20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran a couple paint test today with silver rusto--bright metallics. The pics I took really stink so I won't post those but here's what I came up with so far. The first test I sprayed it on a finished primed surface and the overcoated it while still wet with rust gloss clear ultra cover----NO GO--JUST MOTTLED--Next I tried to spray the clear over the silver after it had dried--BETTER BUT IT DARKENED THE SILVER--not really grey, and not what I'm looking for. Finally I laid a coat of finishing epoxy over the silver and it was really close to what I wanted but not quite there yet. This was all done on a flat surface so tomorrow I'll pic up a vase with some nice rounded compound curves and spray it silver. I'll let it set a couple days and then try the epoxy over it and see how it looks.IF that works , then I'll go down that road--difficult at best and I could really screw the pooch if I blow it. If the vase does not work out I'll most likely paint the old girl something close to ADC grey and gloss the snot out of her--Times on my side right now with this stinkin Febu-ugly weather. The look I'd like to get is sort of a liquid metal--not really chrome---seems to be a tough nut to crack at a reasonable price--I think I'll have a glass of wine and some marshmellons and ponder about it!!

Last edited:
OK, so I got on the paint experiment today. I went to wallyworld and piced up a plastic container that mimics the curve of a rocket body. First I tried Krylon ColorMaster silver metallic--the cap shows a mirror finish. The result is far from the cap. After 4 coats--2 light-1 medium and a final heavy--it looked nice but had a metalflake look to it. It drys in about 15 minutes but dulls out---100_2267.jpg---not to worry, they say it can be clearcoated. I used Krylon ColorMaster crystal clear--suprisingly it did not darken the silver but actually lightened it up!! It did pull a little of the metalflake look out but was still not what I'm looking for---100_2268.jpg-- that said I'll use this technique on a later date on something else---Next I rolled the container over and sprayed 3 coats of Rust-oleum American accents Bright metallic silver--it takes quite a while to dry but goes on looking exactly like what I want--no metalflake--just looks liquid--100_2275.jpg--I'll let this dry overnight and try to clear it with Krylon--my previous try with Rusto clear darked it--Here are two comparison shots --Krylon--100_2270.jpg-Rusto-100_2275.jpg---The search continues tomorrow--H

Well I've decided to do it. I drew up a rough set of plans last night--1/1 scale Length worked out to 36.5 in--span is right at 14 in and the widest part of the body is 5 in:y: If you like squat rocket this might be the one! I'll start in earnest after Black Friday. I laid a 29mm retainer down and a yardstick for scale. Final measurements were based on the tailcone being 2.5 in across. This left me enough room the recess the retainer and bury the lugs in the body. All other measurements were pulled from the initial tail cone and scaled up.---View attachment 104288View attachment 104289View attachment 104290---View attachment 104291View attachment 104292----in case you don't recognize it!

One of my favorite movies as a kid, looking forward to seeing it when you're finished.

Verna
www.vernarockets.com
https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm

I am about as far from a paint expert as you can get, but I think the color you have on it now looks pretty nice. Is there anything you can do over this current color that would bring out the effect you want? Maybe a light bluish clear coat?

Yea. I think I'll go with the Rusto metallic silver. Ay least It goes on nice and starts out with a high luster. I thought about the clear with a hint of blue but it seems any clear over the rusto just turns it grey.Itried it on the container this morning. I guess when I finish it I'll have to handle it with gloves and come up with a covered display case. I might get the paint on by tonight--still a little finishing to do here and there. I imagine after the first launch it will be scuffed to hell and back--we'll see. I've got a hunch the painting is gonna tale a couple days--I'll try to lay several coats and hope for the best. --H

Laid down the first lite coats of paint. This stuff runs easy so I went lite to begin with--hence the little bit of mottle--I'll let the sit overnight and hit it again tomorrow night after some inspection and any light sanding I may need--so far I'm happy with it!!--100_2276.jpg-100_2277.jpg-100_2278.jpg

Last edited:
Probably wouldn't work, but anybody ever tried adding a little bit of color to Future Shine to create "hued" clear coat? Does Future dull metallic finishes rather than set them off?

Probably wouldn't work, but anybody ever tried adding a little bit of color to Future Shine to create "hued" clear coat? Does Future dull metallic finishes rather than set them off?

Ya know, It's funny you mention the Future Shine. I went to bed last night and started think about it for this job--I've never used it before but a lot of the gang on TRF live and die by it. I don't know what you could use to color it---maybe a water base or even food coloring might work. A blue toned chrome would be cool. I keep looking at that paint can in the store--Not blue but just a tick to the blue side---hmmm

Food coloring should do the trick.
Ive always wanted to ad it to white glue...just cuz....see what happens.???

Anywhoo....As it's been said many a times and it's worth saying again.....
th

And,that(your) is me kind of pigment theme, decals should be a breeze....:grin:
Im not big on turning me birds into billboards.

Last edited:
From The Complete Future about halfway down: https://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html:
" If you want to create your own shades of transparent colors, food coloring can be mixed with Future for the desired effect. Tamiya clear colors work well as toners also. If you mess up, you haven't invested as much money as you would combining clear paints.

For those gold tinted canopies on contemporary jet fighters try adding a few drops of Tamiya acrylic gold to a couple teaspoons of Future. "

So it should work out well might need some experimentation to get the effect you want though

Last edited:
Heads up mjennings, that link is broken --- you need a space before the colon after the URL.

Still thinking about the future. I'm gonna make a test run on the container in a few days. I got the next coat on and seems to be headed in the right direction. One thing--the can had a little liwer preasure and the paint did'nt go on as smooth--got a little dicey at first but I stuck with it and stood back a ways and it seemed to flow out better . This is not the final coat . I'll let this one sit for a few days and then attack it again. For the time being , it's on hold for inventory--Hav'nt we been here before--GEEEESE this is a long project. Anyway, here's the pics--I'll clean the camera lens tonight!--100_2283.jpg-100_2284.jpg-100_2285.jpg---Thanks for watching---H---Oh yea, pics are taken with no flash !

white glue and food coloring
I've tried it (about 1 drop of dye to 5 cc's of glue), for me it came out kind of pale and transparent, but I was brushing it on real thin, I don't know how it would turn out as say a glue fillet.
Rex

Are you really going to be brave enough to fly it? More than once? Give me a heads-up, this would be worth the travel down!

It took you awhile to finish it up. But I'll say this, it's just evil wicked hornet driver. Grate job.

Absolutely! :cool:

When do you think you will launch it? Got to get some photos of that! :cool:

Verna
www.vernarockets.com
https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm

I still have to sew the chute. Sooner gave me some material and it's PERFECT FOR THIS PROJECT. I figure I'm about a month out if the weather/ wind plays to my favor. I had Deb hold it up for a qwik pic tonight--should give a better perspective of size and the other pics sorta shorten the look--here ya go--100_2288.jpg-100_2289.jpg--compared to my other stuff this thing is a beast--still need to finish sand --AGAIN-- and a couple more coats of silver--down hill from there---H

That is a really sweet rocket! It looks a lot bigger than in the other pictures. Just out of curiosity, where is the launch lug (or rail buttons)?

Buried on the inside. I still need to drill out the small exit hole up front. once I've got that done I can finish sand that area and lay down the last paint.

Well, we had a good day of weather,inventory is over and I was off. Soooo, I decided to moist sand the beast and lay down the last coat of paint. Came out pretty good except for one small run on the belly--I'll live with it. Silver is a pain to work with and I doubt I'll ever get it perfect. Here are some pics. The silver tends to dry and lose a little gloss. I tried some future on my test container and was pleased with the results. It did shift to the grey side just a tick but not bad. At the end of the day I took a leap of faith and put a coat of Future on the cone---I'm really happy with the outcome. This is the first time I've used it -there is a learning curve but I'm sold---Anyway , these pics are before the Future application --I'll get pics out in the morning of the waxed version------100_2296.jpg--100_2292.jpg--Sorry about the strange paint contraption--in an apartment , you do what ya gotta do!!

Don't forget the hole for the launch lug! Note I speak from experience:facepalm:
For kicks, any chance of trying future with food coloring or other tint on a scrap piece with that nice silver paint?

Back