F-22 Jato Assisted Electric Jet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hahaha...good one Dick...and thanks! Yea, I don't know about plastic surgeon, but I can tell you foam is a bear to work with; it's not as pretty as it was close up. I can work with all kinds of materials and fabrics, but Styrofoam is not my forte'.

Oh yea...that "plastic thingy" ... I believe is called a propeller. :)

I should fly it this weekend and get it trimmed out.

Carl

Well, I did finish repairing the bottom cover so all repairs are complete. I spent ALOT of time on the radio...came to find out the throws are a lot more realistic when you use 150ms for servo centers. ;) They don't change from Calibrate mode to Flight mode like they were before. Thanks Ken P for the tip!

I set all the centers to 150ms, then set throws on the elevators and Ailerons. Also, the BIG throw I was measuring which I thought was radio actually wasn't as big as I thought. They want you to measure 3/4" up and down on the Elevators from the FRONT of the stab, which makes the tail appear to throw excessively, although it's ok. So the settings there were not a problem.

I did see something I missed...the center position for the elevator is 1/8" BELOW centerline...I had it AT centerline, so when it first launched, it already had down in it. Also, I was going to mix flaps in, but found out that the second Aileron servo would have to be plugged in channel 7 and I only have a 5 channel receiver. Oh well, another time.

Flight this weekend...more to come,

Carl

The Raptor Flies!!!

Well, the kids and I took the Raptor and the Mirage 2000 out to the local elementary school's park, where I used to take them to play in the playground when they were younger. I opened the hood of the car and we started charging the 8-cell power packs with my HiTec charger. The F-22 Raptor was the first on the charger and was ready in about 15 minutes.

It was windy today, I would say about 10mph winds and it was a cool day, around 55-60 degrees. I figured with the wind it shouldn't take much to launch and I was right. I held the MicroPro 8000 xmitter with my right hand, , gripped the F-22 with my left, moved the throttle to full with my chin and gave it a toss from a stand still.

It took to the skies great, climbing up and out! I didn't fly it over 50-100 feet above the ground, mainly to see it for better control as we didn't have a whole lot of room like at a flying field. It required no trim at all, one click of right Aileron probably but I didn't bother. Going upwind, it was a slow flier, managing maybe 25 mph, but downwind it cooked, at least 60mph. I was having so much fun I couldn't stand it!!! It turned well and even did rolls, which required a bit more up when inverted and that surprised me.

The landing was a cinch, slightly nose down on deadstick, the flare, and it landed at about 5mph. It was sooooo much fun I picked it up and tossed it again real quick, took it once around the park and landed it again. back on the charger it went.

Next, we took up my son's Mirage 2000, which didn't fair as well. it hand launched fine, but the wind was whipping pretty good as this plane was no where near as heavy as the Raptor. On my first turn, a gust of wind hit the upper wing and flipped it inverted; it was headed for the ground. I rolled it out upright but didn't have enough to pull up as the control surfaces were not responding as well down wind. The nose got wrinkled and had a small crack in it, but all is repaired now and it's ready to go again. My boy was a bit devistated, but understood. His sister didn't help much either when she sat on it in the car...more repairs, but they are now complete. Bad hair day for the boy...

Well, I took the Raptor up again as the battery had charged and I had a blast with it. Mind you this is a tight field, about the width of a football field and maybe twice as long. There was a treeline I was flying above at around 100 feet and the road was at one end, but it still was easy to keep in the park. Another smooth landing had me hooked. I did notice there was a problem though...the motor was not at full throttle. I had to give it full throttle trim this time and the performance was much better.

It was placed on charge once more and the kids and I went to have some fun in the playground. The battery did take a full charge but was hot from running, so flight time was no where near the several minutes I got from the first runs...only about 4 or 5 times around. A guy pulled in driving a new pickup and watched the last time as I put the F-22 Raptor through the moves. Inverted flight, Emmelmans and another roll right before landing wrapped it up as a good day. The landing was perfect, with the exception of some green grass stains on the bottom. I talked to the guy for a while and he was absolutely amazed with the plane, and so was I actually! He took off and we headed home and gave em a rest.

With three good flights under my belt I can say this plane is ready for a rocket motor. For more performance, it still would require a bit more Aileron, but I guessed at the settings as it was designed for Elevons. Elevator was set at the full 3/4" throw and responded well. I will reset my throttle throw to increase performance, but am pleased with it so far. We have a sport launch tomorrow, but I am not sure if I will make it with the kids, however, I will let you all know how the first launch goes.

Carl
aka...I am hooked!!! :)

:jealousy mode: That sounds horrible, I bet it sucked! :end jealousy mode:

I truely want one! Good luck at the launch, we will be waiting for a complete report.

The Raptor flew!!! Saturday, May 26, 2002 it had it's debute on the rod. Our local NAR club Prez, Mark Fisher, was kind enough to load up one of his 24mm plugged E12 loads and we placed it on the pad. We actually had to lean the outer wing on the 1/8" launch rod, so the breeze wouldn't spin it. Rod angle was at 20 degrees and when the button was pushed, it took of the rod like a dream!!! I had to give it alot of down elevator on launch but it went straight up to about 500 feet. I nosed it over, then turned into the wind, keeping it nose down so it wouldn't stall. It did a couple unexpected loops (may have been stall) on me but landed upright and safely on the ground. The E12 is the PERFECT motor for this bird! What a day...Big thanks go to Mark for supplying the reload.

Now I just have to see if I can get a review to Nick before the 30th ;)

Carl

Way to go man!! Were you able to get somebody to take pics for us??? ;)

I knew you would figure out a way to make it work.

Jason

Latest posts

Back