuri catalog. I've never even seen one in person, I just always loved that design. Got the nosecone from BMS and the fins, body tube, and centering rings from erockets. I have decals from Stickershock. The Hyperion was cloned with plans from JimZ and the fins are made from a Lego box. Also have decals from Stickershock.
IMG_5684.jpeg
The Dynastar X-20, also cloned from Jimz, fins from erockets, decals from Stickershock. And, no, of course I meant to put the fin section in that arrangement. I think it looks better. I certainly didn't screw it up. :rolleyes: Oh well, at least it works that way too.
IMG_5685.jpeg

Yes, thanks for noticing, those are the cheap Honest John nosecones from Walmart on the Protostar. I needed those other nosecones for my Hyperion, and the Alien Invader kit that I had raided for my Torellian Invader a few years ago. I think they look pretty good, actually.
IMG_5683.jpeg

The Alien Invader was from reissue kit they did a good while ago. Like I said above, I had raided the nosecone for my Torellian Invader and with the Protostar I was able to finally build this kit I've loved for a long time. The Delta Wedge, also cloned from JimZ, turned out halfway decent but I wish I had used a Navy blue paint instead of the brighter blue. I used card stock on the fins and internal ribs like the stuff you'd find on the back of a cheap picture frame. Got a sheet from Hobby Lobby and it wasn't fun to work with. Way too fuzzy, but thin CA helped a lot. Used a file folder for the wide sheets. Decals from Stickershock again. He's really gotten the smaller decals down well and I love to work with them.
IMG_5686.jpeg

Anyway, just some stuff I'm working on. I always like to see what others are doing and I thought some of you might enjoy.

Back