Monocote

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weekends

Reaction score
I just recieved my PML AMRAAM 3. The detail scheming calls for several stripes of metalic colors along the body. The main body is gray. I am going to paint the main body with Krylon Gray. I was thinking about using monocote for the stripes. There are six stripes in four different colors. The striping ranges from .75" to 3.75" in thickness.

I have never used monocote before. Any ideas if this is a good choice for the striping? Will it apply easily over a painted surface? Any input or alternative ideas would be great.

Thanks,
Weekends

:D Yeppers you can do it. I put monocote on my buddy's Lv2 rocket for him. He has had no problems with it at all. Get the trim sheets, then you can cut the stripes down to however thick or thin you need. The trim sheets has a backing that you simply peel off, then apply to the rocket. If you get any bubbles in it and more than likely you will, just take a straight pin and poke them, smooth out, poke, smooth...you get the idea. I don't think you really need to use a iron on them, but I did on my friends.

If ya need any ideas/help, or have more questions give me a email, I'll be more than happy to help!
:p

Crashin J

Jerry Felts
[email protected]

I have both a PML AMRAAM3 and an AMRAAM 4 and I used Monokote trim sheets to do the striping on both of them. It works very well.

I have seen Ken's Amraams and both his A3 and A4 are done well with Monokote. I highly recommend using the Krylon Glossy Light Gray paints...it's called Pewter Gray; the glossy paint makes the strips of monokote adhere very well. Also, use Windex or a bowl of water with a drop of soap in it to apply each strip; spray it on the decal and BT, then apply. The spray allows you to move the strip around before it sticks, so you can position it correctly. Once in place, press down, then squegee out the excess and blot with a paper towel.

Carl

Guys:
the soapy water trick Carl is talking about is called a wetting agent, actually you add 2 drops of Any dishwashing liquid to a pint of water. then stick it in any kind of pump spary bottle you have laying around.. windex, plant watering, I use an empty chloroaseptic bottle:). I find it easier to lay the vinyl or monocoat strip adhesive side up on the table then wet the entire adhesive surface. Wet the area on the rocket to be trimmed. apply the trim and slide it around until you have it exactly where you want it then squegee down in the direction of the wrap, on large flat areas start from the center out in all directions. To insure complete contact wait about an hour or longer, over night is ok. than re-squegee the entire application. if you are going to get any bubbles this will be the time. A straight pin piont hole on the far side of the bubble is all thats needed to smooth them out. Use of the wetting agent prevents almost all bubblingl. This process works for all adhesive backed materials, Colored Vinyls, selfstick letters, monocoat trim sheets, even contact paper.
Hope this helps

I've never used it, but I think I'll get some the next time I'm at the hobby store.

Originally posted by Micromister
Guys:
the soapy water trick Carl is talking about is called a wetting agent,

Good tip guys! I would have thought it would have messed up the adhesive. I'll make sure I give it a try next time.

Thanks for all the great advice. It will makes things a whole lot easier. After having read your replies, I went and reread the instructions for the AMRAAM. Of course, right on the front page, it suggest the builder to use monkote or a similar product. :D
Now I'm gonna have to thoroughly reread the instructions. Who knows what else I missed! I think it said somewhere to use epoxy and not Elmers white glue. :p

Thanks,
Weekends

I have avoided monokote in the past as it advocates ironing the material.

So has anyone actually used the stuff without heat? Does it stick well? Can It be used as a body rap without heat?

Thanks!!

Trim monokote is self adhesive. It comes in strips about 4" x 36" as I remember...don't have an intact sheet to measure. Also comes in pin stripes IIRC. Regular monokote is a big sheet and requires ironing.

astronboy,

Not regular Monocote, but Monocote "Trimcote"

Monocote Trimcote specifically does NOT use the iron on technique.

It's just a peal and stick material.

Trimcote comes in (I think) 6" x 36" sheets. just cut the pattern and apply, no iron required.

sandman

Thanks!!

I will be picking some Trim Monokote up at lunchtime then!!

I am thinking that I may use trim Monocote for the white and silver areas on the Bomarc. Paint the body all black Krylon, stick on the color panels. Opinions?

I'd go for it. The monokote will provide a great finish. The only problem will be the monokoted areas may stand out because their finish is better than the surrounding paint. When it came to the finishing of the fins on my Fireball XL-5 , I opted for monokote.

Back