38mm Minimum Diameter Carbon Fiber

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Version A or B

• Version A

• Version B

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mike, can you email me details on the MrScary too please? Will it take the 60" Contrail 38mm hardware and still have enough room for dual deployment, albeit drogueless?

[email protected]

Thanks

G.

aww, i remember when that shock was still in production. i almost bought one, but i think i remember it being in the 600-650 dollar range...which was a little out of my budget, especially for something i'd only fly when i made a 3000 mile journey to black rock...lol. that is one baaaad looking kit though boy, those fins are scary.

lol, I did.... I did not look at the pics, sorry. I vote A but I dont think you can... Or I don't know how.

I voted for B as well. Less heat transfer to the fillets, but more importantly why wrestle with masking tape if you can use a retainer and risk messing up an expensive rocket. Performance difference is likely minimal.
John S

Keep the tube 38mm minimum diameter as in A, but fit a slimline retainer over the outside of the BT using JB-Weld, and profile the aft sections of the fins to fit over it, then attach the fins to the BT with JB-Weld.

Best of both worlds, you get good retention, and 38mm minimum diameter. You can blend in the front ridge of the slimline with a bead of epoxy smoothed down with your finger.

G.

The plan with this rocket is to use a launch tube with three guides that will cradle the rocket at each 120° so that there are neither launch lugs nor rail buttons externally to add any drag.
Mounting anything that changes the outside diameter of the BT will cause problems; it needs to be consistant along the entire lenghth.
A bit of tape at the rear as a thrust ring should be good to go.
I am now leaning slightly towards B.
Actually in part though because I have found that my steel mandrel has gotten marred a bit at a point about in the middle and while I can easily file it smooth, not sure if it would make remove of the BT impossible.
I just wish I could find 6 foot sections of phenolic to use as a mandrel instead of 4 foot so that I can be more sure that I get consistant layup for the whole BT.

Greg

No, not yet.
Credit card is in intensive care after MidWest Power III.
I did get my full face respirator and filters so I can do things safely.
I promise to keep people posted.
Really I do.

Greg

Mike,

How is the progress of the Mr. Scary Kit going?

I am interested in one if they make it to production.

KatoKen

Back