1st fillets on fins...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsbhunter

Reaction score
Ok, first time with epoxy(on rockets) . Other than a couple minor hiccups on internal fin fillets, I started on the external fillets. Used the large tongue depresser, magic marker on edge to make lines for tape on fins and body. Taped everything, mixed some BSI 15 min epoxy, poured and prayed ! Let the epoxy firm up, removed tape, and I am amazed at the results!!! Glass smooth. One more set of fillets, and all fins will be done. Is one layer enough? Pic below to show fillets....Thanks to all the people on this forum, and the youtubers for the help and advice for my first medium power rocket ....Madcow DX3 2.6"....rsbhunter

Attachments

• 20240410_081403.jpg
    20240410_081403.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
Wow, that's amazing! That's a lot better than my first attempt. Yes, one layer of fillets is enough, or at least for all of my rockets, 1 layer has been enough.

I am so glad it went this well...usually I end up with paper towels epoxied to my arms, shirt...trying to wipe it off the rocket, shards of blue paper shop towels hanging off , etc. Like said, thanks to all on the forum....you all are awesome! If I ever get to the point of going for my level 1, I know any success will be because of this forum...rsbhunter

I am so glad it went this well...usually I end up with paper towels epoxied to my arms, shirt...trying to wipe it off the rocket, shards of blue paper shop towels hanging off , etc. Like said, thanks to all on the forum....you all are awesome! If I ever get to the point of going for my level 1, I know any success will be because of this forum...rsbhunter

Next time use ISO Alcohol on the towels to wipe epoxy off. It is less toxic then Acetone to clean with when it has not cured yet. If some gets on a rocket part it should not, ISO/towel I use to wipe it off.

Yes , I have both 97% and 99% isopropyl, it can be used for alot of things.....gonna buy a gallon of 97%....it does help in cleaning up. rsbhunter

They look great. Good job sir!
It took me almost 69 years to become patient enough to do a little at a time! Thank you. I almost forgot how much fun this is...I can drive about 5 min and be at my launch area...for the low power kits I have done...I'm thinking on a real calm day, I should be able to launch this one also...but that is a ways off. I've got a Jolly logic coming Friday, and will get a gps unit in the future....Thank you again

I use Brawny tear square paper towels. Create a pile of squares and use them to wipe up and throw away unwanted epoxy as you go along. Works realy well in preventing a mess.

I have used white vinegar to clean up uncured epoxy. Works great. Don't get any on epoxy that you want to cure properly.

It took me almost 69 years to become patient enough to do a little at a time! Thank you. I almost forgot how much fun this is...I can drive about 5 min and be at my launch area...for the low power kits I have done...I'm thinking on a real calm day, I should be able to launch this one also...but that is a ways off. I've got a Jolly logic coming Friday, and will get a gps unit in the future....Thank you again
Well I am only 50, but I hear you. This is the most coolest, funniest, thing ever. 1 year ago I had no idea I could launch high power rockets. All I knew was estes black powder motors. These things are just fun.
I hope you have as much fun as I do.

If you decide to build a fiberglass rocket, give @WILDMANRS a look. The journey 75 is a tough, fun, straight forward rocket.

Mine has been chewed by a dog that wanted to retrieve it like a duck on my L1 flight, fallen from 2300 feet with the chute fouled, and knocked over by my dog several times. Flies great, just scarred paint.

Also, @Onebadhawk harnesses and swivels really are worth the little bit extra they cost. Actually worth much more than the little bit extra they cost.

Thanks for the links. This came with a 30" chute, using the JL, I'm considering going to a 36"-40/42" chute to slow decent. Where I fly is an old airport, and I launch on the runway, so there is a chance of landing on it (tar). Of course, wind will be the deciding factor, but for the first launch, I'll wait for 0-2 mph wind. These dang things are like a new car, the first scratch or dent is terrifying! rsbhunter

These dang things are like a new car, the first scratch or dent is terrifying! rsbhunter

I know the feeling. But each time it gets scratched I get over it and then fly it more. But the next one that I spend lots of time on [which is not every one] I get right back into not wanting a scratch on it

Seems the ones that are scratched get flown more then the Hanger Queens 😂

Latest posts

Back