$25 PVC Launch Pad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not what I meant. You would need a boulder for what I need... I mean how would you tilt the pad to get your rocket on?

Originally posted by Neil
how would you tilt the pad to get your rocket on?

Well... you pick up two of the legs... then you kinda lift em into the air so the rod tips over towards the ground... then you stop when it's low enough and slide the rocket on ;) Works for me.

This thing weighs quit a bit already, and it would be a big inconvienence to have to use 2 people.

its PVC dude, how heavy could it be? Maybe it is time to start pumping some Iron

What'd ya do, fill the pad with lead? I have an all aluminum and steel pad, 3'x2" diameter legs, all 1/2" plating for the deflector, and a 6' rail coming off of it and it's easily movable.

Just a tip....You might want to start over with the pad, and make it a tripod. Much more stable and easier to manuver. Also, keep it lower to the ground for stability. One more thing, I believe you should devise a better holder for the rod, I don't want to see a rocket bind and then take the entire rod with it...a spare drill chuck will work well for that.

A larger size of PVC will let you fly bigger rockets....but yes...it will be heavier...Power Bars man, Power bars...and extra protein...lifting weights'll help too...

Oh my lack of weight liftins not the problem.... Its just that the legs are 3' long, which makes a span of 6'. Rather unwieldly. I dont need to start over.... I could make it a quadrapod (is that even a word....) just by adding some 45- degree connectors. a nice $5 fix... My current system for holding the rod is plenty strong. Come over here and you can yank on it if you like..... that things not going anywhere withough a screwdriver....

Just suggestions man, cheaper is not nescessarily better. A $5 part may solve the problem, but may add to complexity, weight and cause a stress riser. Right now your pad looks too flimsy for even MPR, and lifting those thin extremities off the ground will make it even weaker.

Take it or leave it. My dad broke a launch pad that was 1" steel piping in a tripod arrangement, with the legs chained together for maximum strength and rigidity. Broke a 1/4" forged eyebolt right off and bent the other two badly. Thank gosh it still went straight up. Never underestimate thrust, it will come back and bite you if you do.

This thing aint flimsy..... I might scrap it for something better, though..... I take back my statement that the thing could hold an I, but a small MPR could easily fly off of that pad.....

Originally posted by DPatell
Just suggestions man, cheaper is not nescessarily better. A $5 part may solve the problem, but may add to complexity, weight and cause a stress riser. Right now your pad looks too flimsy for even MPR, and lifting those thin extremities off the ground will make it even weaker.

Take it or leave it. My dad broke a launch pad that was 1" steel piping in a tripod arrangement, with the legs chained together for maximum strength and rigidity. Broke a 1/4" forged eyebolt right off and bent the other two badly. Thank gosh it still went straight up. Never underestimate thrust, it will come back and bite you if you do.

That's wild. 1/4" eyebolts are cheap, but I'd be talking to the manufacturer of those in case someone's using them for a more serious application. There's no way they should have caved under any motor you should be putting on a tripod with 1" piping.

That being said, I agree with the diagnosis. If you even have a 5 mph wind, I'd look for a way to brace the riser against wind whip perpendicular to the supporting base tube if you're looking at a moderately sized MPR rocket (AT Mustang, Initiator, etc.).

Kermie - I imagine the pad was older, but I do know that in it's original state it was not a good design so they chained it together. The eyebolt was at an angle, so the force was not in a direct pull along the axis of the eyebolt. Still though, I imagine that there was still a good deal of power and force on the eyebolt, because it bent 2 of them to a good 20 degree angle and sheared the other. All chain and quicklinks were intact. Here's a picture of the launch pad post launch...

J570W is not a whimps motor;)

OK, I'll try again.

This is a picture of the "adjustable head" on my PVC launch pad I recently built. Keep in mind that this is a prototype. It may show the effects of mistake made along the trial and error construction process. I plan on building another version of in incorporating the experience I gained.

I may try a PVC launch pad here in the future. I will try to think of ways to improve your design today, will post if I can think of anything.

Back