A nice afternoon of launching

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemanup

Reaction score
Well after what seemed like weeks and weeks we finally got some weather without the 30+ mph winds.

So we headed out to the local park with some un flown rockets and got to work.

First off was our Estes Nova Payloader on it's maiden voyage on a B6-4, got up nice and straight and looked good, however at ejection the plastic estes chute failed to deploy. Luckily no serious damage, so reloaded with a nylon chute it was back up on another B6-4. Another great flight and the chute deployed and it drifted down nicely.

Next was the little boy's rocket. Estes Skywriter which looks like a big No. 2 pencil. First flight was on a B6-4, great flight, nylon chute deployed great and a long drift for recovery. Reloaded for a second flight on an A8-3. Motor ignited, and up it went to probably a wopping150 feet, LOL again ejected good and chute deployed with no problems landing close to the pad.

Now for the good stuff, my unflown Mercury Redstone, loaded up with a C6-5, plastic 12" chute on the nosecone and a good nylon chute on the body. Great slow liftoff, good altitude and at ejection both chutes deployed perfectly and a nice drift down, whereas I caught the body and the nosecone landed softly. A great looking rocket in flight or just sitting on the pad.

Next was my first modified kit. An Estes Prowler, that I modified from the 18mm motor mount to a 24mm motor mount. Setup to go with a plastic 18" chute, just in case, didn't wanna loose a good chute. D12-7 loaded. At ignition it screemed up to a simmed altitude of over 700 feet, looked great going up, chute deployed and the thing took forever to come down, very slow on the 18" chute. The body tube is big and long enough, and very light it seems to slow it down also.

Reloaded with another D12-7, this time with an 18" chute with a spillhole and again another great flight, this thing really flies great on D12's. Descent was perfect with this chute.

Last rocket was our Estes Big Daddy, D12-3, maiden flight and up it went, another great flight, 18" chute used instead of the suggested 24 and descent seemed just right. Reloaded with a D12-5 and again another great flight and recovery, either delay seemed to work fine.

Five rockets with five maiden voyages, all worked out well, an enjoyable afternoon with the wife and littlest one.

Jason

Sounds like you guys had a great time! I just finished my Mercury Redstone a few days ago and have yet to fly it.

I've been debating on putting a decent pair of chutes in it or just to use the plastic ones that came with it. what size nylon chute did you put on the body?

Did you get any pics of your launches? We love pics! :D

Jason

My God.....

Phil and I saying the same thing at the exact same time...

Lord help us all :eek:

Back