‘Lava Lamp’ - 3” rocket w/ 38 mm motor mount

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks awesome. I wouldn’t know how to make that but if I did I would definitely do it.

Take a clear disposable plastic cup and fill it with clear epoxy. Then mix some orange epoxy and pull it into a syringe, then inject it into the clear epoxy to get the look you are after.

Once the epoxy is dry, chuck it into a wood lathe and turn it to the shape you're after.

A lot of woodturners use epoxy. It started as a way to fill in imperfections in wood... then it kind of took on a life of it's own.

Skip to 6:40 in this video to get an idea of what I'm referring to..

Take a clear disposable plastic cup and fill it with clear epoxy. Then mix some orange epoxy and pull it into a syringe, then inject it into the clear epoxy to get the look you are after.

Once the epoxy is dry, chuck it into a wood lathe and turn it to the shape you're after.

A lot of woodturners use epoxy. It started as a way to fill in imperfections in wood... then it kind of took on a life of it's own.

Skip to 6:40 in this video to get an idea of what I'm referring to..

Cool. I’m not sure if I’ll use it on this rocket but I’ll definitely keep that in mind for future projects as well. I also don’t have access to a lathe so I might have to jerry rig it using a hand drill or a dremel or something

update: the rocket has yet to fly, as the UROC march sport launch was cancelled due to mud. I think the next launch is april 15, so I'll try to launch it then.

Latest posts

Back