98 Windstar died suddenly

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it died again, same as before. Just turned off and wouldn't start. No symptoms, no warning. If it's the CPS again, could there be something in the van that fried it? I'm also thinking it might be wiring related. Dirty contacts, broken wire, etc. I'll have to wait for my son to get home from his trip and have him check it out.

Well, it died again, same as before. Just turned off and wouldn't start. No symptoms, no warning. If it's the CPS again, could there be something in the van that fried it? I'm also thinking it might be wiring related. Dirty contacts, broken wire, etc. I'll have to wait for my son to get home from his trip and have him check it out.

Anything?

Turn key nothing happens - check battery for 12V / loose wires,
It is trying to start, but doesn't? Does it have spark? - plug, sensor, distributor
If it has spark, does it have fuel? Test your starter. / fuel system

It cranks, but won't start, just like before. I haven't checked anything. I'm having kidney issues, so I have to wait until my son gets home from his trip.

Could be oil leaks inside the wire harness messing with the signal. I've had sensors that develop leaks thru the sensor. You haven't had it long enough for that.
If it is the sensor, check for impact damage. A dent on the head from something floating in the oil pan will do it.
Check the connector side for corrosion on the contacts. Check the other side where the harness goes to the computer for tight connection and corrosion. Look at all connectors between if there are any. Look for chafing of the harness against the engine/frame particularly near the rotating parts and near the exhaust.
If it is another CPS, should still be under warranty. There is always the possibility that it is bad from stock.
As a past owner myself of the Windstar, the biggest problem with it is written on your steering wheel.

Mark

Do you have an OBD code reader? Know what codes (if any) the system is throwing may help with the diagnosis.

Sorry to hear about your health issue.

I believe it is the electronic ignition module. When they go bad everything dies as described. Tends to happen when they get hot. Done times will work after cooling down or sitting for a while. On a Ford it sometimes requires a special tool to change.

That's my guess anyway.

So many rockets, so little time, and money.

Check/clean all the ground connections to the frame. If one or more of those gets a little corroded, it can interfere with all the electronic controls. An easy and cheap thing to try first.

Assuming it's not bad gas (water in the gas will do this sometimes) check the in-tank electric fuel pump. It's really a simple diagnosis when it dies for good........ but I had a 1993 Plymouth Minivan with a fuel pump in the tank that had your symptoms.......... but because the fuel pump didn't want to die..............and had at least 9 lives......we had several frustrating and unforgettable road trips that never seem to end....... If you do all the diagnostics and everything else passes then it's possible the in-tank fuel pump is dying a slow and painful (to you) death.

Bob

Back in the 80s-90s when I worked on cars, the the biggest cause for stumbling, barely running or stop running in Ford cars was the ignition control module.
It mounts on the side of the distributor. Its somewhat easy repair w/ a connector and 2 screws. Ive seen the contacts corrode bad, even the part where the module plugs in to the distributor melt.
I dont remember the check but we would just replace it . But I do remember having to coat the new one w/ a dielectric grease because of the surrounding heat.
This is only an armchair diagnosis. Good luck to you.

My answer and rocketsaway are the same.

So many rockets, so little time, and money.

Well, my son got home and found the problem. Some of the insulation had cracked off the wires, and they shorted out. I'm guessing that was the problem from the beginning. We fixed it as best we could, and I ordered a new harness for a permanent fix.

Well, my son got home and found the problem. Some of the insulation had cracked off the wires, and they shorted out. I'm guessing that was the problem from the beginning. We fixed it as best we could, and I ordered a new harness for a permanent fix.
Good to hear,bro'-hope you get to feeling better soon

Old Ockham's Razor puts in an appearance.

Frayed wiring. Who knew.

Glad to hear your rocket launch vehicle is back in service and that you're feeling somewhat better.

Now get back to building rockets. We're all going through build thread withdrawals over here.

I don't think I'm up to building rockets just yet. Still recovering from this nastiness.

Back