Gel Epoxy?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashinj

Reaction score
Its been sugguested to me to use gel epoxy to fill some gaps on the bottom of "Four Of A Kind". I've been holding off untill we did our weekly shopping thing to get some. Figured I'd be able to get it at Wallyworld. Well, after going to a few places I can't find no such critter. So like what am I looking for? And were do you get it?

Puzzled CrashinJ

The epoxy gel I use is made by Locktite and I got it at Lowes or Home Depot. It comes in a dual syringe and hangs in a blister pack.

Ok, combined a extra trip to town today I went to Lowes and got the Gel Epoxy after I had to explain to a cashier what epoxy was. She had no clue and still doesn't, where do they get these people. Anyway got it, just tried it on my 2nd DW and that stuff is pretty neat. Soon as this oven (room) cools down I'll start putting it on "Four of a Kind".

CrashinJ

Crash,
How did the DW turn out? How do feel about the gel epoxy for fillets, etc?

:D Bob, I finially got some after going to Lowes and explaining to the gal who helped me find it what epoxy was..she had never heard of epoxy???? Oh Well.:rolleyes:

I used it on my regular DW, and the "Four of a Kind". It did the job almost perfect. In fact I plan on using it for fillets from now on.;)

I have not work on any rockets since I did it because my son who is in the Air Force is home visiting. I'm giving most of my time to him, and the deck out back that were building. I'm loving every minute of him being home too! He leaves next week unless I can find a way to hold him hostage, then I should be able to get back to things. hehe

CrashinJ

Crash,
Have fun with your boy while he is home. I can't imagine not having mine around all the time, even when they make me crazy.
Maybe we'll convert some of these heathens who are still arguing over white or yellow glue! :D :D :D

I've never used gel epoxy, I should try it
enjoy your son being home

:D As the commericial says" Try it, You'll Like it!!"

Our club had a launch this morning, we actually finially got to fly. I took James and altho we were only there a couple hours got to fly a few rockets, James had a fun time!

And now back to working on the deck with my son.!

CrashinJ

:D

I used the gel for filleting my BSD Horizon and it worked OK, but I really prefer a combination of West Systems and amorphous silica filler. Sounds fancy, but any thinnish, long set epoxy should work fine and a little filler goes a long way. I bought generic silica from a local plastics guy. Add the filler 'til you get a consistency similar to meringue. It's easier to work w/ than the gel, and creates a pretty, light fillet.

YMMV,
-bill

Back