ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
How many of you have done it? I just did it about 20 minutes ago... Holy crap that water is cold... :p

Vid is uploading at the moment... :p

Heres a great idea , everybody stop dumping water on your head . DONATIONS matter more then seeing how creativly you can get wet .

Eric

Matt that was not directed at you.

A good number of people have done both.

Exactly.

For those detractors, here's a number for ya:

Same time frame last year: $1.9 million raised for ALS research.

This year: $22.9 million raised and over 450,000 new donors.

I wish our fundraisers had that kind of exponential growth...even if it's only for a year.

FC

Every video should state the cause they are promoting, where to donate, and urge others to donate. Too often there is no mention of the purpose and the water dumping is played off as a way to avoid having to donate. People are just using it as a reason to dump water on their heads, act silly, and be part of a social media joke.

For an interesting read, please take a few minutes and read the following piece written by a local newscaster: https://www.troyrecord.com/opinion/20140820/john-gray-the-ice-bucket-challenge

Just think of all the diseases we could wipe out if we all dumped ice water on someone that was Tebowing as they stood on someone else that was planking!!

When I did it, I went ahead and donated $10 to ALS anyway. IMHO, it is a way to raise awareness. I had heard of ALS before, but had never actually looked into it. Now that people had done the ice dump, I did some research, found out what it was, and donated $10 to ALS.

BTW, here is the video. No, the screaming is not acting. The bucket was rigged by my sister...(90% ice and 90% water... don't ask how... :p)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=313078898864910&set=vb.100004884079331&type=2&theater

I did both, and I was a proxy for my wife as well. She couldn't get her hair wet.

Every video should state the cause they are promoting, where to donate, and urge others to donate. Too often there is no mention of the purpose and the water dumping is played off as a way to avoid having to donate. People are just using it as a reason to dump water on their heads, act silly, and be part of a social media joke.

For an interesting read, please take a few minutes and read the following piece written by a local newscaster: https://www.troyrecord.com/opinion/20140820/john-gray-the-ice-bucket-challenge

The article makes some valid points, in that you should at least specify why you are doing what you are doing, donate, and encourage (not bully) others to donate as well. As far as the narcissism goes...so what. I don't care what the motivation is for doing the particular event...so long as the results are effective (raising awareness and money).

FC

Climbs atop soapbox-

It's easy to be cynical about social media exploits, and surely many people doing this are just doing it as a stunt to be part of the party. However, even if they are just perpetuating the stunt so it can reach someone else who will care to learn, and to donate then they are serving a useful purpose here. Also, yes you would hope that people express some dignity or respect for the people and families who suffer from the disease, but then we all fall short of showing proper consideration for others from time to time.

In any event this "challenge", "stunt", "Social-media hullabaloo" whatever you call it has raised a crap ton of money for a rare disease foundation. My primary research project is on a rare disease (not ALS), and I can tell you first hand that these patient/disease advocacy foundations can serve a role that no other existing public or private groups can. They have the ability to draw together patient groups, basic scientists (read academics), contract commercial research organizations and drug developers (read biotechs and pharma) in a way that really does drive understanding of and ultimately progress on these diseases. ALS is a particularly hard disease because we only know what causes a small percentage of the cases (protein misfolding of SOD1), and it's real hard and expensive to try to figure out how to treat a disease when you don't know what causes it, theories are damn expensive to test...look at the tens of billions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of man years of effort (neither number is an exaggeration, in fact Alzheimer's is probably into the millions of man years of effort at this point) spent on attempted treatment of Alzheimer's as a for instance. Even the cases of ALS we do know the cause of (toxic gain of function misfold of SOD1) are caused by about the most complex root of disease to treat. There is only one drug I know of (VX-809 for Cystic Fibrosis) that has demonstrated an ability to aid in a misfolded protein disease by interacting with the protein itself to influence its folding directly (probably the mode of action), not just mucking up the folding and quality control machinery (read as big time side effects and often incompatible with life). CF is even an easier situation because it is a loss of function mutation, not a toxic gain of function mutation. Incidentally, you need SOD1 or your brain will basically oxidize itself to death, so no just getting rid of it (which would itself be challenging also).

To summarize, if you donated to this cause you donated to a good cause. If you dumped ice on yourself, didn't donate, acted like a fool, called out someone who may give a damn, then I am also glad you did it (though I reserve the right to :eyeroll:). In the end I don't care why you did it, I'm a pragmatist I guess. ALS is a scientific problem so immense that it is only going to be solved by throwing money and effort (funded by money, I know few independently wealth scientists) at good ideas, of which the overwhelming majority will be wrong, but only one needs to work. Also, what is learned in the effort (successes and failures) about the fundamentals of protein folding diseases and neuro-muscular diseases will benefit research into Huntington's, CF, certain Mitochondrial diseases, possibly Alzheimer's, and myriad others I'm sure.

-Steps off soapbox, waits for flying tomatoes

Last edited:
Climbs atop soapbox-

It's easy to be cynical about social media exploits, and surely many people doing this are just doing it as a stunt to be part of the party. However, even if they are just perpetuating the stunt so it can reach someone else who will care to learn, and to donate then they are serving a useful purpose here. Also, yes you would hope that people express some dignity or respect for the people and families who suffer from the disease, but then we all fall short of showing proper consideration for others from time to time.

In any event this "challenge", "stunt", "Social-media hullabaloo" whatever you call it has raised a crap ton of money for a rare disease foundation. My primary research project is on a rare disease (not ALS), and I can tell you first hand that these patient/disease advocacy foundations can serve a role that no other existing public or private groups can. They have the ability to draw together patient groups, basic scientists (read academics), contract commercial research organizations and drug developers (read biotechs and pharma) in a way that really does drive understanding of and ultimately progress on these diseases. ALS is a particularly hard disease because we only know what causes a small percentage of the cases (protein misfolding of SOD1), and it's real hard and expensive to try to figure out how to treat a disease when you don't know what causes it, theories are damn expensive to test...look at the tens of billions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of man years of effort (neither number is an exaggeration, in fact Alzheimer's is probably into the millions of man years of effort at this point) spent on attempted treatment of Alzheimer's as a for instance. Even the cases of ALS we do know the cause of (toxic gain of function misfold of SOD1) are caused by about the most complex root of disease to treat. There is only one drug I know of (VX-809 for Cystic Fibrosis) that has demonstrated an ability to aid in a misfolded protein disease by interacting with the protein itself to influence its folding directly (probably the mode of action), not just mucking up the folding and quality control machinery (read as big time side effects and often incompatible with life). CF is even an easier situation because it is a loss of function mutation, not a toxic gain of function mutation. Incidentally, you need SOD1 or your brain will basically oxidize itself to death, so no just getting rid of it (which would itself be challenging also).

To summarize, if you donated to this cause you donated to a good cause. If you dumped ice on yourself, didn't donate, acted like a fool, called out someone who may give a damn, then I am also glad you did it (though I reserve the right to :eyeroll:). In the end I don't care why you did it, I'm a pragmatist I guess. ALS is a scientific problem so immense that it is only going to be solved by throwing money and effort (funded by money, I know few independently wealth scientists) at good ideas, of which the overwhelming majority will be wrong, but only one needs to work. Also, what is learned in the effort (successes and failures) about the fundamentals of protein folding diseases and neuro-muscular diseases will benefit research into Huntington's, CF, certain Mitochondrial diseases, possibly Alzheimer's, and myriad others I'm sure.

-Steps off soapbox, waits for flying tomatoes

Well people get mad when you have scientists working with funding from a medical company while getting a check from them... Then people get mad because medical companies don't do research.... We know more about ALS then autism there still isn't a single explanation of Autism at least you can find a cause in some cases of ALS.... My theory is Autism is the next step in evolution look at the drastically increasing number...

Well people get mad when you have scientists working with funding from a medical company while getting a check from them... Then people get mad because medical companies don't do research.... We know more about ALS then autism there still isn't a single explanation of Autism at least you can find a cause in some cases of ALS.... My theory is Autism is the next step in evolution look at the drastically increasing number...

I don't know if I'm following completely, but I think the gist was about the doctors and/or scientist and/or "experts" that extoll the virtues of some drug from an appeared position of independence, but are actually getting paid by the makers of such. Yep, pisses me off too, creates an aura of distrust that negatively effects legitimate research.

For the record, I am paid by a small pharma company, I and m small team work in a lab doing research both fundamental and applied and I don't try to hide that. I do actual research, not marketing, but actual scientific research. some pharma companies don't, they just buy small pharmas and market the hell out stuff...sucks, could be far more productive all around.

As for Autism I fail to see the logic that it is the next step in evolution, as evolution relies upon reproductive advantage its hard to see where that would come into play. The subject of if there are more cases or not is actual a subject of fierce debate like everything everything else surrounding autism. Are there more cases, are there more diagnoses, or both? My personal view is probably both, but I'm not close tenough to the problem to have a well informed opinion on the mater.

My goal was to convey, from first hand experience, the unique role that patient/disease advocacy organization can have in facilitating the research that will ultimately effect the course of these diseases. I am not a pharma apologist by any stretch of the imagination, we as an industry deserve alot (not all) of the crap we get, and we brought most of it on ourselves. I was also not trying to place life effecting and fatal conditions on a hierarchy of importance.

Last edited:
I don't know if I'm following completely, but I think the gist was about the doctors and/or scientist and/or "experts" that extoll the virtues of some drug from an appeared position of independence, but are actually getting paid by the makers of such. Yep, pisses me off too, creates an aura of distrust that negatively effects legitimate research.

For the record, I am paid by a small pharma company, I and m small team work in a lab doing research both fundamental and applied and I don't try to hide that. I do actual research, not marketing, but actual scientific research. some pharma companies don't, they just buy small pharmas and market the hell out stuff...sucks, could be far more productive all around.

As for Autism I fail to see the logic that it is the next step in evolution, as evolution relies upon reproductive advantage its hard to see where that would come into play. The subject of if there are more cases or not is actual a subject of fierce debate like everything everything else surrounding autism. Are there more cases, are there more diagnoses, or both? My personal view is probably both, but I'm not close tenough to the problem to have a well informed opinion on the mater.

My goal was to convey, from first hand experience, the unique role that patient/disease advocacy organization can have in facilitating the research that will ultimately effect the course of these diseases. I am not a pharma apologist by any stretch of the imagination, we as an industry deserve alot (not all) of the crap we get, and we brought most of it on ourselves. I was also not trying to place life effecting and fatal conditions on a hierarchy of importance.

No I'm saying people get mad when scientist do legitimate research of funded by private companies even though it benefits everyone... The scientists also get paid by the company... The true scientists working for the company or are contracted usually are independent... This was a huge deal whenever Dr. Thomas P. Stossel discovered how white blood cells move and attack an infection or whatever they are doing.... He works as a Harvard professor but was contracted and paid by a medical company to do this... His discovery hasn't really help save lives but people were upset.... There are more individuals born with autism and it's increasing... The reason I think it could be the next step (if there really is constant evolution) is there seems to be distinct advantages of High functioning Austism... I know from experience.... I have a great video if you'd like it.... It would have to be PM to you because of the content...

Also logic cannot be applied to everything believe me I've tried... There is no logical explanation or logic involved in a LOT of things.. That is one advantage and sometimes disadvantage of Aspergers breaking everything down and only trying to look at everything with logic... When I finally figured logic wasn't everything then things became more clear...

Think of where we would be without the private medical industry or Capitalism in general....

Last edited:
No I'm saying people get mad when scientist do legitimate research of funded by private companies even though it benefits everyone... The scientists also get paid by the company... The true scientists working for the company or are contracted usually are independent... This was a huge deal whenever Dr. Thomas P. Stossel discovered how white blood cells move and attack an infection or whatever they are doing.... He works as a Harvard professor but was contracted and paid by a medical company to do this... His discovery hasn't really help save lives but people were upset.... There are more individuals born with autism and it's increasing... The reason I think it could be the next step (if there really is constant evolution) is there seems to be distinct advantages of High functioning Austism... I know from experience.... I have a great video if you'd like it.... It would have to be PM to you because of the content...

Also logic cannot be applied to everything believe me I've tried... There is no logical explanation or logic involved in a LOT of things.. That is one advantage and sometimes disadvantage of Aspergers breaking everything down and only trying to look at everything with logic... When I finally figured logic wasn't everything then things became more clear...

Think of where we would be without the private medical industry or Capitalism in general....

I think I'm following along, but perhaps I am a prisoner of my own experiences here. I think we share a belief that medical advances should be for all, not just for those who can pay top dollar. I don't get out of bed to go to work and find treatments for the diseases of wealthy people, I get up to try to find treatments for diseases, period. Now I don't get to pick my targets, My focus is at the discretion of my companies business plan. I wish I did have free reign to attack any target I want, but even a small team like mine costs in the seven figures per year, and believe me the majority of that is not salary...it's just damn expensive work.

In any event, you can't do research without money, and these small diseases don't often get a lot of attention because they are exceedingly hard and thereby exceedingly expensive to go after, and don't come with market projections that get venture capitalist and stock holders getting visions of 100x returns. I'm not saying that is good, it surely isn't ideal, but like I said earlier I am a pragmatist in this respect.

I can appreciate the belief that high functioning autism can be a real advantage in a lot of situations, I don't need convincing on this. Uniformity of thought and though processes are poison to science and innovation in general. A completely disruptive pain in the ass is responsible for Lipitor ever seeing the market, and that has helped millions. I am ADD as hell, and I think it can be incredible useful if you learn how to exploit it. I'm not about to declare it an evolutionary advantage though.

Anyhow, by whatever means I hope we speak about ALS in the past tense soon, like we do with things like Polio. But don't think that reaching that point is going to be cheap, and there is no problem that doesn't benefit from the light of day. Therefore, I wish the ice bucket folks the best because they are bringing attention where there wasn't much, and raising funds.

I have been guilty along with a few others of badly hijacking a thread like his before, so I'm going to leave this one now before it gets frothy. If you would like another round of retort I offer you the last word, and I assure you I will check back im to read it.

Also, keep in mind that I am a clunky communicator, so try to give me the benefit of the doubt if it sounds like something is a bit sharp, not my intent.

I think I'm following along, but perhaps I am a prisoner of my own experiences here. I think we share a belief that medical advances should be for all, not just for those who can pay top dollar. I don't get out of bed to go to work and find treatments for the diseases of wealthy people, I get up to try to find treatments for diseases, period. Now I don't get to pick my targets, My focus is at the discretion of my companies business plan. I wish I did have free reign to attack any target I want, but even a small team like mine costs in the seven figures per year, and believe me the majority of that is not salary...it's just damn expensive work.

In any event, you can't do research without money, and these small diseases don't often get a lot of attention because they are exceedingly hard and thereby exceedingly expensive to go after, and don't come with market projections that get venture capitalist and stock holders getting visions of 100x returns. I'm not saying that is good, it surely isn't ideal, but like I said earlier I am a pragmatist in this respect.

I can appreciate the belief that high functioning autism can be a real advantage in a lot of situations, I don't need convincing on this. Uniformity of thought and though processes are poison to science and innovation in general. A completely disruptive pain in the ass is responsible for Lipitor ever seeing the market, and that has helped millions. I am ADD as hell, and I think it can be incredible useful if you learn how to exploit it. I'm not about to declare it an evolutionary advantage though.

Anyhow, by whatever means I hope we speak about ALS in the past tense soon, like we do with things like Polio. But don't think that reaching that point is going to be cheap, and there is no problem that doesn't benefit from the light of day. Therefore, I wish the ice bucket folks the best because they are bringing attention where there wasn't much, and raising funds.

I have been guilty along with a few others of badly hijacking a thread like his before, so I'm going to leave this one now before it gets frothy. If you would like another round of retort I offer you the last word, and I assure you I will check back im to read it.

Also, keep in mind that I am a clunky communicator, so try to give me the benefit of the doubt if it sounds like something is a bit sharp, not my intent.

PM sent

OK, to get this back on track...

I work in the media, and I just learned that while i was on vacation this week, a co-worker came out and challenged me on-air, before discussing it with me. I have mixed feelings.

First, I wanna be part of the gang, but not so much that I sacrifice either a business suit nor my credibility.
Second, it has not been made clear how dumping water on you advances the goals of ALS or ALS research.
Third, about 10 years ago, the employer decided to embark on a promotional campaign that would humiliate their employees when they made a mistake. It was clearly a "participate or quit" moment. Fortunately, another co-worker with a better sense of humor than me, slipped up first and was humiliated on the air. He later met me in the restroom, dropped all pretense of being a good ol' boy, looked me straight in the eye and told me he'd never let them do that to him again...that he could see no benefit from public humiliation. He left our employ within a month or two and has gone onto bigger and better things, becoming very successful to all appearances.

So, I am very leery of joining in on this "stunt". But I am thinking of making a donation.
In fact, I have been thinking of turning it around... stating that if the public want me to participate, that they have to pledge, say, 5-thousand dollars total... by sending in their check to the local ALS chapter with my name in the memo space. We could then do a running total on how many have been following through...and raise some serious cash for this cause.

If, and only if, the total reaches $5000 (without any corporate big donations included), I might cooperate to have such a video shot and aired... sans a business suit.

What do you think?

Last edited:
OK, to get this back on track...

I work in the media, and I just learned that while i was on vacation this week, a co-worker came out and challenged me on-air, before discussing it with me. I have mixed feelings.

First, I wanna be part of the gang, but not so much that I sacrifice either a business suit nor my credibility.
Second, it has not been made clear how dumping water on you advances the goals of ALS or ALS research.
Third, about 10 years ago, the employer decided to embark on a promotional campaign that would humiliate their employees when they made a mistake. It was clearly a "participate or quit" moment. Fortunately, another co-worker with a better sense of humor than me, slipped up first and was humiliated on the air. He later met me in the restroom, dropped all pretense of being a good ol' boy, looked me straight in the eye and told me he'd never let them do that to him again...that he could see no benefit from public humiliation. He left our employ within a month or two and has gone onto bigger and better things, becoming very successful to all appearances.

So, I am very leery of joining in on this "stunt". But I am thinking of making a donation.
In fact, I have been thinking of turning it around... stating that if the public want me to participate, that they have to pledge, say, 5-thousand dollars total... by sending in their check to the local ALS chapter with my name in the memo space. We could then do a running total on how many have been following through...and raise some serious cash for this cause.

If, and only if, the total reaches $5000 (without any corporate big donations included), I might cooperate to have such a video shot and aired... sans a business suit.

What do you think?

Back on topic, so I feel I can say..."nicely played" is my opinion. I like the idea. Sprinkle in some actual awareness from your bully pulpit and it would be very well done.

Last edited:
Back