3D Printing 3D printed clear plastic fin sets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've seen filament printed clear plastic fin sets, and they are more translucent than clear.
Questions:
Would sanding and polishing these produce a clearer result?
Would the use of a resin printer instead of filament produce a better result?
(I think I know the answer)

Based on a quick bit of googling, it does appear that you can get pretty clear results with resin... if you're willing to go through the whole polishing process:
().
I'm not really sure how strong they'd be though (strength of resin structures like that is unknown to me).

With filament the amount of sanding and polishing you'd need would be kind of nuts... not sure how clear you could eventually make it. I'd think that it'd be easier to apply a filler to the outside, with the same index of refraction as the filament, to smooth it out.

I think the answer is that this is all not worth the trouble.

I've seen filament printed clear plastic fin sets, and they are more translucent than clear.
Questions:
Would sanding and polishing these produce a clearer result?
Would the use of a resin printer instead of filament produce a better result?
(I think I know the answer)
My experiments with printing clear petg have not proven to produce better than translucent results, mostly I think its due to the layer lines are still visible through the part. I have tried solvents, sanding and polishing and flame treatments but have yet to get results much better than being able to recognize the obect on the other side and read blurred lettering on it (like a Jelly Roll ink pen). Maybe some SLA printers can do it, but the FDM printers which I personally have I have yet to produce a clear finished product.

Printing clear is not easy. It takes the right filament, a slow speed, and post print treatment.

I haven't tested this yet myself, but I will eventually:

Latest posts

Back