38mm Minimum Diameter Carbon Fiber

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Version A or B

• Version A

• Version B

Results are only viewable after voting.
So far, I have invested (roughly (IIRC)):
$65 for the CF sleeve but that was enough to do this rocket and a couple of other things
$65 for a gallon kit of AeroPoxy but that will do MANY, many rockets so....
A steel mandrel 1.5"OD by 6 feet will set me back about 25 bucks, but will do many rockets.
Will need to get some CF cloth to make the fins (yep, ALL CF (almost)) but that really isn't very bad for the amount that I'll need and may be able to find some on ebay.
Planning to buy one of the high temp epoxy kits from ShadowAero to do the fins.
Probably don't need it, but will give it a try once; $19.
Nose cone????
Talked (e-mailed) Sandman about having him make one to be split down the middle to make male plugs to make female molds to try to make a hollow CF NC to see if I can do it.
The videos from Shadow have it in there and would like to try it, but will most likely have Sandman make another NC at the same time to actually be used as a NC if/when the CF try fails.
Without knowing the cost of the NC, I'm thinking I can come in at right close to $100 - $125 for the materials that actually go into this rocket.

Not too bad.
Or it could just be me.

I had actually had the idea of seeing if I can make this work and seeing about making a couple for others at cost just for the practice and to get their feedback.
Kind of a prototype program without the real intention of going into production.
We'll see.

Greg

OK, I just looked at the price of CF cloth and it's $10 a foot, 49 inches wide.
Doing some quick plusing and minusing.....
Change total to $125 - $150.
I'm still good with that.

Originally posted by rocketkyle

Do you have any estimate of a price? How much was the kit when it was still in production?

Thanks.

Are you ready....

It was 450US thats with everthing and it can fly to 24,000 feet on a K250.

Are you still in ?
Anyone else ?

Alex

i was thinking the same thing. This is what it says on his website... "Both the Shock and the Raven EX have been discontinued. The last Shock and the last Raven EX are currently being prepared for their new owners (Mr. Fisher and Mr. Alexander), and are the last of their type."

Why not just get the Performance Rocketry Concept 54 in carbon? It's only $199, and CF, and can certainly take a K250.

(this is not aimed at those of you advocating scratchbuilding, just those who want a shock value)

Given a few weeks, I can produce 38mm tubing no problem, and possibly 54mm. Or I can cut you a deal on material.. Just send me the pictures of it flying to 25k ;-)

Nick Anderson

Why not just get the Performance Rocketry Concept 54 in carbon? It's only $199, and CF, and can certainly take a K250.

Thats what Dave said, make your own, but it is just to much time. If I made one I would do a custom rocket not redo The Shock.

Given a few weeks, I can produce 38mm tubing no problem, and possibly 54mm. Or I can cut you a deal on material.. Just send me the pictures of it flying to 25k ;-)

Nick could you please do me some 29 and 24mm tube ?

Cost is not an issue.

Please.

Alex

Originally posted by cjl

(this is not aimed at those of you advocating scratchbuilding, just those who want a shock value)

I'll probably do that, thanks.

Originally posted by SARocketMan

Nick could you please do me some 29 and 24mm tube ?

Cost is not an issue.

Please.

Alex

Possibly. I don't current have a mandrel for 29mm or 24mm, but should be relatively easy to find at 1" OD.

How many layers were you thinking about, and how many carbon and fiberglass ?

Nick Anderson

Cool!

Well I would like it Carbon Fiber if thats possible.What is the Min amount of layers you could do ?.Because I know get off the mandrel is the hardest part.

Alex

1 layer.

Getting it off the mandrel is not a problem. I pull 38mm 1 layer tubes off all the time.

Nick Anderson

Well 2 layers of carbon fiber should be strong enough for a 1+ mach flight shouldn't it ?

Alex

Answering your first question, our raven had a aeropack slim line motor retainer. Unfortunatly on the first flight we lost the payload section with the altimeters and the booster section came in with no chute. It was unrepairable. It was an awesome flight though on a J-570W!

Originally posted by SARocketMan
I email Dave about 3 weeks ago and he said no and there was no way he was going to make one up for me.

Also he said he had no plans to bring it back in to production.

Anyway, I think the only way you could get one is if we got about 10 people that all want one.

So who wants one me that one so we just need nine more people. So who's in ?

Performance rocketry has 38mm G10 Carbon Fiber tube what about that ?

https://performancerocketry.com/airframes.html

Im interested in the Shock kit, I just need to know how much it will cost.

Ok I'll email dave and get a price.Then I'll make a thread just for the group buy.

Alex

Well Dave said to do up full kits like they where before he would need at lest 50.

I think the price would be the same as it was before $450 US

Should I bother making a thread ?

Alex

I could scratch build that for less than half of the kit's cost.

my thouts too. Besides parachutes, like 11Bravo said, you could make one for $150. Sorry SARocketMan, im out of the deal.

Same here. Put up a thread to see who wants in. Sorry man.

Thats fine.I don't really care that much about get one.

We where just talking about the shock so I though I'd bring it up.

Alex

Binder Design is taking pre-orders for a minimum diameter kit called "Mr. Scary". We've been working out the bugs with the prototype.

We've been testing it on some pretty extreme 38mm motors including the K3551. It sims at over 300g's in this rocket and over mach 3. It went over 15K' in July, and blistered the paint over the entire rocket.

Target price is $300. Contact me if you want to be put on the list. The run for 2006 will be limited to 100 kits. Release is scheduled for spring.

Thanks,
Mike Fisher
Binder Design

Hi Mike,

I'd really like to see Binder Design with a L3 capable rocket or two in the line.

you're by far my favorite company, and the rockets you make are top notch, and the service is impeccable. I mean heck, you and I exchanged 30 emails about some fins for gosh sake, let's see LOC do that!

If you could produce a Level three rocket, I can almost guarentee I'd buy one from you.

Back