Leading Edge Rocketry Alien

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadrog

Reaction score
After a very positive experience with the LE Fireball, I had little choice but to go for the gusto. Though the construction is rather complex, the in-depth instructions make it look pretty easy. I have not yet looked through all of the included components, but it looks to be another top notch kit from Leading Edge Rocketry. First impressions are always important, initial contact always tells a lot - the box was no exception. Off to a much better start this time.

alienbox.jpg

Here's the parts, there's a bunch of 'em. Gonna have to clear a bench for this one...

alienparts.jpg

Last edited:
Holy Moly thats a lot of parts. It's like what Heathkit would sell if they made rockets.

Looking forward to this build.

Jeff, you have had experience with Heathkit too?

Small world.

Andrew

I just checked it out on thier site.I like it. Thats going to be an interesting build.Good luck.

The mental picture of what needs to be done gets a little clearer each time through the instruction book. I read it for the fourth time last night, just about ready to roll...

Bummer - sorry about that. You could try going to www.masa-rocketry.org and over on the left click on "Planet Online" and look for the July/August 2010 issue.

RexR found it and sent it to me, Thanks again Rex! Some good pointers, I just hope my flight report is a bit different... I never have trusted those single-use motors.

Yeah I hope your return to earth is a bit gentler.

Not off to a real great start on this one. The fiber rings don't fit the main airframe tube, and sanding them out is nearly impossible without damaging them. On another front, does anyone know of a good adhesive for acrylic? Hopefully I can order replacement parts...

you could try fletching cement (fletch tite is one brandname). most of the cements I found were for glueing acrylic to acrylic.

If I can't get a replacement, that would be the ticket. Thanks Rex.
One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just...

broken rib.jpg

C ring.jpg

Back to bizness. The first step of the construction is a dry-fit of the components on the main (BT-50) airframe. This is when the size issues first came into play, and when things started breaking. The purpose of the fit-up is for marking the locations of the cr's and acrylic ribs on the tube. After all of the components are traced onto the tube, it all comes back off. Next order of business is the copper tape circuit that powers the LED's. The tape is applied as two independant runs originating from either end of the tube, oriented in a way as to not interfere with the other components (outlines). After all of the tape is applied, they are color marked, and soldered at the joints. The already too-tight centering rings now must pass over this extra girth, ugh. Time to look into getting those repair parts.

ct1.jpg

ct2.jpg

ct3.jpg

ct4.jpg

oh, so that's what you need to repair. for the rib I'd consider one of the solvent/plastic weld type adhesives applied sparingly. not sure about the cr...1/16" ply?

oh, so that's what you need to repair. for the rib I'd consider one of the solvent/plastic weld type adhesives applied sparingly. not sure about the cr...1/16" ply?

Lite-ply centering rings would be a fabulous upgrade, but to cut them on my scroll saw would be pretty tough.

I've decided to make a go at it with what I have since I feel like I'm falling behind. Having many other projects in the works, time is of the essence. Assembly with the broken parts was not too difficult, just took a little extra time. I think, as a whole, there is no loss of integrety with the cobbed-together bits. The parts are all cut with extreme precision, making the repaired areas nearly invisible with such tight fits.

cringsinstalledh.jpg

cringsinstalledv.jpg

ribsinstalledh.jpg

ribsinstalledv.jpg

Continuing with the main airframe subassemblies, it's time to build the led panels. The panel sections are 1/32" fiber board, same as the cr's, with two lengthwise scores to bend them into the proper shape. First step is to apply the vinyl while they are still flat. Nothing to say about this operation, other than the pre-cut vinyl fit very well. Next they are flipped to the other side and the copper foil circuit is applied, kinda looks like a drunken fly laid mine. Next come the green led's, three wires each, and final forming of the shape. The instructions on this section conclude with epoxying these led panels to the main airframe between the cr's. I'm going to hold off on the final attachment untill all is wired and tested, simply because there's no way to get into these things later if there's an issue.

ledpanels.jpg

ledpanelsvinyld.jpg

ledpaneltaped.jpg

ledpanelsledswired.jpg

ledpanelscompleteout.jpg

I'm going to hold off on the final attachment untill all is wired and tested, simply because there's no way to get into these things later if there's an issue.

Excellent idea! I talked to someone last week who built one of these. She told me she incorrectly installed the LED's on several rows and didn't discover the error until she powered them up and they didn't work. By then they were already epoxied in place. :(

- Rich

Excellent idea! I talked to someone last week who built one of these. She told me she incorrectly installed the LED's on several rows and didn't discover the error until she powered them up and they didn't work. By then they were already epoxied in place. :(

- Rich

Exactly my biggest fear.

Continuing on, we come to the power supply parts and more led's. The batteries used are AAAx3. Each acrylic rib has a battery holder bolted to it, then wired in series after installed. The led rings of the rocket were pretty easy to assemble with the supplied template. Just pop 'em in(oriented correctly, of course), solder to the buss wires, and trim the ends. Then they are rolled and epoxied into the airframe sections. While that dries, I installed the nine led's that light the acrylic ribs. There are three embedded into each rib; one fore, one central, one aft.

battery.jpg

setupledrings.jpg

ledbuswire.jpg

ledringcomplete.jpg

ledringinstalled.jpg

After completing the connections from the LED circuits to the micro-controller and the power source, I found myself in a rather sureal state - the box was empty. This was kind of strange, because the day before I was certain it was never ending. But there it was, empty. So comes the time to throw the switch, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA (evil laugh). When I pulled the pin, my suspition was realized - the LED panel that I thought I screwed up was screwed up. Glad it was still just held on with a rubber band rather than epoxy. In addition to the vertical panel being out, two of three LED's on one of the ribs were not lit. This seemed strange that two out of three would be defected AND located by chance right next to each other, but I was unsure at the time how to test the situation. So I sent an Email off to Tim Z at Leading Edge Rocketry to see about ordering some replacements. Tim told me he would get what I needed sent out right away, but forgot to tell me what I owed him. As it turns out, he had no intention of telling me, and I felt like I had to beg to at the very least cover the postage! I can't say enough about LER's product and service. Buy their stuff people, they certainly deserve the business. Less than a week later I had recieved the needed LED's to replace what I had miswired. About a ten minuite operation there. After a closer look at the unlit LED's embedded in the ribs, I thought I would try jumping one of them to the next copper foil circuit. That was the ticket. Something had happened somewhere along the copper during assembly that put it out of commision. Unfurtunately at this point a fix of the damaged copper is impossible, but a couple bits of wire from some CAT5 fixed it right up. So the end result after some waiting and learning, 39 animated LED's! I will post a demo vid of it in the near future. In the meantime, I got to work on the few wood parts the kit requires. The usual suspects here, three fins n' a nosecone.

The Alien kit comes with a pre-weighted balsa nosecone (which is quite heavy) and three plywood fins. The NC was a bit rough, and has been sealed with CA. It currently sits with CA curing in the divits. The fin mouting had me a little concerned, but I think I have a solution. The fins mount through-the-wall, more specifically through-A-wall. The bottom portion of the main airframe tube has a sleeve with lazercut slots to locate the acrylic ribs and the fins. I think this offers much more accuracy for the positioning, but not so much for structural strength. Because the fins stretch down below the airframe, I'm concerned with fins coming off on landing. The best thing I can think of is to add dowel reinforcements to the fillets, same as I use for TTW fins within the airframe. This will make the fillets rather large, but they are tucked in below the aft BT-80 centering ring, so they will hardly be noticable. Since it will make for some rather involved masking and sanding, I've decided to do some pre-finishing of the fins. I masked the root edge to maintain clean porous wood for the epoxy to penetrate, and gave them a first coat of primer.

fin slot.jpg

fins masked.jpg

The fins have now been epoxied into place, and the BFF's (Big Fat Fillets) are there for the extra support. Hopfully it will be enough to keep everything attached. Being as this will be flying at night, I think it would be ok to go with a larger than recomended chute. If the winds die down as they usually do at night, that is.

fillets.jpg

Last edited:
That's a wrap for this one, until MWP9 anyway. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the build. It had it's ups and downs, but all is well in the end. Final preparations offered one last challenge - not enough room for my chosen recovery gear. Rather than use the elastic provided, my preference is flat braided kevlar. With roughly twelve feet of that, and a 36" 'chute, there was just not enough room in the forward section of BT80 tube. First thought was to make a short extension to use for flight, but in the end I decided to shorten the nosecone shoulder. The inch gained was more than enough to fit everything neat and orderly. Weighing in at 1lb. 3.8oz, I'm mostly convinced on flying it with the Pro24 G100 skid that Tim keeps trying to talk me into. As he says, "It will either be cool, or it will be REALLY cool!"

alienfinal1.jpg

alianfinal2.jpg

alianfinal5.jpg

alianfinal4.jpg

alianfinal3.jpg

Back