LDRS 32 - Black Rock, NV - Who's Coming?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Jello

Reaction score
Roll call..........who's going this year?

https://www.ldrs32.com/

I will be there.

Confirmed List:
Aksrockets
belfert
CarVac
CCotner
Fdog
Green Jello
gtm3323
JohnCoker
mannyskid
maxvelocity
MClark
rocketcolonel
Troj

Maybe List:
chuck5395
dlb
JimJarvis50
kenstarr
Salvage-1
Stealth6
Wayco

Confirmed Vendors:
Bay Area Rocketry
What's Up Hobbies

Last edited:
It's on our calendar, depends on Sharon's work load at the time. I would like to fly the bunny on a K300 to 15k ft. and watch your Level 1 flight. Oh, and hang out with you in the motor home.....

I'm going. It's going to be a 3 day drive, but I'll get there. Right now, I am in the early planning stages of an O motor project. I have been working on some 3D drawings for the case and will hopefully go to get it machined within a month or two. If all goes as planned, I hope to reach around 60,000'. Nothing is final yet, I'm just dreaming at this point.......

I hope I can make it... Family has a trip to Disney, coming back home on 16th. Get back, load up RV, set off to the desert.

I hope I can make it... Family has a trip to Disney, coming back home on 16th. Get back, load up RV, set off to the desert.

Me too. Well except for the Disney part. We went to Orlando over Christmas. I've had enough of crowds for awhile.

Janet and I are definitely in. We've already scheduled our plane tickets, we'll clear customs and go straight to the Black Rock!

All the best, James

Wow James! Where are you headed? Another tropical location for diving?

Mike at Bay Area Rocketry said he was coming as a vendor.

Kenny

I'm probably maybe coming. My dad wants to go to some black rock launch this year with me it's either XPRS or LDRS. I'm really pushing LDRS but if the hotels are already booked its a definite no-go. What are the Gerlatch hotels?

If I DO go, I'm excited to see you guys there! Anyone want to make TRF nametags? Or shirts?

Put me in as a "maybe", Green Jello.

Alex

I'm going! I'm actually going to try and fly a rocket there too!

Gerald Meux, Jr- Las Vegas, NV

:eyepop:

yaaa crap, they rented all 5 rooms, hahahahaha, the Gerlach Hilton!

Hopefully I will be there, provided my friends from Vegas will be there.
fly in to Reno and drive the rest of the way.

I'm probably maybe coming. My dad wants to go to some black rock launch this year with me it's either XPRS or LDRS. I'm really pushing LDRS but if the hotels are already booked its a definite no-go. What are the Gerlatch hotels?

If I DO go, I'm excited to see you guys there! Anyone want to make TRF nametags? Or shirts?

Put me in as a "maybe", Green Jello.

Alex

Alex, here's the deal with Black Rock. It is truly in the middle of nowhere. You have basically 3 options there:
1) Car camp and enjoy the dust.
2) Bring a RV
3) Stay at a motel in Fernley and drive nearly 2 hours each way each day.

Look at the "Accomodations" section on the website and it does a good job of explaining it and also shows a picture of the one motel in Gerlach.
https://www.ldrs32.com/

Alex, here's the deal with Black Rock. It is truly in the middle of nowhere. You have basically 3 options there:
1) Car camp and enjoy the dust.
2) Bring a RV
3) Stay at a motel in Fernley and drive nearly 2 hours each way each day.

As a basis of comparison, LDRS in Amarillo was 60 - 75 minutes from the host hotel. LDRS in Argonia is about 60 minutes.

The difference with Black Rock being that with the others, if you knew where to look, there were other, closer options that those familiar with the area filled up quickly. Black Rock, there's only Gerlach, with one small hotel, and it's already full. The next closest option is Fernley.

Part of what makes Black Rock so great for the extreme flights like you see at BALLS is what makes the accomodation aspects of LDRS a bit more difficult.

-Kevin

Even if you have to camp....seeing Black Rock is worth it in my opinion. It's like going to another planet. It's something you will remember for the rest of your life.

Put me down for a definate maybe.

Lots of factors - available time & money being the big one. I might have to choose between LDRS and Hellfire (two weeks later at Bonneville Salt Flats) and I'm honestly not sure which one I'd go for. What makes LDRS so great can also be a negative for me - I'm not great with REALLY big crowds and such. It's weird I know but there it is - on the one hand having lots of folks and activity and "goings on" is what makes an event an event, but at a certain point the whole circus atmosphere gets to be too much for my tastes. I'm a little afraid that LDRS would be a bit over the top for me. Whereas Hellfire seems just right - plenty of people and flights to make it fun/interesting & enough of a social activity, but small enough that I don't feel overwhelmed at the same time.

What I'd really like to try and do is go to both.

Might all be a moot point in the end though, when finances and time factor in. We'll see.

s6

For those of you that want to turn a trip to Black Rock into a family vacation, I think you are nuts. But with that said, I HIGHLY recommend that you rent an RV if you are bringing a wife or kids. The weather out on the playa is unpredictable and can turn quickly. I've been on the playa during some massive dust storms with 70mph winds that will completely fill your tent with inches of dust if it doesn't blow it away with the rest of your camp. This particular storm had my friend's 23 year old girlfriend sobbing in misery. It's not as simple as just getting in a car and heading for the hotel either. Trying to get off the playa in a storm isn't easy. If you want to stay married and prefer not to have your children blown away over the horizon, I recommend getting an RV to keep everybody comfortable.

Trying to get off the playa in a storm isn't easy.

I think that's an understatement -- it's not just Not Easy, it's Not Safe.

I think we were both there for the same dust storm, and there's no way I would have tried driving off the playa in that.

-Kevin

pishaaa been in dozens of sand storms. just kidding not for the faint of heart or weak spirited for sure... here is two of my favorites from work overseas. no movie magic here. i love how the built in camera mic picks up the wind noise.

[video=youtube_share;84z3a1WXGSE]https://youtu.be/84z3a1WXGSE[/video]

[video=youtube_share;fAve91yZFZ8]https://youtu.be/fAve91yZFZ8[/video]

Last edited:
We Just booked a hotel in fernley for thrusday, friday and saturday!
Put me down as a "confirmed" GJ!
Sooooooo excited! :) :grin:

Alex

I will be there I guess.
Get there days early, stay days late and launch nothing.
But I have room #70 at Bruno's

Mark

Was it that far down the page???

It wasn't far down the National Event's page, but I wanted to get it back in the "New Posts" list where many people only look. Anyway...I updated the list to include you three guys.

Back