Paint or no paint on first flight?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balltip

Reaction score
Hello all!
Back with a new question for you to help me answer! Actually this could be considered being a poll, but I won't be putting up any pre marked choices.

I am almost done finishing my new Semroc SLS Jaguar. I have spent not so few hours trying to get it as perfect as I can. I mean, who don't want a roc that looks good?
At this very moment the last coat of clear coat is drying (hence no picture yet, but I'll post one this afternoon)

Now... Did I get ahead of things? Should I have waited putting on paint and have flown it a few times first? I don't know, and the most likely answer is that I should do just as I like.

But just out of curiosity... How do YOU proceed once your rocket has been built? Do you put on paint first, and then fly it? Or do you give it a few test runs b4 bringing out the spray can or air brush?
And might that approach differ depending on the season?

Per

I paint, then fly. I lose some to the rocket Gods, 'cause they can't stand to see me have something so pretty.

When you go to fly a new rocket, launch a small sacrifice first. A Quark, or a Twister. If you get them back, you're good to go.

If you lose the sacrifice, go home. The Gods are against you.

BTW, I'm not superstitious, I'm Irish.

:p

It's the pride in me, and also the fear of damaging the rocket, but I always paint before I fly.

It's really a matter of personal preference. As for myself, I don't consider a rocket finished until the last coat of clear coat or Future dries. Only then do I consider it flight worthy.

I do both, paint rockets and just fly them naked. My HPR Cluster rocket has flown a few times (it costs about $150 for each flight) and is still un-painted.

I always paint first, fly second. Otherwise it seems like that recurring dream of going to school in your pajamas.

Clive

Maggie needs the rockets to be painted before flying. "If rockets are naked they will run and try to hide in the trees!":eek:

Besides, being a 10 year old, spray painting is almost a sport onto itself. (onto everything else that is nearby as well!! :D )

Tom and Mags

Building and waiting for warmer days!:D

I always paint my rockets before I fly them.

if they crash, or if something happens where they need some repairs, I just patch itup and send them back up. They're like battle scars, let your rockets wear them proudly!

I'm gonna swim against the tide.

I seldom paint before the first flight. Two reasons:

1. If she flies or recovers poorly, then that part of the effort is not damaged.

2. Some sick part of me believes a rocket should earn her colors...

Here is that pic that I promised. There are a few things that didn't turn out as expected, but hey... I am new at this :D

First of all... if using waterslide decals, do not expect the color on 'em to be the same after applying them on any other surface than white. Yeah yeah, I know. Now I know, I mean. :D

So the original blue decals turned out almost black. Having realized that I put the Jaguar insignia (which is red, btw) on the black part between two of the fins (red lettering). It turned out some sort of brown-ish. Actually looks a bit "classy" to me ;) You might be able to see some of it in the picture. Looking on it irl you see it quite clearly.

Huge dissapointment was the nose cone. I had gotten myself a can of that spray that claims to turn out like chrome plating. After several (frustrating) attempts all I got was something similar to ordinary silver. Not what I had hoped for, but I'll take that as lesson learned.

So no matter what, paint or no paint, this bird will fly as soon as I get a good chance at launching it. Which actually draws my eyes to the heavens outside my window. Not that cloudy, almost no wind and not too cold. Hmmmm, maybe...

Per

I always fully paint and decal my models before flying.

It looks as good as it's ever going to look before it's first flight.

For silver paint, you might want to try Rustoleum Silver Metallic. It won't give you a "chrome" look but it has a nice "sparkle" look to it.

Here it is on an Art Applewhite saucer.

saucer_6.jpg

Well, I'm still new to the form and basically still a new BAR, but I think if you really put heart and soul into paint and decal work it will have a much more special meaning for you when you see it leave the launch pad for the first time turn on it's side and lawn darts its self into oblivion!

Nice Jaguar. Mine is still unpainted. It was built before Christmas. I haven't had a warm enough day to prime outside yet. I think I need to break down and just paint it inside.

In general, I like to have them painted before flight. It just seems like the right thing to do. Having said that, if a rocket is flight worthy and I haven't painted it yet and there is a nice day to fly... well then I just fly it naked. That didn't come out right. I am wearing clothes. The rocket is unpainted.

I'm with BobH on this one. It's gotta be totally finished before flight. I look at it this way, if its 1st flight goes off without a hitch, I'd hate to have it NOT painted as the next flight could be it's last. If that makes any sense to ya. ;)

Mom always told me to put on clean underwear every day, in case I died. Therefore, I like to fully clothe (paint & decal) my rockets before flying them. Gee, what if I lose it and someone finds it only partially clothed? With my name on it!? It is also much more satisfying to see a fully decorated bird fly.

Ok, she never really said that, but I heard it somewhere ;)

-Paul

For me, paint, clear coat, airbrush, everything... before the maiden voyage as this will be the only time you will dazzle everyone with the finish.

As Recardo Maltaban used to say "It is better to look good than to feel good, eh?". (Or fly good as the case may be...)

-Tim

Originally posted by Nate
I always paint my rockets before I fly them.

if they crash, or if something happens where they need some repairs, I just patch itup and send them back up. They're like battle scars, let your rockets wear them proudly!

So that was clear paint on your Miranda then on the I405? ;)

Originally posted by cjl
So that was clear paint on your Miranda then on the I405? ;)

Hey now! there was some grey-ish primer stuffo n the fins, and some white epoxy paint type stuff on the nose cone.

I never said it had to be pretty!

And speaking of battle scars, I'll PM you with my L2 story....let's just say the miranda is OOP until I can repair it...:D

Originally posted by Hughie
Well, I'm still new to the form and basically still a new BAR, but I think if you really put heart and soul into paint and decal work it will have a much more special meaning for you when you see it leave the launch pad for the first time turn on it's side and lawn darts its self into oblivion!

I agree with Hughie. It really made me feel better this afternoon as my Estes X-Prize Eagle was scootin' along horizontal about 10 feet off the ground knowing that when it lawn darted, or attempted to take a core sample, that it would do it with style. All that paint and primer is probably responsible for the tube not being completely destroyed when it ejected at 3 feet and went in for the core sample. :D

I always paint my rockets before their 1st flight - don't want them arrested for indecent exposure :p

Mine depend on the situation. Many of my rockets fly nekked until they've had a few flights under their belts, others fly painted from day 1.

Originally posted by Hughie

Ain't that the truth! Had my first real dismal failure last month, and it was on a rocket (up-motored Estes Prowler) on which I had taken great pains to get a graduated metallic black (aft end) to metallic blue to metallic silver (nose) paint scheme. Nomex blanket hung up on the shock-cord mount, and no-ejection of 'chute. Nose didn't even pop. Fortunately I had put it up on a C6 for the first flight, and it landed it sand. Still, it crumpled the top 6 inches or so of the BT. :( At least I didn't lose it to the rocket gods, and I've cut off the damaged section and it will fly again.

To answer the original question, I always paint before I fly, mainly because I actually get more enjoyment out of building and finishing than I do out of flying. (Shh!)

Jim

If it's a simple colour scheme, the rocket gets painted before it flies.

If it's a complex colour scheme on an unusual design, it gets a simplified paint scheme for the first flight and a more detailed paint job if it survives.

Over-riding all that, if the rocket is built at an event then I can't paint it on site but I may get to fly it. Thus, Patrol Cruiser Z-3 was unpainted at IRW 2005 after being built on site, and fully painted at a recent launch.

If you building proven design model rocket kits, then by all means finish it first... Paint and decaling are about all we can do to "customize" kits.

On the other hand if it's a New design, scratch built or new Scale model I alway fly a "boiler Plate model first, In isolation to ensure the model is flight worthy before spending all the time and effort finishing it.
Sure the Rocket eating trees sometimes take their toll, Can't tell you how many first flights are also logged as Last flights to trees, water towers, or roof tops, but hey that's part of flying:D

Originally posted by GeorgiaRocket
I agree with Hughie. It really made me feel better this afternoon as my Estes X-Prize Eagle was scootin' along horizontal about 10 feet off the ground knowing that when it lawn darted, or attempted to take a core sample, that it would do it with style. All that paint and primer is probably responsible for the tube not being completely destroyed when it ejected at 3 feet and went in for the core sample. :D

Hey Georgia,
I just finished painting my eagle and will sticker it this week and fly on Saturday. What were you fling it on? I love this model and put a ton of time into it so I'd hate to see that happen.
I seriously considered flying and leaving it naked. I think it just looked so cool in the buff. Maybe put a thick clearcoat like a nice wood boat.

I flew it on a B6-4. I can't explain what happened. Clay weight was added per instructions. Upper fins were straight. Light, almost calm wind. Launch rod was straight up. Lug was straight. The spent engine looked normal. But it turned immediately after it left the rod and the ejection charge went off as it curved towards the ground. If the ground wasn't somewhat soggy the damage would have been worse.

I always paint before flying... until recently. I sent up my first naked rocket - a Goblin clone. Something I've never had happen with a painted rocket happened: probably a good 1/16" was seared off the balsa fins near the root edge. I launched with a good 4" standoff, and a C11-7. I'm used to seeing the black residue from the motor burn on the bottom of painted fins, but never had the balsa noticeably burned away. Having had this happen I'm inclined to believe painted fins offer a little more burn protection from the motor flame.

I always paint before flying. The rocket shoud look good for its first flight. Which also could be its last if something should go awry, so it would be a shame if it wasn't at least finished for its only flight.

Glenn

Back