Smooth Fluorescent Paint Choice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMRR

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation on a Fluorescent Paint that is smooth? I used Kylon Green once on my Holverson Zoomie but it was really rough finish.

Any thoughts on a smooth one?

Nick

Hope someone has the answer. Off the top of my head, I forget which brand I've used, but it was definitely a flat (color-wise), relatively rough finish. The Testor's brush-ons are not quite so bad, but the don't cover evenly and come in such teeny-weeny bottles. Does testors make fluorescent sprays?

Nick,

I have seen small cans of flourescent paint at Wal-Mart and the auto stores for touch up. If they are for cars, there is a good chance they will leave a gloss finish.

Carl

Between 1990 and 1993, I must have gone through 136 cans of Krylon red-orange fluorescent on various rockets; AAA Pennsylvania Crude, LOC EZI-65, Estes Stealth [!], THOY Phoenix [!!!]. The one thing that drove me crazy about it was the matte finish. Maybe I wasn't going heavy enough with the clear coat, but I could never quite seem to get enough on there.

I used Krylon Flourescent Orange from Walmart and it turned out smooth, so I must have used something different last time that made it fuzzy.

Here's the where I used the Flourescent Orange:

Mercury Transport Prototype

- Nick

I like House of Kolor Neon paint to make a flourescent finish. This is an automotive type paint and requires a clear coat.

If done properly, you will get a high gloss finish.

Back