UK builders...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

womblegs

Reaction score
I've search the forum for tech help and come up a little short.
Can any of you UK guys recommend products used to finish a rocket?

Namely,

Sealer / Filler
Masking Tape
Primers and paints.

Iuse a lot of plasticote paints since they are the most common in the uk. |Halfords filler primer is superb stuff, and I've been known to pick up allsorts of cans in halfords sales.

3M magic tape is ace for masking.

I am currently using hairline crack filler for filling, but that's still experimental.

Hope this helps.

• Sanding Sealer: Whatever my local hobby shop has in stock.
  • Filler: Fine Surface Pollyfilla (still Beta testing this)
  • Masking tape: The stuff I sell at work. It comes from an obscure company called Tick-e-tape
  • Primers and Paints: Good old Plisti-Kote; although I must try some Halfords stuff - I've been hearing good things about it.
Sanding Sealer is the hardest to find 'cos you need a proper hobby shop, not B&Q. If you're having trouble finding it, theres an online hobby shop at https://www.hobby.uk.com/. They also sell the Deluxe Materials range of glues - these are well worth checking out.

I use the spray from halfords with good results and they seem to have a 3 for the price of 2 offer on a lot of the time.I generally pick up sealer and filler from deepsky or local model shops.I also picked up a brass angle,and some great cheap knifes from a hardware market stall.:)

Thanks for the link, just ordered this....

MODEL LITE FILLER
SUPER PHATIC GLUE

I'll let you all know how I get on. I've been using Hycote paint with great results so far.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the Super Phatic, womblegs. I've been using the Aliphatic Resin, and I'm very pleased with that.

Just to update, ordered the glue and filler from https://www.hobby.uk.com/
Excellent rates on postage and great service.

The filler is good, although it bows the balsa - so apply and then wrap in wax paper and place under a heavy book.

Yet to try the glue, hopefully try that tomorrow.

Gareth

The Super Phatic glue is also very good. I've found the best way to use it is apply a little to the fin. Allow 30 seconds before placing on the tube. It tacs in no time. Then run a line of it down both sides of the fin and it seeps in, essentially gap filling.

Back