The Bertha Family

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KISS

Of course, I suck at that, so my Bertha plan is to upscale the Mini-Brute Mini-Bertha #0803 (TK-3) back to BT-60, capturing the slight variation in fin and nose cone shape, and then doing the Centuri-style roll pattern and groovy 1970s cartoon peace sign graphics. And make it a 3x18 cluster as a hat tip to the Ranger, because that's something more to do that's not KISS.

Not sure where the best place to post this but this one seemed appropriate. I'm looking for an insert card for the Big Bertha. I was wondering if any of you had one you could scan for me? I've been taking my insert cards of rockets I've built, gluing them to poster board and hanging them in my rocket room. I would love to have a BB up there but I built mine before I had the 'keep the insert' idea.

Not sure where the best place to post this but this one seemed appropriate. I'm looking for an insert card for the Big Bertha. I was wondering if any of you had one you could scan for me? I've been taking my insert cards of rockets I've built, gluing them to poster board and hanging them in my rocket room. I would love to have a BB up there but I built mine before I had the 'keep the insert' idea.
I think I have one. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Don’t forget the Mini-Bertha! It was one of my best fliers as a kid, until it landed on the gym roof at a school launch.
Yep, that's one of my all-time-favorites, I scratch built a clone about 2 years ago as a tribute to my Parents since that was the first rocket they bought for me as a kid. I flew that thing until it completely wore out.

My aging memory may well be wrong, but I think that the Big Bertha was Vern Estes' favourite rocket.

My aging memory may well be wrong, but I think that the Big Bertha was Vern Estes' favourite rocket.
He's been quoted as saying that on several occasions.

He designed it, and it's been in the Estes catalog since 1966, though it first appeared in a Model Rocket News in April of 1963. It's the kit that's been around longer than any other.

That's why I wanted to ask @DymondY2K "OK, which version out of the sixty-year history of the model?" for his face card search.

Here's what I did with my Bertha. The one of the left is the Super, the one of the far right is a MMX scratch build. Stickers are from Stickershock, the three on the left side. The three on the right are home printed and obviously not as bright. I've just always loved the Broadsword style.
394295-ca514a7c5a3f0d012885432c12c683bf.jpeg

From left to right: Super Big Bertha, regular Big Bertha, New Way Rocketry's version, Baby Bertha, Mini-Brute-Mini-Bertha scratch build, and MMX scratch build. The MMX is built on a BT-5 and flies like a champ on an MMX motor.

He's been quoted as saying that on several occasions.

He designed it, and it's been in the Estes catalog since 1966, though it first appeared in a Model Rocket News in April of 1963. It's the kit that's been around longer than any other.

That's why I wanted to ask @DymondY2K "OK, which version out of the sixty-year history of the model?" for his face card search.
Actually @Rocket86 nailed it. Both of the ones I have were from the Beta Series although neither have that paint job and decals. Out of all the BB paint schemes through the years I thought the 'Beta' version was the worst.

Back