Can't open Open Rocket...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
"My" computer's monitor croaked (back light's got a bad connection, and I can't fix it myself. It's actually a state owned machine, and I don't want to wait for them to fix it (they denied me once already). Managed to get my old "killed" computer back up an running again just after the 4th of July w/help from a friend in the IT business (brand new HD, and purchased restoration disks from the manufacturer). Now as this is my primary computer (running Windows 7), I just tried to download Open Rocket, and the computer can't unpack the .jar file.

I tried downloading the recommended file I found on line (winzip), but it didn't work, and installed a browser hijacking search engine. I've managed to uninstall that. So, what do I need to download to get a .jar file to open?

You don't unpack it. You just need to install Java (not Javascript). Then it should be able to run the .jar file the way we normally expect a .exe to work on Windoze. And watch out for another one of those hijacking search things when you go to Oracle's site and install Java. You can opt out of installing it, but you need to watch the dialogs and not just take the default every time (or at least that's what the updates do).

That is the limit of my understanding. I'm sure someone who really understands what's going on in there can give you a more technically correct answer.

Last edited:
A jar file is a Java Archive, which is basically the Java equivalent of a Windows .exe

As BEC said, you don't need (or want) to unpack it. Install Java on your computer, which will setup the proper file type association for .jar files. Then, double-click the file and it will run.

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

-Kevin

Thanks for the help Guys!

I couldn't respond earlier to this as I was busy recovering from 3.5 chords... of oak. Why does firewood have to weigh so much?

I couldn't respond earlier to this as I was busy recovering from 3.5 chords... of oak. Why does firewood have to weigh so much?
Did you cut 3.5 chords or did you split 3.5 chords or stack 3.5 chords? Or perhaps all three?

I know what you're saying. I cut my own firewood, then have to haul it over to where I split and stack it. Oak is the worst for weight. I'm totally wiped out after a session of that.

Did you cut 3.5 chords or did you split 3.5 chords or stack 3.5 chords? Or perhaps all three?

I know what you're saying. I cut my own firewood, then have to haul it over to where I split and stack it. Oak is the worst for weight. I'm totally wiped out after a session of that.

Stack it. Fortunately, it was remnants from a furniture manufacturer, so it was already dry, and in small, manageable pieces. Unfortunately, it'll be hotter today, and I think there is still about 1.5 cords left to do today.

Back