1/4" Launch Rod Idea

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screaminhelo

Shade Tree Rocket Surgeon
Reaction score
I have quite a few sections of cleaning rod for a .30cal bore handy. I measured them and found them to be a uniform .248" diameter. My thought is to use these to make a launch rod that I could easily break down to two pieces for transport. A quick search of the forum revealed nothing. Have you tried or seen something like this?

No, I haven't but I see no reason it wouldn't work. Just make sure the joint is smooth is all I can think of and make sure the lug isn't too tight. I'm not sure about my 1/4" rod, my cheap caliper only reads to 100ths, but I got it slightly smaller for a better fit.

How long is the sections screwed together?

Right now, I have enough for about a 7' rod. My plan is to have it in 2 sections to ease transport and launch set up. I'll secure the "permanent" joints with thread lock and smooth the joints. They fit a 1/4" lug beautifully but it is going to take some time to get the joints as straight as I would like.

Just a suggestion. You are going to find that a 7' long x 1/4" rail is very whippy. If you really need 7' of guidance length, I recommend using a rail. 10 mm rails are as stiff as a 3/8" rod, and 15 mm rail is stiffer than a 1/2" rod. You can use plastic screws and nuts for the rail guides and they will have less drag than a 1/4" launch lug.

Bob

Just a suggestion. You are going to find that a 7' long x 1/4" rail is very whippy. If you really need 7' of guidance length, I recommend using a rail. 10 mm rails are as stiff as a 3/8" rod, and 15 mm rail is stiffer than a 1/2" rod. You can use plastic screws and nuts for the rail guides and they will have less drag than a 1/4" launch lug.

Bob

Ditto that. Some clubs have even talked about banning 1/4" rods, I hear. I get way better flights on my kits where I added rail buttons. No need to remove the 1/4" lugs; just stick buttons on another side.

Bob

Is it possible to build a rail that can separate into sections? Are there examples?

Is it possible to build a rail that can separate into sections? Are there examples?

My club has a 3' extensions to add to our standard 6' rail just for people who need the extra length for a safe flight. So I imagine that (2) 3'-4' lengths would work just fine.

I have 2 15mm x 1 meter OpenBeam rails. I had to make some some attachments made from 1/2" angle aluminum. It works well enough. About 5 min to assemble and about a minute for take down.

Wild.Child.DD.Maiden.Flight.2014-07-12.jpg

Greg

Yes. I don't personally know what is available for the 10 mm or 15 mm rails, however if they are similar to the 20 mm or 1010 rails, they have a central bore that can be drill and/or tapped for alignment studs or pins, and there should be a single 4-hole joining plate designed to attach 2 rails together.

1010 4-bolt joining plate.png

A central pin and 2 opposing joining plates can be used to securely fasten 2 rail lengths together end-to-end. If you unloosen the top 2 bolts on the top end of the joining plate, the rails will slide apart. As long as you don't loose the hex head key wrench, it takes less than 20 second to join or separate the 2 rails as the tee-nuts will remain attached to the bolts.

A nice feature of the rails is that you can drill and tap a length of round stock and the other end of the rail so that you can attach the round stock to the rail and use your favorite rod holder with the rail.

Bob
Bob

I have quite a few sections of cleaning rod for a .30cal bore handy. I measured them and found them to be a uniform .248" diameter. My thought is to use these to make a launch rod that I could easily break down to two pieces for transport. A quick search of the forum revealed nothing. Have you tried or seen something like this?

We have a 2 piece 6ft. stainless rod we use for mid powered, light high powered rockets. Never seen a problem with any launches on it. It all depends on what you wish to launch off of it. We have been in the hobby quite long and have kits that are built with 1/4 in. lugs. If I would be having problems using the lugs and 1/4 inch rod, I would change to a rail and use buttons. So far never a need to. Also having sections to make a 7 ft. rod doesn't mean you need to use them all if not needed. Keep it as short as possible for a good launch, add as needed.

I can easily customize the length to some extent. Each section is about 6" long, so I can remove a section or two to get it right. I have considered venturing into a rail, but I only have a QCC and a MM that will fly on anything above D power. I figured on the 1/4" rod because I was able to get quite a few that were going to be turned in because the finish had worn off. I figured that would be a cheap way to upgrade so I can launch the bigger motors on my own equipment.

Back