Looking for a 3" fiberglass kit with 54mm mount

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CzTeacherMan

Reaction score
So this is a long way off for me, but I'm looking to build a DD Level 2 rocket, and I want to build with fiberglass... I'm considering going scratch, but I also want to find a kit out there that fits the bill. Any ideas? Cheaper to scratch build? This is a long term, save up the money kind of deal... Looking to build over winter, paint in spring and launch summer of 2015. I could go 4", but I'm looking to adapt down to level 1 motors for testing and learning dual deploy.

Wild man it's 3" and has a 54mm . Then there is rocket warehouse , pole cat , the pain killer that one is eazy to.find just look at the banner . The options are out there . Also look through the search . Upscaled rocket are fun

Well, I generally say "scratch build" whenever someone is so inclined. Especially if it's a long-term build. Much more satisfaction in building, but it will NOT be cheaper.

Kit-bashing is the next best option - buy a kit that's close to what you want/envision (and therefore get most of the parts cheaper than buying individually), then change it up.

Wildman's 3" is a great option; another would be the Performance WH G3.

If you really want to go first class, get a Dominator3 from ProLine - comes standard with red anodized metal tip, Aeropack tailcone retainer, and aluminum bulkplates. Also includes really nice charge wells. Gary just had a great little sale/promotion going on these and I believe they are no longer in stock at the moment, but I imagine they will become re-available soon. I was lucky enough to score one, and it may be the first kit I build as-is since an Estes AlphaIII many many years ago.

Whichever way you go, you know the drill - make sure you post pics/stories/launch reports and all that.
s6

If you want a kit, Gary came up with a winner with his 3" Painkiller, and at $119 + recovery & retainer, it will be tough to beat:
https://www.blastcaprocketry.com/contact.html

I'm almost done building mine, and its a very sharp looking kit, and an easy build. If you are budget conscious, most other glass kits setup for DD are more. A competitor/dominator 3/G3 are more like $200. I also built a Wildman darkstar 3" that is a really cool kit, on special it was $150 - don't know if they are available, but even if so not at that price.

Just ordered my own painkiller 3, hoping to do L1 and L2 with it on the same timeframe... Winter build, spring/summer flights.

I am just in the process of building the GT PK3 and have Wildman's 3" limited edition DarkStar, the one with the aluminum tip, both of which I picked up at URRF this year. The DarkStar is not on his website often as it is limited but I believe Wildman Carolina may have one, which is where I purchased mine.

Both very nice kits and you can't go wrong with either of them as an L2 bird with DD.

Good luck on your L2, I plan to do mine at LDRS 34, possibly on one of these.

I would love a 3" Darkstar... If anyone sees one available, let me know!
Thanks for all the ideas, I'll have fun browsing for hours.

There's also the Rocketry Warehouse Formula98. Availble in lots of colors, with a recovery option, and never needs paint.

Any particular reason you want 3"? There are plenty of 4" kits that can fly on H and I (and even a few F and G) motors if you want to do L1 and L2.

Any particular reason you want 3"? There are plenty of 4" kits that can fly on H and I (and even a few F and G) motors if you want to do L1 and L2.

Yeah... 1) I like the look, and 2) once I certify, I'll be able to rock a K to awesome altitudes, whereas a 4" will cut down on that. Basically, looking for high performance on slightly cheaper motors.

Can always call wildman and ask for a 3" darkstar. worst case he says no. I have one, and a 3" Wildman with head end deploy. Both are great kits. I've also got a Painkiller 3 in a box waiting to be built. Any of those, or a RW G3 are pretty safe bets.

Can always call wildman and ask for a 3" darkstar. worst case he says no. I have one, and a 3" Wildman with head end deploy. Both are great kits. I've also got a Painkiller 3 in a box waiting to be built. Any of those, or a RW G3 are pretty safe bets.

That's what I was thinking...

The Wildman Competitor 3 is another option to consider.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1410835803.034487.jpg

Gorgeous paint job. Quick question... (like I said, I'm brand new to DD), what is "head end dual deploy"?

Head end DD puts the main recovery gear in the nose cone. This results in a booster section, Av-bay in a standard coupler and the nose cone. No payload section. You can look at CJ's JIMBO Jart thread for an excellent description. I hope the attached link works, if not search JIMBO and you will find it.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...MBO-quot-Jart-4-in-DD-in-NC-or-any-Jart-build!
I used this in single deploy configuration for my L1 and L2. I have 4 DD flights with it since and it works great. You can't go wrong with this bad boy IMHO.

Gorgeous paint job. Quick question... (like I said, I'm brand new to DD), what is "head end dual deploy"?

Thanks - to be humble, the paint is ok, the vinyl from Stickershock makes it look so good.

Jarhead covered the answer for head end dual deploy well. I followed CJ's steps that are linked for my setup.

I would love a 3" Darkstar... If anyone sees one available, let me know!
Thanks for all the ideas, I'll have fun browsing for hours.
Seeing as how you're not in a hurry, Wildman usually has a BlackFriday (BlackSaturday) sale every year with ridiculous prices. Visit the Wildman website and get on the notification of sales list.

I still have one left. I'm wildman Connecticut, but not bad for a canadian ;>

I am just in the process of building the GT PK3 and have Wildman's 3" limited edition DarkStar, the one with the aluminum tip, both of which I picked up at URRF this year. The DarkStar is not on his website often as it is limited but I believe Wildman Carolina may have one, which is where I purchased mine.

Both very nice kits and you can't go wrong with either of them as an L2 bird with DD.

Good luck on your L2, I plan to do mine at LDRS 34, possibly on one of these.

Yeah... 1) I like the look, and 2) once I certify, I'll be able to rock a K to awesome altitudes, whereas a 4" will cut down on that. Basically, looking for high performance on slightly cheaper motors.
cz,

Stick to your guns on 3" ... I agree with your points; 3" is best.

I fly the heck out of my 3" Wildman, except I had leftover parts when I built mine (motor mount and centering rings). I used those to build am adapter. I rocked my 3" Wildman to 20,650' at AIRFest.

--Lance.

Black Friday and wildmans black Saturday are also coming up.......

I still have one left. I'm wildman Connecticut, but not bad for a canadian ;>

Get this.
A PERFECT kit for what you want. I would have had a 3" Darkstar as my first suggestion had I thought they were available.

s6

Back