slotting tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i want to slot tubes on my rocket but have never dun it before. Its been posted on this site a hundred times but i cant find anything. What are some good tips and can i do it on low powered rockets also to make them stronger.

First, use a VERY sharp knife, and take your time. I use an xacto with a brand new blade, and go over it with multiple passes. Second, how strong do you want it? Most LPR rockets are fine with the standard condtruction method, and few need anything more than basswood fins as an upgrade (1/16" plywood works too).

You might also want to get yourself a Dremel motor tool. I not only use them to cut up to 1/2" wide slots, but for dozens of other uses too. I bought the battery powered one at Wal-Mart for about $20 bucks so I could use it in the field should I need it

-Chris

Originally posted by cjl
First, use a VERY sharp knife, and take your time. I use an xacto with a brand new blade, and go over it with multiple passes. Second, how strong do you want it? Most LPR rockets are fine with the standard condtruction method, and few need anything more than basswood fins as an upgrade (1/16" plywood works too).

You mention 1/16" plywood (and basswood). Would these be cut the same dimensions as the stock balsa fins in kits? Meaning if I were to use the basswood/ply, would the kit fly the same?

Originally posted by bigone5500
You mention 1/16" plywood (and basswood). Would these be cut the same dimensions as the stock balsa fins in kits? Meaning if I were to use the basswood/ply, would the kit fly the same?

Yes the reason for using Basswood fins is that they are stronger. Balsa fins are prone to splitting and chipping easily on rough landings.

The rocket may need a tad bit more noseweight with basswood fins due to the extra weight but yeah, it will fly the same.

Basswood and plywood should not add much weight to the rockets, and they should fly the same. As long as you use the stock fin dimensions, you will be fine in 99% of cases, and if it was so marginally stable to begin with that the extra weight pushed it over the edge, it needed more noseweight from the start.

Back