2008 TARC - what a day!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n5wd

Reaction score
The 2008 TARC went off without a hitch at the Great Meadows Equestrian Center near Manassas, Virginia, today. Super weather, over 1,000 verrrrrry enthusiastic youngsters flying, and a great show put on by the NAR and the AIA.

The top three:

#1 - Enloe High School, Raleigh NC
#2 - Mulberry Grove HS, Mulberry Grove IL
#3 - Kickapoo Hs, Springfield MO

It's been raining around here for weeks and weeks, according to the locals we spoke with. The aircrew that was taking us from Dallas-Fort Worth to Washington Dulles, yesterday, was bemoaning the weather that they had just left. When we arrived in the early afternoon, there was still standing water on the tarmac... skies looked yucky... and it wasn't looking too good, despite the weather forecasts. The skies were decidedly unfriendly during the drive to Battlefield HS for the competitor's meeting last night (Friday). But once inside, you forgot about all that when you saw all the bright-eyed and bushy-tailed young'uns who were just chomping at the bit to go flying.

That meeting, by the way, was where Mark Bundick, aka Bunny on the online forums, announced that this was his last TARC as NAR President, that he would be stepping down soon.

This morning was cool, but not a cloud in the sky as we loaded up the expedition to head out to the competition site, about 15 miles northwest of Manassas. Got to watch a few other teams launch, then it was time for our girls to get ready. They flew an almost perfect 44-point-something seconds, but wound up about 30 feet high - 30.23 was their score. Alas, not enough to place us in the top 18 for the flyoffs, but we're proud of 'em nonetheless.

The team from Denton (TX) HS JROTC wound up in 10th place - we shared an NAR mentor team in Jack and Suzy Sprague, so Jack was busy changing shirts all day to support them or us, as needed.

Didn't meet up with anyone who identified themselves as being on TRF, though I know other folks said they were going to be there. Maybe next time we'll fly a TRF logo or something on a flagstaff.

Pix to come a little bit later after a shower and a bit of time to catch my breath... it's been a long day!

it was a Great day at MDRA! Glad it all went good.

Ben

It was truly an amazing day/weekend! According to the forecast, there are heavy rains thursday, friday, sunday, and monday - but it's sunny on Saturday!!!
My team ended up flying in round two and got an amazing score of 15.02, putting us in 7th place. We launched again in the top 18 but the winds threw us off, dropping us down to 13th place. We're ridiculously excited, especially because of SLI. And this was our first year :)
And the B2 Bomber flyover was GREAT! I didn't know it would fly *that* low! I got some amazing pics.
Pics, BTW, will arrive when I get home tomorrow (7 am flight - I get to wake up at 4:30 am :().

Any people who were at the finals - my team was the one with the painting masks as our uniform. Maybe you saw us?

And now my entire team (10 people) wants to go into Aerospace engineering! And about 50 more kids want to join the club next year.

I think we should all thank Trip, Bunny, and Audrey. They did a wonderful job. And the BBQ dinner was pretty tasty ;)

Didn't meet up with anyone who identified themselves as being on TRF, though I know other folks said they were going to be there. Maybe next time we'll fly a TRF logo or something on a flagstaff.
Yep, I was there, the NAR guy with the bushy graying ponytail. We need some TRF hat pins made up so we can spot each other at events like these. One chap did recognize me from TRF by the name on my shirt.

It was truly an amazing day/weekend! According to the forecast, there are heavy rains thursday, friday, sunday, and monday - but it's sunny on Saturday!!!
[snip]
Any people who were at the finals - my team was the one with the painting masks as our uniform. Maybe you saw us?
Yup, that explains why one of your team members had day-glo orange paint covering most of his right hand, at least.

My team ended up flying in round two and got an amazing score of 15.02, putting us in 7th place. We launched again in the top 18 but the winds threw us off, dropping us down to 13th place. We're ridiculously excited, especially because of SLI. And this was our first year :)

You and your team did VERY well. This competition, according to the Contest director is "way hard". Making it to the finals is achievement in and of itself, to say nothing of making the flyoff!

And the B2 Bomber flyover was GREAT!

I was standing with the Northrop Grumman rep when it did the flyby. :)

I think we should all thank Trip, Bunny, and Audrey.

You are quite welcome, sir! We enjoy a chance to "pay forward"!

...Here are our pics: ....

Cool beans! Looks like we followed your exact footsteps on the D.C. tour, except we stopped at Arlington National Cemetery and just drove by the Marine Corps Memorial. Gonna go back to the Air & Space Museum tommorrow, aswell as hitting the FBI, the Library of Congress, and the Newseum if I can talk the girls into it. The weather was a lot better today, than Friday... just a little bit of rain while we were inside the Smithsonian, then pretty nice otherwise.

But, wouldn't you know it... I forgot the cable to be able to download the pictures from this non-standard Sony H3 so I had to go to Walmart tonight to buy a new memory card. So, I don't have the pictures downloaded and resized for the web, yet, but if you're interested the Fort Worth Star-Telegram ran a photograph and story about the girls (and got my ugly mug in the picture, too)...

It's at: https://www.star-telegram.com/northeast/story/649886.html

Pictures from TARC after we get back home Tuesday evening.

Oh, the official listing puts us at #32. Not bad for a first year effort. We'll definitely be back with a vengence ... Katie's already plotting her new team!

Nice newspaper article!
I'm also already "plotting" for next year. We have a few tricks up our sleeves to steal that first place spot next year ;). I was really happy when my entire team (sophs and juniors) said they not only want to continue the club - they want to start working on next year's competition this weekend!
And did you get any sponsors? Two sponsors gave us hats and started talking to us - basically asking us if we needed money for this/next year. We'll definitely be following up with them in the fall!

I was there working on the Von Braun range.

One thing I heard on the radio chatter was ESPN was there and wanted to a interview with one of the NAR leaders. Did I hear right? ESPN?

Any idea when/ when will it air?

One thing I heard on the radio chatter was ESPN was there and wanted to a interview with one of the NAR leaders. Did I hear right? ESPN?

That would be great! I did see a couple professional looking camera crews. I wonder if that was ESPN? I hope someone is releasing something especially because there is no DVD this year :(

Don't know about ESPN but there was a film crew with CBS on their hats.

Back