1800 # rated "Mule Tape", suitable for HPR shock cords??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

86mustang408w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Like the title says, just asking I have access to several hundred yards for free. Any reason this won't work??? Its polyester not nylon though.. Its just a question, nothing permanent has been done yet. Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20230626_114903.jpg
    20230626_114903.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Like the title says, just asking I have access to several hundred yards for free. Any reason this won't work??? Its polyester not nylon though.. Its just a question, nothing permanent has been done yet. Thank you!!

Taking a close look at the photo..if it's golden/honey color it's kevlar....a flame test will tell.
Kevlar is good also...I have a spool of it and frequently mix and match..
The following refers to polyester mule tape: yep..works great I have 3 spools of it 900#, 1250# and 2500# protect it as you would a nylon shock cord..I like it for it's cost and it has "some" stretch to it.

Taking a close look at the photo..if it's golden/honey color it's kevlar....a flame test will tell.
Kevlar is good also...I have a spool of it and frequently mix and match..
The following refers to polyester mule tape: yep..works great I have 3 spools of it 900#, 1250# and 2500# protect it as you would a nylon shock cord..I like it for it's cost and it has "some" stretch to it.
Its a golden honey color, he said it was 1800 pound test. Ill go put torch to it, he literally has like 2000 yards. I'm not kidding, lol..

Yes. Our website is Tripolimontana.org or bigskyrocketry.org.
I have a friend that lived in Belgrade, I went to visit him quite a few times. He first worked construction in Big Sky. I would go out on vacation and hang out with him, up to Lone Mountain checking over his contacts and construction jobs going on. Is Choppers still out there? We ate there once it was pretty cool. We went to Yellowstone in 2007 I think, but I went every sometimes twice a year when I worked for UPS between 2007 and 2011. He had a pizza shop in Belgrade about 13 years ago called 5 Star Pizzeria. It wasn't far from Four Corners. Had a blast out there, would fly out Sat, come home next Sunday. I miss it, I love that country, very jealous you have a lot of nice land out there for launches! I never thought about it back when I went out there but now, wow. Just the drive from Big Sky to Bozeman was life changing for me, anyways. Thank you for the Response, and take care out in that Mountain air.

Michael B.

I have a friend that lived in Belgrade, I went to visit him quite a few times. He first worked construction in Big Sky. I would go out on vacation and hang out with him, up to Lone Mountain checking over his contacts and construction jobs going on. Is Choppers still out there? We ate there once it was pretty cool. We went to Yellowstone in 2007 I think, but I went every sometimes twice a year when I worked for UPS between 2007 and 2011. He had a pizza shop in Belgrade about 13 years ago called 5 Star Pizzeria. It wasn't far from Four Corners. Had a blast out there, would fly out Sat, come home next Sunday. I miss it, I love that country, very jealous you have a lot of nice land out there for launches! I never thought about it back when I went out there but now, wow. Just the drive from Big Sky to Bozeman was life changing for me, anyways. Thank you for the Response, and take care out in that Mountain air.

Michael B.
Next time you’re here see if we’re launching!

Next time you’re here see if we’re launching!
I haven't been out since 2011, but I want to make that trip and visit again!! So I will probably drive to Bozeman, rent a hotel for a week around one of your launch days. I'm dead serious too, lol. Here's a gew pics from my trips I just took off my Facebook page. I have about 2000 photos, no lie. One CD my buddy made out there had 900 and some photos from one trip. Bit ill keep you in mind, take care!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230627-125904_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230627-125904_Facebook.jpg
    839.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230627-125913_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230627-125913_Facebook.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
I haven't been out since 2011, but I want to make that trip and visit again!! So I will probably drive to Bozeman, rent a hotel for a week around one of your launch days. I'm dead serious too, lol. Here's a gew pics from my trips I just took off my Facebook page. I have about 2000 photos, no lie. One CD my buddy made out there had 900 and some photos from one trip. Bit ill keep you in mind, take care!!
You’ll want to look at rooms in nearby towns also. Bozeman motel rooms last summer were about $400/night. Belgrade is a little better.

You’ll want to look at rooms in nearby towns also. Bozeman motel rooms last summer were about $400/night. Belgrade is a little better.
Yeah my bad I wasn't thinking. He lived in Belgrade in Greentree Drive, his Pizza shop was in thatblittle pond area and white building they have in that little "community".

I have some that is 1800lb kevlar pull tape. I like it for some high power use. I think it makes a good leader then transition to tubular nylon.

The material and how it's woven make for a tricky stitch with my sewing awl, I will have to experiment more if I plan to use it in rockets over 20lbs.

Not a fan of the nylon pull tape I used to have. I suppose there are variances out there in the wild but my experience was sub par. The stuff I had frayed easily and seemed like it was a super duper dirt magnet which by all appearances seemed to make it weaker. And like others have said with the nylon type it is imperative to protect it from ejection charges. I never had a lot of faith in the stuff...at least the kind I had.

YMMV

Thanks for all the responses. For some reason my phone isn't notifying me of these posts. I'll just have to go back and read over them. But this mule tape looks like it might be good to use. I've been looking at other pcs the guy I got it from used it on. Most of the stuff is outside and years old, and it looks to be in decent shape still. not fraying, it's still together. So Ill probably use this on a rocket and test it out first for a little while before I use it on all of my builds. It's tough finding that kind of stuff, even online and when this was presented I literally jumped on it. I'm not trying to be a cheapskate. But if it works, I've saved some money and have more than I'll probably use. So that's where I'm at right now. I haven't started any new builds yet, as I'm still fixing an old collection I recently got back.

To the motor tube or a knot of your choice on an eyelet bolt that's in the forward centering ring, that's what I'm doing...
I keep seeing on this forum that knots, I'm assuming tightly cinched knots, reduce the tensile strength of kevlar? I've also seen some mention of particular knots the are preferred when tying kevlar. Does anyone have a good summary of how to use kevlar as a rope/strap...?

I keep seeing on this forum that knots, I'm assuming tightly cinched knots, reduce the tensile strength of kevlar? I've also seen some mention of particular knots the are preferred when tying kevlar. Does anyone have a good summary of how to use kevlar as a rope/strap...?
My thoughts too were maybe that tighter knots would reduce the strength. I've been using a few type of knots, they seem to hold up fairly well. I was actually looking for this thread to update that the mule tape worked out exceptionally well for a high power flight. I mean they have ratchet straps, thats honestly where im going to get some shock cords. The most preferred method is a stitched loop, but I haven't got that far yet. Winter is here, I can mess round more.

I've been using buntline knots out of the airframe, then method in the video below (about 5 mins in) for those eyelets in the airframe. I also use quickinks, swivels, etc...

Attachments

• 20231103_124641.jpg
    20231103_124641.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231103_125526.jpg
    20231103_125526.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231103_125717.jpg
    20231103_125717.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231103_125859.jpg
    20231103_125859.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231104_143439.jpg
    20231104_143439.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • VideoCapture_20231104-200737.jpg
    VideoCapture_20231104-200737.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 0
I've alow had luck "looping" the shock cord. I'm not sure of the credit term but it doesn't seem to cut down on the strength and allows a quicklink to be added if necessary.

Attachments

• 20231109_175416.jpg
    20231109_175416.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231109_175441.jpg
    20231109_175441.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231109_175346.jpg
    20231109_175346.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Not a fan of the nylon pull tape I used to have. I suppose there are variances out there in the wild but my experience was sub par. The stuff I had frayed easily and seemed like it was a super duper dirt magnet which by all appearances seemed to make it weaker. And like others have said with the nylon type it is imperative to protect it from ejection charges. I never had a lot of faith in the stuff...at least the kind I had.

YMMV
This stuff has been pretty good so far, I mean I have a lot of it so it made sense to try it. We've also used it for many things over the years and it holds up well. If its needed ill use a little CA to stop fraying but haven't seen it do much so far.

Back