44" Loc Angel chute / 3" payload question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim51

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've been using a 44" Loc Angel main chute in my 4" DD rocket with good results. Looking ahead I'm now thinking about a possible 3" rocket, using the same chute. As the 4" payload is 15" / 38cm long, a 3" tube would have to be a lot longer - just under 27" / 67cm length to have the same capacity (188 cubic inches). I've tried fitting the whole burrito in a dummy 3" tube and it looks feasible, but obviously, I want to tackle any issues at the conceptualisation stage rather than after the build, in case in ignorance I'm blithely speeding past a big sign reading 'BAD IDEA'.

My question is therefore whether anyone has experiences to share of fitting a 44" chute in a 3" tube of that sort of length?

I fit a 60" 15gore chute made of 1.9oz ripstop nylon into the upper payload bay of my Frenzy XL clone, with a nomex and recovery harness, just make sure the burrito slides in and out of the tube fairly easily. Another option is using a chute deployment bag and a pilot chute for the bag, which is my new favorite method as the nomex d-bag keeps the chute package from getting to "fat" to slide easily in the airframe.

I fit a 60" 15gore chute made of 1.9oz ripstop nylon into the upper payload bay of my Frenzy XL clone, with a nomex and recovery harness, just make sure the burrito slides in and out of the tube fairly easily. Another option is using a chute deployment bag and a pilot chute for the bag, which is my new favorite method as the nomex d-bag keeps the chute package from getting to "fat" to slide easily in the airframe.

Thanks - good to know. Deployment bag is a good idea.

Back