MicroMark Apprentice Woodworking Machine?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wscarvie

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got an email from MicroMark showcasing a tool I'd never heard of before: their "Apprentice Woodworking Machine." Link is below.

I'm curious whether any of you have this machine and might give me your opinion. I'm interested because it looks like it will give me an inexpensive lathe to turn nose cones, as well as a small drill press. I'm sure I'll find a use for the other features...actually, the scroll saw would be very handy for light ply fins.

Whatcha think?

here's the link

Looks like it has a little of everything for small projects, like model rocketry. I have a small work area, so a multifunction tool would be a good thing, however, it appears that the longest stock that could be turned in the lathe is only about 6 inches long. Might be a little small even for midsize cones. (NC 60-70-80)

Good point on the stock length, Bob. Still...I might just go to sandman for my big cones, if I can turn all the small stuff myself and get the rest of the tool capabilities thrown in.

I've been looking at other small lathes, and $99 is on the low end for other lathes alone.

So, the price is pretty good...but it does make me wonder about the quality.

Thanks.

What concerns me is the motor: 24V. How much torque can this possibly have?

I suggest buying a Delta Drill press for $60-$75 bucks.

Thanks for the link, Shockie.

Now..if only I had a drill that didn't step from "slow" to "really darned fast" quickly...

Probably worth the investment.

Thanks.

Will:
Micro-Marks mini lathe is WAY to expensive, and far to small for anything but very small micro - short bt-50 stuff. I bought one for my 14 year old nephew last christmas. he's had some of fun with it turning small objects for his train layout and some small nose cones and transitions but had trouble with limited access inside the stocks. The grizzly drill lathe is a REALLY Good price for any lathe.
I've have 2 mini lathes a Dremel which is no longer available and a belt driven 14" between centers Delta. Puchased between $120.00 & 140.00 several years ago, I like both for there intended purpose. Dremel for micor's to BT-20 cones and transistions, the Delta will handle BT-50 to BT-80 short cones and my $95.00 Chicago (HarborFreight.com) full size 48" between centers lathe for anything larger or longer up to 12" dia and 48" long:)
I saw a "mini lathe" in the micro-marks catalog for 160.00 +/- capacity was 6" dia by 14.5 between centers. this isn't a bad deal but I'm sure if you look around you can fine something in the 140.00 range, which would be my suggestion if you are looking for a "mini lathe". You can still buy full size lathes for around $100.00 for harbor fright or Sears recently had 14" lathes on sale for under 120.00 bucks..
Whatever tool you purchase. you're going to have for a LONG time so think carefully about what, and how often you will be using this tool. I'd try to say in the 100.00 to 150.00 buck range.
Hope this helps.

PS: don't forget your gonna need some turning tools and accessories along the way also.... Files, emery boards, sandpaper blocks and hacksaw blades work will for some things but a good set of turning tools will make this activity a lot more productive and enjoyable. Minimum would be a skew chisel and a parting tool.

I look at Micro-Mark's stuff occaisionally, then I go to Harbor Frieght or NorthernTool and buy twice the tool for half the price.

Harbor Frieght
ITEM 3173-0VGA
$39.99

Zippy,
harbour freight had this same micro lathe on sale a couple months ago for $13!!.only difference was it was gold anodise instead of red
I went to get one and it was so tiny I set it back down
after a little while I thought,, what the heck.for $13.....by than they were all gone
some flea market hoarder had grabbed the last 5.
I asked him if he would leave atleast one behind, but he refused ....no great loss

It's the first lathe I've ever seen that actually hangs in a blister pack on the peg hooks.!

Zippy, go with something a little more beefy

styme,

That small eh? Never saw one in person. Maybe they should put it in a really big box.

annother option for the tinkering types ,(with a little effort)

If you can find an old sewing machine(cheap or free) ,they make great hobby lathes,you even have a variable speed foot pedal in the process
the foot pedal can be converted to a knob ...if need be

most older sewing machines are full of torque.
on certain models you can strip the front half off and you have your spindle and verticle base ! ready to go
.the only tricky part is adapting your choice of chuck to the spindle,I'm currently looking for one myself.

o_O

i had one of those before! i think back in 4th grade, got it for christmas. I remember working with my dad building God knows what.

it was pretty cool, to use the different tools, I think you had to sometimes dissamble it and turn things around. Most had dual functions I think.

spent a lot of cold days in the garage destryoing balsa wood with that jigsaw!

Will:
Harbor Freight has a very nice 1/3hp var. speed "mini-wood lathe 5.75" swing, 13" between centers Over all 11"h x 6"w x 27" long, cast iron base PN 41648-0VGA for $129.99 Looks very good.

Back