3/19/11 Tampa Tripoli Launch Photos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Greetings all - it feels like 1/2 a year has gone by since I've been out to the flying field to fly or photograph any rockets...oh wait, maybe it's been about 4-5 months! Anyhow, the turnout was great as was the weather. A pesky breeze made things challenging on occasion, but overall the skies were clear blue and some of the best I've seen for rocketry flying in a while. I only had 3 modest flights. Lately I've been enjoying photographing more than I have been flying. That being said, I got to fly my upscale BullPup on a G76G, 2.6" dia Gyroc on a G53J, and a from-scratch NCR Hypersonic 950 on a D12. Astron Mike had many great flights on his crowd pleasing gliders. Many great photos to share so let's get to it.

PS - If you've ever considered flying at the Tampa Tripoli site don't wait! The field is awesome and we had someone kiss the 12k waiver at the latest launch! There's a vendor onsite for your motor and rocketry stuff needs so don't delay!

12k_Flight_Contrail_100dpi.jpg

12k_Flight_LiftOff_100dpi.jpg

BFN_Liftoff_100dpi.jpg

AT_Sumo_Boost_100dpi.jpg

BullPup_Recover_100dpi.jpg

Here are a few sequence shots of "Astron Mike's" gliders to include a twin-Marauder configuration. With the exception of an earlier nose dive on a failed glide transition from a Bomarc, everything turned out fantastic glide times. Nice job Mike!

Astron_LG_Prep_100dpi.jpg

Astron_LG_Liftoff_100dpi.jpg

Astron_LG_Glide_100dpi.jpg

Astron_Twin_Prep_100dpi.jpg

Astron_Twin_Gliders_100dpi.jpg

Mixed in are 2 different Delta scale rockets and a few other misc. shots.

Aft_Motor_100dpi.jpg

Comanche_2_100dpi.jpg

Delta_Scale_Prep_100dpi.jpg

Delta_Lift-Off_100dpi.jpg

Delta_Boost_100dpi.jpg

I've always enjoyed the anticipation and anxiety that builds up at the pads just prior to a launch. Nerves are everywhere. It's always good to see flyers helping each other out whether it's with sandpaper, pad adjustments, or simply figuring out what leads go where.

Deuces_Wild_Prep_100dpi.jpg

EMC_HyperSonic_100dpi.jpg

Father_Son_Team_100dpi.jpg

HoJo_Prep_100dpi.jpg

LCO_Smile_100dpi.jpg

Capturing successful lift-off shots are for me essentially that "last goodbye" when you send a rocket on its way. Sometimes flights dont turn out so well and all you've got left is the last great still image prior to a kit deconstructing in some way.

Graduator_F40_100dpi.jpg

Hyp950_Recovery_100dpi.jpg

Flying_Ernie_100dpi.jpg

KMotor_Liftoff_100dpi.jpg

Orange_HPR_100dpi.jpg

The Univ. of Florida was on site to fly their L powered rocket. After several failed launch attempts they finally got their rocket into the air only to later have it land in the woods at the edge of the field. I hope they were able to recover the payload which was essential to their visit.

Patriot_Redline_100dpi.jpg

UF_Rocket_Team_Walk_100dpi.jpg

UF_Rocket_100dpi.jpg

UF_Rocket_Team_100dpi.jpg

Attachments

• Orange_HPR_100dpi.jpg
    Orange_HPR_100dpi.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 0
Some more misc on-the-range shots.

If you were in attendance at TTRA on 3/19 and have an image request please let me know via PM with a description of what you flew. I took 500+ photos and chances are yours is in my digital album.

Thanks all for checking out the pics!

Rockets_Pads_Ready_100dpi.jpg

SatV_Recovery_100dpi.jpg

V2_Boost_100dpi.jpg

GMean_Machine_100dpi.jpg

Here are a few sequence shots of "Astron Mike's" gliders to include a twin-Marauder configuration. With the exception of an earlier nose dive on a failed glide transition from a Bomarc, everything turned out fantastic glide times. Nice job Mike!

Hey! Thanks for such great photos, Eugene!

The larger glider in the first three pics is the Astron SST (light version), flying very well on a G64. Dead straight boost, ejection/transition right at apogee, and a nice glide back to boot. Never gets old....

The gliders in those last two shots is actually *two* Marauder LV's being hauled up on a special carrier I kludged up for that purpose. Note that these are NOT parasite gliders.....they fly by themselves just fine, especially on D5s, so I just made this 'accessory' to run two of them at once. Flew this stack twice, first on a D12, then on an E9. Really glad to see this work so well.

As for Bomarcs....well.....it wasn't thier day at all! :rant: My 3" cardstock/Depron version, which had like 10 successful flights on it so far, decided that today it forgot which direction horizontal was on recovery. Everything looked fine on it, must have been a weird transition fluke. Easy fix.

10 flights, 9 good or better flights, still a great day overall.

AWESOME photos!!! If you weren't so far away, I'd come and visit!

AWESOME photos!!! If you weren't so far away, I'd come and visit!

I guess we can excuse you given your location puts you across the country! Thanks for the compliments on the photos. I enjoy taking them just as much as I do flying rockets.

I take a lot of photos and videos too. I love the memories they bring.

Excellent
icon14.gif

Looks like a lot of fun! We're looking at a possible move to Tampa, so if we do move we'll se you guys out there!

Braden

Back