What would you do?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by denverdoc
frankly while spammers are an annoyance, which indeed inject a certain amt of irritation and wasted time into my life, it is incomparably small compared to the pollution on tv and radio with ads taking 15 min or more from every hour. I went two years w/o watching/listening to any commercial tv/radio and it was a friggin amazing experience.

I think that part of the reason why I'm so impatient (to put it mildly) with SPAM and telemarketing is that I got rid of television about five years ago and never looked back. I don't see advertisements except for those in the newspaper, which of course take essentially none of my time. I do listen to the radio, but that's just NPR and baseball (and half the time when I'm listening to baseball it's through mlb.com so I don't get any ads there either).

Now, I don't find that SPAM upsets my life too much, but it does cost us a lot of money, and I think that some of that money could be put into bounties that might tempt the people who know the spammers to come up with some creative ways to stop them. Same with telemarketers, though it does seem that the law has managed to stifle them pretty well. I no longer get telemarketing calls other than maybe about 10 autodialer calls per year. Of course each one of those calls is illegal, and I'd support a bounty on the people who run those things.

Originally posted by sylvie369
I think that part of the reason why I'm so impatient (to put it mildly) with SPAM and telemarketing is that I got rid of television about five years ago and never looked back.
I can understand why you don't like telemarketers, but what do you have against SPAM apart from the fact that it tastes horrible? ;)

[PEDANT]
SPAM (all upper case) is Hormel's trademarked pork luncheon meat.
Spam (lower case except for the first letter of the first word in a sentence) is junk e-mail.
Here's the page from Hormel's website which details their position:
https://www.SPAM.com/ci/ci_in.htm
[/PEDANT]

As for spammers, they should be charged with the full force of the law.

Ohm's law. :D

What would I do or ask a known Spammer?

I'd ask for his e-mail address.:D

Scott

Originally posted by adrian
I can understand why you don't like telemarketers, but what do you have against SPAM apart from the fact that it tastes horrible? ;)
Really? I kinda like the stuff. Can't count how many cans of the stuff used to get consumed on Boy Scout camping trips when I was (a lot) younger.

Originally posted by m85476585
Speaking of spam... I don't get any!

Neither do I. When I had mindspring, I wasn't too cautious about my email address. Once I switched to sbc/yahoo, I decided I'd better be more careful. Now if I want to view a site and they want my email address, I give them an address dedicated to the purpose.

I haven't had any spam in my inbox since September.

At one point a couple years ago, I was approached with an opportunity to learn the craft/business of direct mail marketing. I took a few of the introductory courses, and learned a LOT about marketing, sales psychology, and information gathering.

I also learned about the numbers games.

(Begin Boring Lecture about direct-mail marketing)
For every 1,000 or so ads that so-called "junk mailers" send out, they get one response. For every 10 responses, they get one new customer. (Bear in mind, these figures are for the well-done ads, such as the original American Express solicitation, which is widely hailed as the gold standard of direct-marketing.) So for every 10,000 ads delivered, they get one new customer. That customer brings in about $100 new revenue every year. So as long as they can get 10,000 pieces of mail delivered for less than $100, they make a profit.

And those junk-mail ads aren't random either. Whenever you fill out a survey as part of a product registration, it gets added to a database. Marketing companies gather up all that info and cross-reference it for whatever product they are trying to sell. So if my demographics research says that the product will sell best using a particular type of copy targeted at people who are:
living in the Midwest
with incomes between $45k and $60k,
male, ages 28-34,
and who have also recently purchased a lawn tractor,

I can then go to the database, and instantly pull up a list of potential mail recipients who match 90% of that criteria. If my client wants to mail the copy via USPS, I print up the copy, send it out, and collect my paycheck.

BUT: If my client wants to send it out via e-mail, it costs me and them virtually nothing, and it gets out to the same people.

So that part of spam isn't truly unsolicited. You inadvertently "asked" for it because you submitted your personal marketing info, or so goes marketing logic.

In the end, I decided not to get into that business, because although I could produce some darn good copy (and so said my instructors), I could never spend 3 weeks writing a sales pitch only to know that it would be thrown out by 99.999% of the people who received it, and would be hated vehemently by a goodly lot of those.

(End Boring Lecture)
-------------------------
Now, for the other side of e-mail spam: Those guys frequently get paid for "click-thru" ads. When your e-mail pops up an image inline with the text, many times it's not embedded directly in the e-mail itself, but rather is linked from an online site. So even just by previewing the e-mail in Outlook or whatever, it "calls" image, which generates a web hit. That single web-hit equals some fraction of a cent for the spammer, so if 1000 people allow their e-mail client to display that image, they've gotten 10 bucks from their client. Multiply that by the hundreds of thousands of e-mail addresses publicly available from web scavengers, and you're talking thousands of dollars, for EVERY SPAM MESSAGE SENT!!!

Those guys are the ones who are in danger of clogging up the e-mail networks of the world. The ones who send out mass mailings that go to the same people 5 times in a single day with different "from" headers.

Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done, legally speaking, since they hide behind foreign servers or use proxies or zombie systems and can't be traced.

For those people, my punishment is simple. Every day, I pluck hairs from their body, one... at... a... time.

It gives them an idea for the extremity of the irritation that we the people receive from their idiocy.

WW

Here is my response to annoying telemarketers.

"You know, I am not interested in your product, but I'll bet my wife is. Let me go get her." Lay down the phone and go back to whatever I was doing. :D

Originally posted by sylvie369
Throw telemarketers in there and I'm in.

As far as spam being just a matter of hitting the delete key a few times, tell that to the IT guys. Spam costs all of us a bundle.

Agreed....Lock and Load!

Joe W
:kill: lawyers, spammers, telemarketers

Originally posted by TWRackers
Really? I kinda like the stuff. Can't count how many cans of the stuff used to get consumed on Boy Scout camping trips when I was (a lot) younger.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm..................Spam n eggs, spam n cheese sandwiches, Spam PB&J breakfast sandwiches...............

The boys in our troop have infinite variations on the use of spam.

Joe W

Originally posted by Nuke Rocketeer
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm..................Spam n eggs, spam n cheese sandwiches, Spam PB&J breakfast sandwiches...............

<...And the vikings sung on...>
Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam
Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam
Spam, Spam, (Lovely Spam, Wonderful Spam!) Spam, Spam

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam
Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam
Spam, Spam, (Lovely Spam, Wonderful Spam!) Spam, Spam

:D
-Paul

Originally posted by jflis
As for the argument that we seem to live with junk mail in our snail-mail box, ...
All my junk smail that comes with a paid return envelope, gets all the junk stuffed back in the envelope, along with any other trash laying around that will fit, and dropped back in the mailbox. Same for the shower of subscription cards that fall out of magazines. And for particularly annoying mail, like Scientologists, I have been known to tape the return envelope to a (heavy) box of similar useless junk.

GC

Originally posted by wwattles
(Begin Boring Lecture about direct-mail marketing)
For every 1,000 or so ads that so-called "junk mailers" send out, they get one response. For every 10 responses, they get one new customer.

That "bounty system" should apply to the customers as well. Buying from Spammers or telemarketers is wrong. It is shameful, foul, evil, unpatriotic, and scummy.

Back