A-10 Warhog Cockpit + Bull Pup NC = ...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosko_racer

Reaction score
I was cleaning my basement and picked up some old unfinished plastic models... an A-10 and a Millenium Falcon. Lots of parts looked good to keep as details for future rockets. I picked what I thought would be worth keeping and threw the rest to the trash.

Then a vision came to me... how about combining the A-10's cockpit parts with a rocket NC for a future rocket? I looked around and opened one of my three Bull Pups I recently bought from walmart at $8 each. Here is the NC cut and the cockpit instruments laying side by side.

Cockpit is painted and glued to the NC. I even added the pilot. I dry fitted the canopy just to have a feel of the finish product. I still have to paint the inside of the canopy to cover the old green and gray paint. I tried removing the old paint with paint brush cleaner but it did not come off. I may leave it in a bath of windex or something like that. I polished the canopy with NuFinish....

I think it is going to look cool once I find a project for this NC. I have one in mind but will see how it ends...

Fantastic! I can't wait to see the rest of the project.

I've wanted to 'go further' with nose cones for a while now. This is the impetus I need. If I can do half as well as rosko_racer I'll be very pleased!

:p

That's a sweet looking nose cone. I used to do plastic models, and have one I never built. Thanks for the idea. Once again, I can't wait to see how the rocket is going to turn out,:) :)

Rosko: Will you also be putting the GAU-8 into your rocket? :D

Originally posted by DaveCombs
Rosko: Will you also be putting the GAU-8 into your rocket? :D

... That is in the works... It looks so small for the NC, I may scratch build one...I may even put the "Warhog" decals on the NC...

Here is a small update on the A-10 cockpit in a Bull Pup NC...

I added the 1/48th scale GAU-8/A Avenger Gatling gun... I saw one of these in action during a flight show in San Antonio, TX... of course not with real 30mm rounds but still a "sweet sound" :)
I am waiting for the putty to cure so that I can start carving and sanding. I think is looking sweet!!!

I saw one in action up in Indy. It was one of the swettest things I ever heard and saw. The gun looks good. Are you making a fighter rocket?:confused:

Originally posted by rokitflite
I don't think the GAU-8/A Avenger Gatling gun shoots candy...

The GAU-8/A is bigger than I expected too.

I want one!

Originally posted by rokitflite
I don't think the GAU-8/A Avenger Gatling gun shoots candy...
I used my potato cannon to "distribute" candy last Halloween, so I don't see why not... :D (I think it has something to do with delivery speed rather than the payload.)

The reason I was doing this NC can be found on my latest thread "Downscaling the Above Top Secret" on the Scratch Built section...

very interesting idea, also the a-10 is nicknamed "warthog" after the wild pig (rather than warhog.)

Originally posted by stymye
very interesting idea, also the a-10 is nicknamed "warthog" after the wild pig (rather than warhog.)

You are right, I stand corrected...

Originally posted by stymye

I dunno, I would like to see "warhog" decals... Ya know? like a pig dressed up like Rambo or something. I know! "Spambo"!

The larger fins are made from two sections with the wood grain along the leading edges. All fins were laminated with Avery Label sheet and put a light coat of CA along the edges. Sanded the edges to just round trying to maintain a slight square look. Yellow glued the fins and applied a thin layer as fin fillets. Centered the ramjets tubes between the wings and "ventral" (?) fins. I thought about resting them against the wings but settled for the middle

Note: This is slightly smaller than what would be a true downscale of the ATS. Beside the obvious difference on the NC, the wings are bigger making all other fins and ramjets look to be in a different place. I just wanted to add my own "flava" to this build. I like this one.... hmmm, I wonder what the neighbors would say if I go out and run around with the ATS high on my hand... "Test flight!"

I am thinking of doing another one but this time staying on the same lines as the ATS but of course smaller version.

Originally posted by rosko_racer

I am thinking of doing another one but this time staying on the same lines as the ATS but of course smaller version.

BT-60 at least...

ahhhhh.......Warthog parts on a rocket!!!

Now you're talking my language!!

Back