Simple indirect/clustered BP staging

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trogdor

Reaction score
ok, so my interest in BP clusters and multi-stage rockets was reawakened recently by a Ranger clone that I finally got around to making clip-whips for and a couple Estes 2 stagers... I really like The Launch Pad kits (only built 1 of the 5 I've purchased so far) but have none of the cluster 2 stage kits for some reason. Anyway, I read somewhere about the staging system Chuck uses in his kits and it seems to just be some ignitor clips, a 9V battery clip and a lever switch. The switch is mounted so the lever sticks through a slot cut into one of the booster motor tubes so that when a motor is in the tube the switch is closed. Then, after say a D12-0 burnout, the D12-0 ejects from the tube (no retention other than maybe a little tape to hold it from falling out of the motor tube before launch) thus opening the switch and closing the circuit that ignites the upper stage. Then a delay on say another D12-5 in the booster will pop a chute on the booster while the upper stage continues normally... I can't really think of a better, simpler or cheaper way to do this. How about you guys?

...and I'm not trying to be a pain, I'm just askin' because I have no experience whatsoever with staging.

1) What makes the D12-0 eject itself? Would the expanding gases from the burn out of the top be enough to do this and, if so, would they manage to do so without causing a stage separation before the switch was able to activate the upper stage (I'm guessing that with this setup, you have the battery setup in the lower stage)? You could plug the top of that motor tube to ensure enough pressure for ejection, but then heat damage in that area would be a real concern.

2) How do you ensure that the D12-5 ejects the chute? I'm guessing that using ejection to perform a booster deployment means that the chute is above the motor mount and is going to eject towards the forward end of the booster. Since the top is already open, wouldn't you risk the ejection charge blowing past the chute and not deploying it?

I really am ignorant on staging issues, and just got my first CHAD staged kit (CC Express). I'm becoming increasingly interested in it, however, and would like to know more about methods, pros/cons of each method, etc.

You might also want to check a discussion thread here on the forum some time ago that discussed gap staging. Not sure exactly which category it was in though.

no prob... ya, the booster motor will provide enough force from the top end of the propellent rupturing to eject the entire motor.. it's not retained, just a motor block and a slight friction fit to hold it in on the pad... no fire damage by plugging that motor tube and saturating all exposed areas with a layer of epoxy... love that epoxy!

Second part I'd try loading the parachute in the motor tube itself or maybe make an ejectable interstage coupler thing that acts like a nose cone or block that will pull the chute out like a conventional rocket....

Gap staging I am familiar with but really my interest is ejecting a parachute from the booster without side pods... and the delayed effect of ejecting after sustainer ignition and separation is cool!

CHAD staging means to attach a booster motor to the bottom of the sustainer motor without a corresponding booster stage/fins... just hangs out there trying to affect the CG as much as it can! So if you don't use the booster stage of your CC, it'd be CHAD staging... BTW that kit looks nice, what do you think of it so far?

I've used CHAD staging a lot with Bertha type kits and long "super-roc" types but never considered a D12 to C6 in a Snitch as someone mentioned earlier! That's a cool idea.. I HAVE tried a D24 reload however, and that's exciting compared to a B6!

Ahhh....I figgered CHAD staging was just what you get when you tape 2 motors together, whether you wrap a stage around the back one or not. I haven't flown it yet, but it's an easy build. I just need to put a finish on it and then I'll let ya know how it flies.

You said something about staging to a D24 reload.... was this a D24 composite propellant RMS reload? I would really like more details on this.

The reason that I am so curious is that everything I have ever read and everyone I have ever talked to says "it can't be done." If you have done this - sucessfully - I would be very interested in hearing the details.

- Ken

oops, sorry I guess I wasn't clear with that last sentence, nah, that D24 was composite but all by its lonesome. Staging with composites would probably need a battery and some wires on board somewhere.... although I wonder if you painted the head end of the grain with pyrogen, then used a shielded piece of thermalite only exposing that head end and ignite the end sticking out of the motor with a BP booster motor's charge perhaps enhanced with more BP or something else really flammable if that would work?!?! Just be kinda like the old method of lighting air-starts without electronics, just having thermalite sticking in the main motor's exhaust... seems possible but I have no experience with it..

Back