Painting Flames...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Hello once again...

I am currently prepping a rocket for its paint job. I'd like to run flames from the top towards the midsection and leave the rest black.

I need some tips on painting flames on a rocket. The idea in mind is something similar to an old Chevy hotrod. I figure I'll have to mask areas off and physically make the flame templates. The question in mind is regarding the painting technique. Do I paint a layer of red, then mask an area and then paint orange, then yellow, etc? Will I need an airbrush or will paint cans do the job?

Thanks in advance.

For multi layer color, it is always easier to go from a light color to a dark color.

Some lighter colors might let the darker underneath show through.

Yes you can use spray cans. If you want a feathered edge...that might be easier with an air brush. If you just use a template some of the overspray might give it a cool effect.

Start with a good compatable primer.

Then paint the base yellow on the front.

When that is dry mask off the flame pattern and paint the black.

Then mask and paint the orange then the red....

You get the picture.

Also, check the latest J.C. Whitney catalog...they might have a big flame sticker for cars that you could use.

If you have money to burn, go to a paint shop that specializes in motor cycles...or just ask them how.

good luck, and don't tick off the motorcycle guys,

sandman

Back