2,460 Feet on an E-12-8

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Density of Tungsten: 19.28 g/cm3
Density of Osmium: 22.5 g/cm3

I mean, if you're going to go all spendy, why not go all the way?
One of my favorite facts about osmium is that you can't exceed the maximum weight of a small USPS flat rate box even with a pure brick of it.

Great flight, PDawg. Start using Open Rocket, now. Become familiar with it, dial it into your construction characteristics, with your launch altitude and temperatures. When you fly Min Diameter HPR, like I do, you'll spent less time in the learning curve for Open Rocket. You might need to invest in a radio location finder for your Min Dia HPR rockets. I have several G powered that fly to 4,000 - 7,000 ft altitudes and they are very difficult to visually track.
I just started on the forum, I dabble exclusively with LPR, but would like to eventually graduate to HPR. I use Apogee's Rocksim, but I keep seeing you all reference Open Rocket. Is that more of a high power thing or does it compare somewhat to Rocksim? Thanks in advance!

I just started on the forum, I dabble exclusively with LPR, but would like to eventually graduate to HPR. I use Apogee's Rocksim, but I keep seeing you all reference Open Rocket. Is that more of a high power thing or does it compare somewhat to Rocksim? Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum. I'm also relatively new, less than a year on the forum.

The main difference between Rocksim and OpenRocket is cost. I have used both. They both have some quirky issues. Whichever one you use, learn it. They both simulate the majority of LPR to HPR Level 2 design needs. I reference OpenRocket because of its larger usage base in the forum.

When I became a BAR I got h{ked in by the trial version of RockSim (RS). It's actually a big part of why I became a BAR. I tried Open Rocket (OR) and it didn't seem mature at the time, so I paid the money for RS. since all of the updates have been cheap or free, I've stuck with it as it's the tool I know well. If I were starting again today I'd save my money.

T
Welcome to the forum. I'm also relatively new, less than a year on the forum.

The main difference between Rocksim and OpenRocket is cost. I have used both. They both have some quirky issues. Whichever one you use, learn it. They both simulate the majority of LPR to HPR Level 2 design needs. I reference OpenRocket because of its larger usage base in the forum.
Thanks! Since it is already paid for, I will stick with Rocksim.

When I became a BAR I got h{ked in by the trial version of RockSim (RS). It's actually a big part of why I became a BAR. I tried Open Rocket (OR) and it didn't seem mature at the time, so I paid the money for RS. since all of the updates have been cheap or free, I've stuck with it as it's the tool I know well. If I were starting again today I'd save my money.
I am also already invested in Rocksim, and so far it has worked pretty well for me, so I will keep using it. As a BAR myself, I think back to my rocketry experience in the early 70's, and marvel how I ever got anything to fly decently by using WAG as the basis for designing and flying a rocket!

Hey, it's only rocket science; how hard can it be?
It's not hard if things are simple and reasonable. Once you get into High Power or wild designs it's no longer simple.

Last edited:
Back