Got Color??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnie

Reaction score
"Got Color??"

My wife tells me I need to Find another color to paint my "Birds"

I say "WHAT???"

I have tried many different colors, and the one that stands out is Purple. I have used purple for most of my Sport Rockets, and for Sport Scale, I try to stay with the scale colors. But I always come back to my trusty Purple colors...

What is your color of choice when not going with a Sport Scale or total scale rocket??

Attached is my L2 from years back, this was my 1st Bird that I painted Purple...

...Last year I had to find a replacement for the since destroyed L2 Bird, so guess what color the replacement is?? I did try a little bit of variation...

Johnnie Paul

I usually try different combinations. I think of the rocket and say to myself, "Self, I say, what color would this look good in?" Course the scarey part is that myself always answers. :)

Try camouflage greens and tans. I like mid and Dark blues. or the combination blue and red(s)... purple.. well... it just has tooooo many associations;)

PG:
I know EXACTLY what you mean.. don't worry, it's when you ask self a question and no bodies listening your in trouble:D

(snipped)Course the scarey part is that myself always answers

I know, my wife says I'm scary like that sometimes.

If I don't go with purple, I usually go Black...how original huh?

Here is a photo of my newly completed VBR Javelin, what color should I paint it?

Johnnie Paul

p.s. PSSST! notice the "Purple Rail buttons from Matt Strum...

The stock paint combination for the VBR Javelin is black and yellow. I painted the fincan on my javelin black and then just above the fins I used yellow up to the payload bay. Then from the payload bay to the nose is black again. For detail I used gold pinstripe on the main BT in circular stripes to make it resemble a actual javelin. Turned out sharp I think.....

johnnie dont let them sway you, purple signifies royalty, the upper crust of rockets..

:)

i like purple too.

oh and that faux stone spray stuff is neat... hahaa royal purple stone - i'll have to try that...

Trogdor,

you are right, rock paint is genuine, as I saw on your Build table post, can't be good for aerodynamics though...aw who cares when it look that good, nice work.

Here is somemore variation from the Purple...Yellow, w/ some White, and a Hand painted logo!

Johnnie Paul

I tend to like Blue and Yellow in combination. This has nothing to do with the fact that I grew up in Michigan, however...rrriiiiiggggghhhhtttt.... I also like purple, though. Here's a shot of my Small Endeavour, which might look a little familiar...lol

Loopy

Originally posted by Johnnierkt
Here is a photo of my newly completed VBR Javelin, what color should I paint it?

Johnnie Paul

How about black with purple stripes?
Or, purple fading into black? :)

When I'm picking out colors, I tend to use what ever I have in the paint cabinet at the time, left overs from the last one. I like to use the duplicolor or plastikote metallics from the auto store, which gets kind of expensive, that's why I may do two or three in a row the same basic colors.

I saw in SR someone used wood grained contact paper to color his rockets. Different, tended to hide in the grass.

You can insert your own jokes about that now.

Personally, I was kind of stuck on black and white. The wife recommended red-white-blue, but I didn't want to be confused with the draft dodgers who are now finding it convient to wave the flag.

Then it hit me...How about school colors.

So my latest projects are going red-white-yellow. I saw some combinations and techniques on EMRR. When I get a digital camera, I'll post a couple of pics...

Maddogdelta,

That Heisenberg signiture thing, there is a rocket buddy of mine who has the same sig and so I had to ask, "who the heck is this Heisenberg?" You two should hook up, he is this guys reason for his field of study...

Anyways, school colors, thats a good idea, so I looked up the colors for the Community college I attend, and guess what...their colors are Purple and Gold...Go Johnnie, Go Johnnie...

Another rocket friend of mine is a Big Alabama fan...I live in Alabama, so it is no surprise, you are a BAMA or an Auburn fan, sheeesh, the rivalries are fun to watch...anyways, he paints all his stuff Red and White. My brother in Law paints his Orange and Blue (Auburn). So you are right, school colors are an excellent source for color combos...Unless you are an Auburn or BAMA fan...Red & White (BAMA)?? Not very original, and Orange & Blue (Auburn)...come on now, thats just not a pretty combo at all.

Johnnie Paul

So I live in Alabama right, and I get asked every season (Football) what team I pull for BAMA or Auburn, and I say neither. "What!!??" Thats unheard of they will say, "You Gotta Be for One or The other..." My reply..."What About Them Cowboys?" They say that is even worse, a Dallas Cowboy fan, and a Tennessee Titan fan...man o man, the "BEAR" is turnin over in his grave...

Don't get me wrong Mad Dog, I have a picture of my Brother~n~laws "Auburn" painted NCR Phantom 4000, and truely, it ain't purdy...

Johnnie Paul

I do all different colors. just try to have vareity.

The one thing not to do unless it is a scale job is paint camo....you will never find it

...well, purple it ain't.

I ran out of primer, while touching up some bondo work on my 2.6" VB Javelin, and was too cheap to run to the store to fetch more, so I used a can of Krylon Acrylic Med. Gray paint. Oh My what to my surprize, the PJ turned out so good, that I am going to leave it Grey. The color actually looks like a Gunmetal Grey, but either way it is the best I have ever done.

I named the Javelin "Grey Ghost from Coast to Coast"

Lacking a digital camera, I will hope to post an action shot of my G.G.C.C. Javelin in action at this weekends TRA S. Carolina EX launch being held in O'Burg...The G.G.C.C. will also be flying on some Grey Smokey propellant:D

Johnnie Paul

Back