A decent GPS module

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMZawodny

Reaction score
I'm interested in a good GPS module that ideally has an SPI interface, implements the OR version of the COCOM limits and supports High G environments. Most only do 4Gs. The only ones I've found are GSA schedule ones that I'd get fired for if I bought under false pretenses and I doubt I'd be willing to pay Government pricing for. What are the best units out there? Do I need to settle for a uBlox 6 or 7 and just deal with the 4G limit?

I don't have any suggestions about a part, but I suggest you also post this in the electronics sub forum for more exposure.

I guess the uBlox units are currently the best deal for rocketry use, if properly initialized.

Software based GPS solutions have been built by hobbyists and they are becoming available now. They should be more open to be "tuned" for our uses (i.e. dynamics vs. precision trade-offs). The Piksi in particular looks interesting in my opinion:
https://docs.swift-nav.com/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#What_is_the_limit_on_acceleration.3F

The Piksi is a bit pricey, but I guess this will improve in the future.

Reinhard

Back