550 cord for recovery?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RalPh8

Reaction score
How good is 550 cord (para-cord) for a recovery harness? I figure it'd work fine since it's meant for paratroopers but I thought I'd just ask. I recently bought some of the cord that also reflective properties and is high visibility red and yellow.

There a lot of Co. selling that they call 550 cord. Its not all the same. Go to a climbing store or look for a climbing spec. cord for the good stuff.

How good is 550 cord (para-cord) for a recovery harness? I figure it'd work fine since it's meant for paratroopers but I thought I'd just ask. I recently bought some of the cord that also reflective properties and is high visibility red and yellow.

I use it in MPR and LPR on occasion but the section nearest the ejection charge needs to be protected, something as simple as a layer of masking tape for about the first 18" and make sure the dog barf is directly on top the charge then the 550 over it.

I have used it extensively in Mid and High Power with the caution that my birds are on the small side. When I started making larger birds I switched over to tubular nylon. The larger width helps with zipper resistance.

I've used it on mid and high power rockets. As mentioned above, you do need to protect it from the ejection charge. I use a short section (12-18") of homemade fire resistant denim or tubular Kevlar as a sheath and masking tape over the quick link end.

Back