Can I sand off making tape? (Potential fin FAIL)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcorinth

Reaction score
I fear I may have gone too far, too fast.

I decided to put a beveled leading edge on fins of the rocket I'm now building - totally unnecessary for this rocket, but I wanted to try it out anyway.

I used a low-tack masking tape to mark the edge of the bevel. Came out looking pretty sweet.

Then I applied some thin CA (my first time using it) to strengthen the edge, without removing the mask. I suddenly realized that this might be a disaster, so I removed the masking tape while the CA was drying, and got most of it off, but on two of my fins, there's a tiny bit that is superglued to the fin. Just a tiny bit. I even removed all that I could with my hobby knife.

Can I sand this off? I was thinking that if, after the CA has dried, I applied CWF to the fins and then sanded as normal, the making tape might just come off.

Anybody have this happen? What did you do?

I fear I may have gone too far, too fast.

I decided to put a beveled leading edge on fins of the rocket I'm now building - totally unnecessary for this rocket, but I wanted to try it out anyway.

I used a low-tack masking tape to mark the edge of the bevel. Came out looking pretty sweet.

Then I applied some thin CA (my first time using it) to strengthen the edge, without removing the mask. I suddenly realized that this might be a disaster, so I removed the masking tape while the CA was drying, and got most of it off, but on two of my fins, there's a tiny bit that is superglued to the fin. Just a tiny bit. I even removed all that I could with my hobby knife.

Can I sand this off? I was thinking that if, after the CA has dried, I applied CWF to the fins and then sanded as normal, the making tape might just come off.

Anybody have this happen? What did you do?

I've done it on purpose a few times myself. The answer is Yes you can sand the CA soaked tape off but be careful. CA soaking creates a kind of Phenolic material. MUCH harder then your Balsa fin. I'd use 240grit to knock down the tape ridge then switch to 320grit to finish the CA'ed edges. CA Soaked anything sands Just like styrene plastic. It is possible to polish the CA with 600 to 800grit papers if you want. Just take it easy using as little pressure as you can, let the paper to the work. it takes time but your slight bo-bo will come completely off.

You might try some CyA debonder (or acetone / fingernail polish remover) on the tape. This will soften the CyA and the tape adhesive.

Good luck!

You might try some CyA debonder (or acetone / fingernail polish remover) on the tape. This will soften the CyA and the tape adhesive.

I can't imagine how the debonder material would know how to soak through the tape and then stop, and not go on soaking into the fin itself. I think you would run the risk of softening the fin itself, and that is probably not what you want to do.

I agree with the suggestions to sand carefully.

So how did it work out????
Any Update?
I too have occasionally gotten bits of Tape glued/epoxied to my Rocket, and found that Sandpaper worked.

Back