RDF tracking, mod

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jraice

Reaction score
A lot of people have been getting into this RDF tracking system with amatur radio's. I plan on doing this for my 12,000' flight in May next year. One thing, to help increase range on the ground.... as you know there is a lot more range while the transmitter is in the air, then when it is down on the ground, mostly because of buildings and tree's, but as you get to 1-3 miles from the antenna, the earth's curvature actually limits your line of sight on the ground. What I have down is built a removable post that holds my home built 6 element yagi horizantally on a post, it is now an extra 4' higher, and is perfectly balanced for easy carrying, but I wont use the post during the flight, easier without it. Walston says for every extra foot higher that the antenna is you get an extra 1/4 mile line of sight. It might be interesting to have the transmitter 2 miles away, and to raise and lower the yagi and see how the tone is, even with no buildings or shrubs in the way, good test at black rock...

the playa at Black Rock is known to absorb RF really really well. if some pole is good, more is better. there are several recovery stories where people stood on top of the car, the shell of the pickup, etc., to get more height for the tracker rx.

Back