1" Rail lug in 1.5" rail?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gambit7

Reaction score
Is it possible to use a 1" Launch Rail guide inside of a 1.5" Launch rail? Reason I'm asking is because I've got 80/20 1515 (1.5" aluminum railing) locally, but I cant seem to find any 1010 (1" railing).

If I can use the 1" lugs inside of a 1.5" I may as well go for the 1.5" as it'll allow the obvious upgrade path anyways for larger rockets.

Thanks
Shawn

p.s.
I'd probably buy black sky's rail but they're out of business for the time being :(

No, don't use crickets...they'd just make a mess on the rail and not help very much.

(I have no idea if it'll work....take a rocket with the rail buttons on it to the rail and see....thats what I'd do)

Originally posted by heada

(I have no idea if it'll work....take a rocket with the rail buttons on it to the rail and see....thats what I'd do)

TADA!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a winner!

If you have a local source for the rail, test fit your buttons or guides before you buy. Then, post your findings here.

In the end, we have a scientific (well, sort of) answer to the question that you posted, and the entire Rocket Community benefits from your effort.

Cheers!

Originally posted by Gambit7
(crickets)

Don't get too excited about the reply times, there, Mr. Instant Satisfaction. ( ;) )

People work and stuff. Look at the time stamps on your posts. Speaking for myself, I was at work without any Internet Access at all until about 6:00 pm (CST), and then it took me a while to do "the home thing," sit down here at the computer, then find this website, find your post, and respond.

LOL :D

Never ceases to amaze me the posts I see in here sometimes. Rocketry people are... well... different it seems.

Anyways, I was hoping this would save me the trip to "The Source," but I will take one for the team and drive out there and see.

Will report back here at around 1600 EST tomorrow.

Actually if you are planning around standard rail buttons and !010 rail, yes you can use the smaller buttons on the bigger rail. The only thing is you want to watch your rocket weight as it is possible to pull the buttons out of the rail. Adding a stell washer between the outer flange and the spacer helps.

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
Actually if you are planning around standard rail buttons and !010 rail, yes you can use the smaller buttons on the bigger rail. The only thing is you want to watch your rocket weight as it is possible to pull the buttons out of the rail. Adding a stell washer between the outer flange and the spacer helps.

Good idea, thanks

Buy the correct larger buttons, then if you can not use the same screw attachment, simply add a washer under the screw head and attach the larger button just like the smaller one.
Go with the 1.5 rail and larger buttons, it will last forever, so no sense in cheap modding the setup. I guarantee the small buttons will not fit properly, so do not even think about wasting your time.
Is this the answer you were really looking for ?
Brian;)

Yah, I checked the actual dimensions and there just isnt enough contact between the guide and the rail with the 1" on the 1515... at least not enough to be safe.

The PROBLEM is that 1.5" guides are a bit wide for smaller application as they wont conform to the airframe. The washer solutions seem like the way to go.

Thanks

Did you check to see if they had any other extrusions in the 10 family? I am using a 1020 (1"x2") extrusion for my rail. Or you could go crazy and use a 2020 (2"x2").

I'd like to put a little note of caution in this decision. A launch rod / rail is a very important piece in a safe launch. The rail button / rail combo needs to be correct for a safe flight. While it might be technically possible to fit a smaller button in a larger rail, I think everyone needs to be aware that this is ready taking a short cut in safey.

I hope RSOs and LCOs are looking out for these type of problems.

I really like the way fallintree thinks, now that is good information to post on a subject!

Just been thinking. If you don't mind making some minor modifications to the smaller button, you may me able to get it to work on a 10/10 or 15/15 rail. I think you should be able to find some nylon washers at the hardware store that are close in diameter to the 15/15 button's top ridge. You could then trim the top ridge off of a 10/10 button and glue the washer on to replace it. As long as the washer is smaller than the 10/10 slot this should work on a 10/10 or a 15/15 rail.

Latest posts

Back