NARAM 46 Competition models

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
OK, this is the last year I can compete in A division, and my parents have agreed to take me to NARAM 46! I plan on competing in A boost glide, 1/2A helicopter, B rocket glide, B payload altitude if I can figure out what the requirements are, and Sport Scale. I do not have to worry about sport scale models, I am in the building process of a mountainside Hobbies 4"V2, no problemo there, but the other competitions I need kit reccomendations. I would apreciate it if all the kits had fins already cut out, I am horrible at cutting accurate angles, and I also need to know where to buy them. Right now I am looking at the Edmonds IVEE2G competition model, for the A boost glide, and maybe a QCR Rotarc or similar for 1/2 A helicopter, but I do not know of any good B rocket glide models, or payload altitude. Any reccomendations? If this sounds like too much to work on I can kick the payload, but the others I really want to do. I am very undecided, and I have NEVER competed before, but all my BG models tend to fly longer than I really want them too, if my loosing my Deltie TWICE in the swamp in amesbury (found it the first time in perfect condition, lost it entirely the second. let me know if you see it!) is anything to go by..... but, that is a kit that any beginner can build (my first), not a true competition model. Advice, please!

Congrats Neil....You will have alot of fun..

For B RG I would consider the use of a QCR Kit.....The Easy Slide 2....
It will be competitive as trimming and launching into good air and model recovery are very important to competition..

As far as B PAyload you might want to consider the ASP Versiloader and ASP alos sells a PAyload kit..

https://www.asp-rocketry.com/versiloaderimage.html
https://www.asp-rocketry.com/compkits.html

I do not know if either the QCR or ASP kits have precut fins, get a good metal ruler and triangle to make good straight cuts...

hope this helps

shockie B)

WEll, my asp 18MM V2 had laser-cut, but I have never used a QCR before. Thanks for the advice.

Also, for BG, if you have a really good design and catch good thermals, you may want to consider using a dethermalizer on it.

A dethermalizer is a timed fuse that typically burns through a string that causes the glider to become unstable and drop quickly from the sky. The goal is to set it up so that you get what you feel would be a winning maximum glide then drop so that you don't loose it.

I hope to be entering that event myself. Should be cool

what is it called? I can't seem to find it.

Guess it isn't Apogee. I might have seen that in the 4th edition Handbook, but I can't seem to find even a payload section on there. I'll let ya know if I find one.

ASP has competition kits for payload.

I haven't competed yet, but the 'first time competitor' articles I've read seem to match your plan already, go with the kits until you have some experience with them.

I noticed in the last SR that edmunds seemed to have a few kits placing in some of the NARAM events.

Back