A Big And Bizarre Drone Mystery Is Unfolding In Rural Colorado

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Aliens!

Large groups of drones are flying grid pattern routes over the region at night and nobody knows who they belong to or what they're doing.
DECEMBER 26, 2019

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...rre-drone-mystery-unfolding-in-rural-colorado

The sparse expanses of Northeast Colorado have become ground zero for a bizarre mystery surrounding sightings of nighttime coordinated flights of groups of drones. From roughly 7 pm to 10 pm every night last week, an estimated 17 drones with six-foot spans have flown "grid patterns" over Phillips County and near its border with neighboring Yuma County, according to Phillips County Sheriff Thomas Elliott. The drones operate at a few hundred feet in the air and were brightly lit with strobing colored and white lights, leaving local residents and those driving through the area baffled.

The Denver Post was first to report on the string of strange sightings. Local law enforcement, the FAA, DEA, U.S. Army, and the Air Force have said they have no idea what these aircraft are or who they belong to.

The Denver Post writes:

-----------

The sheriff’s office can’t explain where the drones are coming from or who is flying them. The estimated size and number of drones makes it unlikely that they’re being flown by hobbyists, Undersheriff William Myers said.

On Friday, Myers said he watched eight of the large drones flying along the Yuma County border near the intersection of U.S. 385 and County Road 54. At the same time, a single drone hovered about 25 miles away over the town of Paoli — it didn’t move all night, just hovered over the town — and eight more drones flew over Haxtun, about 10 miles down the road from Paoli, Myers said.

“Overhead they were probably doing 30, 40 mph,” he said. “They weren’t racing or flying around with speed.”

One resident who spotted a drone last week gave chase, Elliott said, driving behind it at about 50 mph, but lost the drone when he ran out of gas in Washington County.

The machines fly too high to be heard from the ground but can be seen by their strobing white lights along with red, blue and green lights, Myers said.

Elliott said Monday that the sheriff’s office has received nine calls about the drones since last week. He said residents no longer need to call to report a simple sighting of the drones.

“We just want to know if one lands, if we can get our hands on it, or if they see someone operating them, that’s what we’re looking for now,” he said. “We know they exist.”

The FAA does have rules for drones that weigh less than 55 pounds and requires such aircraft to be flown during daylight hours, within sight of the pilot, no higher than 400 feet above the ground, and not over people, among other rules. However, pilots can apply for and receive waivers from the FAA that exempts the pilots from many of those rules.

It’s also not clear whether the drones over Phillips and Yuma counties would be governed by those regulations. A drone the size of the ones spotted over the counties likely would weigh more than 55 pounds, Moss said. That means the drone operator would be flying commercially...

-----------

I think people will wonder why there is no video that we know of these sightings. Most amateur video shot of lights in the sky at night has very little value, but regardless, you have to remember that this is happening in very sparsely populated areas after dark. If it was occurring near an urban area, I think the lack of video would be a bit troubling, but in this case, I don't find it to be, especially considering the level of law enforcement knowledge of these events.

The airspace where this is occurring is peculiarly desolate, as well, making it ideally suited for such a task, but the flights are not legally occurring, which makes the whole affair quite suspicious. The fact that the activity is happening after sundown is even more intriguing and adds to the notion that whoever is doing this knows it is outside the bounds of FAA regulations.

In addition, it would be very challenging to trace these aircraft back to their place of origin or point of flight termination. The drones could fly the majority of their missions with lights on and turn them off during launch and recovery. With very little ambient light, they would be all but undetectable to the naked eye. Also, remember that drones this size can takeoff from very small areas, so it's not like a runway is needed or anything like that. As such, they can originate from nearly anywhere.

Seems to me that if they want to get the answers they want, they should get a drone of their own up there to capture one of them. Say with a net.

Seems to me that if they want to get the answers they want, they should get a drone of their own up there to capture one of them. Say with a net.
I've seen systems to down hobbyist drones that use a net fired from another drone or a hardened "killer drone" that simply strikes the target drone, but nothing for anything this large. Control link jamming could be used, but decent drones as these very large ones must be will return to launch site when they lose their control link. As mentioned by the author of the above column, following would be difficult if the drones turn off their running lights... which brings up a point. If these are unauthorized flights, why are they bothering with anti-collision running lights at all? If they wanted to be covert, they certainly wouldn't want to use them. Watch this turn out to be authorized flights than some authorizing bureaucracy simply dropped the ball on.

Like most everyone in this decadent State...looking for WEED!

For years they have been growing in "fake" pit silos with thermal blanketing that' are rotated with real silos. There is still a shortage from legit growers to meet demand so maybe someone is farming again.

Maybe have advanced radar or thermal imagers that can detect such operations from the drone, giving probable cause to bring in the big guns!

Maybe some good ole boys are making rocket motors?

Last edited:
"From roughly 7 pm to 10 pm every night last week, an estimated 17 drones with six-foot spans have flown "grid patterns" over Phillips County and near its border with neighboring Yuma County,"

Really?
So where's the video?
Did I miss the video?

I've tried to shoot video of lights at night from a Parade of Lights, on the street with a video camera. It was, at best, very difficult to get any kind of useable footage. I can't imagine trying to shoot video with any kind of quality of lights in the sky at night. It would take very specialized, expensive equipment, and you would have to know ahead of time exactly where the drones were going to be at a specific time. I think it would be VERY suspicious if that video already existed.

Last edited:
A dozen-and-a-half drones with 6-foot spans would be difficult to hide I’d think. Not sure of their operating range, but I think if someone with military resources wanted to find them it would be done quickly. Their base must be relatively nearby. Not likely to be totally in the boonies as those drones need fuel of some kind, so near an access road not far from a gas station, propane/kerosene shop.

If it’s a gov’t operation of some kind, then likely it’s known and just not being shared with LEOs. The Air Force and Army say they don’t know either, but they would, and have, said the same thing when it WAS their operation so...

Not sure of their operating range, but I think if someone with military resources wanted to find them it would be done quickly.

US Army could send up an EC-12 Huron with a bunch of “classified” electronic warfare garbage on it and antenna sticking out all over it and just jam the **** out of the transmitter sending signals or simply stalk the source passively from 25,000 ft. Oh and it can loiter for like eight hours plus. The biggest giveaway is all the RF being emitted from the source to these drones duhhhhh. Sounds like the military needs to just do something ecm wise. Lol.

Kinda odd how the military can jam a GPS Airnav corridor on their own MOA airspace and affect civil flights so much that FAA issues a notam to pilots for hundreds of freaking miles. Yet they can’t figure out who launches a bunch of drones and terrorizes rural Colorado night.

Heck I’m tempted to blame its Amazon prime testing drones for delivery routes looooooooooooooool. Or some geeks just trolling people.

Aw, come on. I've read no descriptions or seen any video that causes me to think that these are drones. They're probably what they've been for the past 60* years or more when this happens - kids launching swarms of hot air balloons with lights. Dead simple. We did dozens when I was a teenager. Why would it be different now? Even easier now with LED lights and a can of sterno. A bunch of kids (and copycats) are laughing their a$$es off that they made the national news. Film at 11:00 - crop circles!

We welded plastic dropcloths together - made one that was 24' tall and 12' diameter... and lots of smaller ones out of single and double dropcloths. Cold winter weather is perfect; less chance of burning down the state**, and the cold air makes 'em work better.

*at least 60 years 'cause that's when we did it (but I'm not going to pretend we were the first).
**yeah, we were dumb teenagers.

Find me one single report of them flying upwind.*** And the report of one "hovering" over a town? I'll bet that if you check his line-of-sight that you'll find a nice fat planet hanging there.****

***And if you do, I'll point out that the winds at altitude are different.
****Not one person in a hundred can identify the natural things in the nighttime sky.

Last edited:
Aliens!

Large groups of drones are flying grid pattern routes over the region at night and nobody knows who they belong to or what they're doing.
DECEMBER 26, 2019

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...rre-drone-mystery-unfolding-in-rural-colorado

The sparse expanses of Northeast Colorado have become ground zero for a bizarre mystery surrounding sightings of nighttime coordinated flights of groups of drones. From roughly 7 pm to 10 pm every night last week, an estimated 17 drones with six-foot spans have flown "grid patterns" over Phillips County and near its border with neighboring Yuma County, according to Phillips County Sheriff Thomas Elliott. The drones operate at a few hundred feet in the air and were brightly lit with strobing colored and white lights, leaving local residents and those driving through the area baffled.

The Denver Post was first to report on the string of strange sightings. Local law enforcement, the FAA, DEA, U.S. Army, and the Air Force have said they have no idea what these aircraft are or who they belong to.

The Denver Post writes:

-----------

The sheriff’s office can’t explain where the drones are coming from or who is flying them. The estimated size and number of drones makes it unlikely that they’re being flown by hobbyists, Undersheriff William Myers said.

On Friday, Myers said he watched eight of the large drones flying along the Yuma County border near the intersection of U.S. 385 and County Road 54. At the same time, a single drone hovered about 25 miles away over the town of Paoli — it didn’t move all night, just hovered over the town — and eight more drones flew over Haxtun, about 10 miles down the road from Paoli, Myers said.

“Overhead they were probably doing 30, 40 mph,” he said. “They weren’t racing or flying around with speed.”

One resident who spotted a drone last week gave chase, Elliott said, driving behind it at about 50 mph, but lost the drone when he ran out of gas in Washington County.

The machines fly too high to be heard from the ground but can be seen by their strobing white lights along with red, blue and green lights, Myers said.

Elliott said Monday that the sheriff’s office has received nine calls about the drones since last week. He said residents no longer need to call to report a simple sighting of the drones.

“We just want to know if one lands, if we can get our hands on it, or if they see someone operating them, that’s what we’re looking for now,” he said. “We know they exist.”

The FAA does have rules for drones that weigh less than 55 pounds and requires such aircraft to be flown during daylight hours, within sight of the pilot, no higher than 400 feet above the ground, and not over people, among other rules. However, pilots can apply for and receive waivers from the FAA that exempts the pilots from many of those rules.

It’s also not clear whether the drones over Phillips and Yuma counties would be governed by those regulations. A drone the size of the ones spotted over the counties likely would weigh more than 55 pounds, Moss said. That means the drone operator would be flying commercially...

-----------

I think people will wonder why there is no video that we know of these sightings. Most amateur video shot of lights in the sky at night has very little value, but regardless, you have to remember that this is happening in very sparsely populated areas after dark. If it was occurring near an urban area, I think the lack of video would be a bit troubling, but in this case, I don't find it to be, especially considering the level of law enforcement knowledge of these events.

The airspace where this is occurring is peculiarly desolate, as well, making it ideally suited for such a task, but the flights are not legally occurring, which makes the whole affair quite suspicious. The fact that the activity is happening after sundown is even more intriguing and adds to the notion that whoever is doing this knows it is outside the bounds of FAA regulations.

In addition, it would be very challenging to trace these aircraft back to their place of origin or point of flight termination. The drones could fly the majority of their missions with lights on and turn them off during launch and recovery. With very little ambient light, they would be all but undetectable to the naked eye. Also, remember that drones this size can takeoff from very small areas, so it's not like a runway is needed or anything like that. As such, they can originate from nearly anywhere.
Probably practicing for a formation gig just as China did this year.

Like most everyone in this decadent State...looking for WEED!

For years they have been growing in "fake" pit silos with thermal blanketing that' are rotated with real silos. There is still a shortage from legit growers to meet demand so maybe someone is farming again.

Maybe have advanced radar or thermal imagers that can detect such operations from the drone, giving probable cause to bring in the big guns!

Maybe some good ole boys are making rocket motors?

Hi Folks;

They are definitely looking for something in an organized fashion. They seem to be following FAA regs, at least as far as altitude. This isn't a hobbyist with a DJI Phantom, these are serious large fixed wing drones. Given the flight patterns and the repetition, I would say that they are surveying the area for something. There isn't a whole lot of activity around Yuma and Sedgwick counties, mostly farming area without a lot of water. The flights seem to occur at night, so it would follow that they are looking for something that's easier to detect at night, or they are trying (badly) to conceal their activities. It seems that the proper authorities armed with a radio direction finder could locate the transmission point in fairly short order. I'm not sure the proper authorities want to publicize this activity. One turkey's opinion.
Jim

Hi Folks;

They are definitely looking for something in an organized fashion. They seem to be following FAA regs, at least as far as altitude. This isn't a hobbyist with a DJI Phantom, these are serious large fixed wing drones. Given the flight patterns and the repetition, I would say that they are surveying the area for something. There isn't a whole lot of activity around Yuma and Sedgwick counties, mostly farming area without a lot of water. The flights seem to occur at night, so it would follow that they are looking for something that's easier to detect at night, or they are trying (badly) to conceal their activities. It seems that the proper authorities armed with a radio direction finder could locate the transmission point in fairly short order. I'm not sure the proper authorities want to publicize this activity. One turkey's opinion.
Jim
I would have to agree w this reply, something is either being sought out at night or their concealing some more majic eyes only project,. You will probably find out later it was something so silly rediculous.

Hi Folks;

Jim

:)
Oh Jim,
It is OK to admit it was one of your awesome scratch builds with a new, ground breaking homebrew motor that went a little higher and hotter than you expected. How were you to know Putin's boys would pick up the plume on their satellite over the old Atlas launch site? Given the prevailing winds it was just some bad luck the main deployed at Apogee and the jet stream carried it to somewhere in the Eastern part of the State or even to Nebraska. Probably doesn't help your advanced exotic construction materials accidentally gave it stealth characteristics as well. Surely you could not have foreseen your prototype phased array tracking system you built in the basement would send a clear signal into an alternate dimension. BUT, the real question is if you can remember if you put your phone number on it or not. Well, no matter what I hear the minimum security facilities are very nice with free food, heat, medical care an regularly scheduled fitness activities with other white collar types who also have trouble recalling their phone numbers.
;)
I feel so much better the mystery is solved. Jim will look good in orange and maybe we can all bring him cake during visitation. When in doubt just blame a local rocketeer. Lead story on the local news and this story has LEGS!
:)

Just kidding Jim! Bring something cool to the next launch! :)

I just discovered this story while reading up on the FAA proposal regarding regulation of sUAS ops (which is pretty bothersome if you're also into RC)...

Apparently autonomous flights beyond line of sight of multiple relatively large UAS aircraft below 500 AGL after dark with nav/anticollision lights? That's a whole lot of no-nos and effort for anyone on their own - as a long-time modeler and career FAA ATC, I'd bet a quarter or two that someone in the FAA above the local ATC level is in the loop with what's going on.

You would think they could at least put out a plausible yet deniable cover story. If you can't come up with one of your own just call up your buddy Putin and ask him to take a quick look in his KGB excuse file.

Maybe they just don't care and will let the chips fall where they may.

No, really guys, it wasn't me. I have it on reliable authority that people actually saw a reflection of Venus superimposed on phosphorescent swamp gas. Yeah, that's it, swamp gas, in Colorado. Now if you will just look into the little red light I think we can answer all of your questions.

Jim

I just discovered this story while reading up on the FAA proposal regarding regulation of sUAS ops (which is pretty bothersome if you're also into RC)...

Apparently autonomous flights beyond line of sight of multiple relatively large UAS aircraft below 500 AGL after dark with nav/anticollision lights? That's a whole lot of no-nos and effort for anyone on their own - as a long-time modeler and career FAA ATC, I'd bet a quarter or two that someone in the FAA above the local ATC level is in the loop with what's going on.
I'll bet you're right, this has all the earmarks of a Federal operation.

Jim

Back