beautiful G10 fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jraice

Reaction score
As we speak my father (the wood worker) is cutting me 6 beautiful 1/8" G10 fins. First he made a wood template, and traced the design onto the 12" by 12" sheet, in 6 places. He then used a band saw to seperate the 6 pieces about 1/4" from the actual fin shapes line. He used double sided tape and he taped the template to the rough shape of the fin, then he used a caribide router bit and the template ran on the rolling thing on top, the carbide bit easily cut the thick .125" G10. Later this weekend we are going to bevel the fins. He says it would be easier to bevel all three sides of the fin, is the tip cord normally beveled? Anyways this technique worked out great.

Wow, 1/8" G10. I have a sheet of that but found it way to chunky for my needs. I find 3/32" to be much easier to work with. Good luck!

Edward

I already cut it so what troubles will I have? They aren't that small, six of them is like 3 larger fins. It is plenty stable.

I just think that 1/8" G10 is probably *way* overkill for most rockets. I mean most by anything 4" and under. If you are going to 5.5", then it is reasonable, but there are better materials for those sizes.

Edward

Back