Wallops launch in T-1hr!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a video of the explosion if anyone missed it.

[video=youtube;jHMmMgdcOSU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHMmMgdcOSU[/video]

Wow that was crazy seeing that live, glad no one seemed to be hurt! Dang, thats a real bummer for everyone, gonna be one expensive clean-up.....

Here is a video of the explosion if anyone missed it.

[video=youtube;jHMmMgdcOSU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHMmMgdcOSU[/video]

Thank you. That's gotta hurt and they want to put what 8 people on one of these. My response begins with f and ends in that

Really crazy to see it live
Its on CNN now... but they're calling it a "NASA rocket" :confused: come on CNN

Last edited:
Really crazy to see it live
Its on CNN now... but they're calling it a "NASA rocket" :confused: come on CNN

Well - it is being streamed/ broadcast on NASA.gov. But yeah, fact-check much?

"Orbital launch control confirming no injuries. All personell accounted for."

Well - it is being streamed/ broadcast on NASA.gov. But yeah, fact-check much?

Yeah, I'm watching it there live, I was just curious to see if it made the headlines, and then my mom wanted to see what the analysts had to say, so I kept it on.
NASA.gov streaming said something about security concerns... intriguing
Now they're calling it a "NASA Contracted Rocket"

Last edited:
doesn't seem to be much more on the feed right now... still streaming live picture with occasional "if you're just joining us.." updates from Houston launch control.

Something like this makes me feel less bad about pranging my Big Daddy.

I'm glad no one was hurt. Hopefully they can figure out what went wrong and move forward. In the meantime, was there anything critical going to the ISS?

based on my relatively minimal knowledge,to me, it didn't look like an aborted flight, since the rocket stayed in one piece until it hit the ground, unlike what I would expect an abortion (no not that abortion) would look like. I would expect they would want teeny tiny pieces. But rather this looked like an honest to goodness explosive failure?

Last edited:
Ouch. I missed watching it live, but found a video of it on YouTube... Very dissapointiing. It'll be interesting to find out what caused the failure.

Something like this makes me feel less bad about pranging my Big Daddy.

I'm glad no one was hurt. Hopefully they can figure out what went wrong and move forward. In the meantime, was there anything critical going to the ISS?

Food... about 1K pounds of food.

@nute: I dunno if aboring would have been the best move at that time if they had the chance. I would think that while still a pain in the ass, letting ti fall like it did would still be better than blowing it up and likely making the debris field larger. Especially if what I am hearing about crypto equipment is true.

Thank you. That's gotta hurt and they want to put what 8 people on one of these. My response begins with f and ends in that

I don't think they intend to put any people at all in Cygnus capsules or on Antares rockets. I don't think these are intended to be man-rated.

My two cents worth. I did not think the one engine was up to pressure when it left the pad. It seemed to start drifting right after lift off. The explosion seemed to be about the time when they throttled up. Terrible thing to watch.

Last edited:
My two cents worth. I did not think the one engine up to pressure when it left the pad. It seemed to start drifting right after lift off. The explosion seemed to be about the time when they throttled up. Terrible thing to watch.
I agree. Lift-off seemed slow and the rocket, while remaining vertical, appeared to drift to the right on the video. Liquids are very unforgiving if the motor hiccups.

Bob

Now they're saying no one is to discuss anything they know outside of their family. They're saying everyone to be very judicious in avoiding speculation. Interesting stuff.

I don't think they intend to put any people at all in Cygnus capsules or on Antares rockets. I don't think these are intended to be man-rated.

Ah right. Need too have a read up on these. Was the the 1st?

Bet that boat is glad too be out the way now. Think that was the real reason for the delay or did they know something was missing??

I too am glad that no one was hurt, but that had to make a real mess where it cratered. I wonder how much damage it caused to ground facilities.

I agree with others that the rocket looked wrong from the get-go. One motor just didn't look like it was up to full grunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Ah right. Need too have a read up on these. Was the the 1st?

Bet that boat is glad too be out the way now. Think that was the real reason for the delay or did they know something was missing??

I think Orbital has had one successful demonstration mission and two successful ISS resupply missions before this failure.

I agree, the boat was probably happy not to be in the way this time!

Now they're saying no one is to discuss anything they know outside of their family. They're saying everyone to be very judicious in avoiding speculation. Interesting stuff.

The launch director claimed that If NTSB gets involved they have first rights to interview people.

I've not watched startup of one of these before, but that looked like a hard start on a motor, or else an explosion beside one of the motors, and immediately on liftoff the rocket had a non-vertical trajectory but self-corrected. Lift-off definitely seemed a bit slow. I'm thinking one engine wasn't fully functional after startup, and things went downhill from there.

Ouch!

Gerald

The launch director claimed that If NTSB gets involved they have first rights to interview people.

Just like in the movie Flight. I hope it wasn't a factor that Denzel Washington was up all night drinking, smoking weed, and snorting coke!

Not meant to be...could've seen it here in Charlotte, I was in position last night on top of a parking deck. Tonight I had to be at work during launch on the opposite side of the city, so I wasn't seeing it tonight regardless. That was crazy to watch...never seen a failure live. Sure it was a streaming video, but dang!!! That's a real bummer for that entire operation....Wallops, Orbital, and ISS.

Challenger was live for me, and I remember seeing the mother's reaction--she knew instantly--even before the media or launch control uttered, "We have an anomaly," or words to that effect.

cecil

Flash on left side base of booster just after ignition at 22:22:39.750, then just looked under powered coming off pad.

Last edited:
Back