Space shuttle model rocket???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperCell

Reaction score
So, are there any impressive models of the shuttle out there, that can really be launched/flown?

Originally posted by SuperCell
So, are there any impressive models of the shuttle out there, that can really be launched/flown?

One Name... George Gassaway.

Anyone remember his web address?

the DR Zooch model is small and the scale is reasonable(all you could want. unless your a detail freek) and its supossed to be a real good flyer.

I just bought a Gillow foam shuttle glider, has about a 10 inch wingspan and is about a foot in length.

I plan to scratchbuild an ET and SRB's for it using a BT-80 for the ET and BT-55 for the SRB's.

I plan to fly it on standard length C11 and D12 motors.

The above was recommended to me by George Gassaway as a 'sport scale' version to complete my intended 1/100 constant scale "Manned Launch Vehicle" series. The glider is within 10% of the appropriate scale, although the wings are 'oversized'. It still glides like a rock, just like the original.

There is also a great site from a NASA location in Italy that features papermodel of the ISS, the Shuttle (all versions), the Vostock/Soyuz launcher as well as several other noteworthy items. The ISS and Shuttles are at 1/100 scale. There is also a separate E.T. download site.

MARS

ET + SRBs

BTW, The ET should be about 3" for a true 1/100 scale!

I'd like to try a single channel R/C for rudder. George told me to only use half the rudder for control. I guess full rudder is too much!

George Gassaway For George's Site.

Timed SRB jetison and E.T. cast-off, RC recovery of Shuttle!

Video of George's Shuttle

I picked up a couple of those Guillow's foam shuttles a few years back, and they're a blast. I epoxied a plywood hook into the nose of one, and piggyback it on my upscale (1.68x) Orbital Transport. It glides beautifully.

The second one, I fashioned some balsa elevons, embedded micro servos into the wings, and hollowed out the fuselage section to hold a Hitec 555 receiver and a 50mAh nicad battery pack. The one time that I flew it (at a NARHAMS launch) , the boost and separation went well but once I tried putting some control input into it, it went into a spiral dive. I released the controls and it resumed gliding (at a steep, fast angle) but there wasn't time to try another maneuver - it came in headed right for us, and bonked into Don Brown's truck (no damage to either). I haven't flown it since, but if I can find a lighter RX/battery pack combination, I intend to give it another go. It's just too heavy with the current RX/battery - it doesn't really fly so much as it falls... with style.

Originally posted by SuperCell

Do you mean to buy one?

yeah the Guillow's shuttles are just great. they fly fine. I picked up 6 of them, on sale at Michael's for about $3 each! my son launched one on a 3" 4FNC rocket, H112 if I remember... it glided for about a half mile across the desert.

for more HPR Shuttle scale experience, look no further than Andy Woerner's project: https://polecataerospace.com/shuttle.jpg

uh...not to toot my own horn, but...BEEP-BEEP!:p
DEFINITELY kidding!
you HAVE TO go to mr. gassaways's site. a model shuttle can't get any better than his!

Back