Launch Magazine special issue in Fall 2014?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand someone going out of business, but there's a correct way to do it and it's called filing bankruptcy. I don't recall ever getting any creditor's notice in the mail so I assume they didn't file bankruptcy. If they did, then they would have to declare their assets and it would be understandable if their assets weren't sufficient to pay off their creditors.

But instead, they simply failed to deliver what they promised, AND THEN they stared up another publication (IIRC- Ad Astra?) that they were bragging about on their website. So the idea that they were financially insolvent so as to not be able to give refunds to their subscribers is a complete lie, as they certainly had no problem continuing in the publishing industry after their supposed financial difficulties.

In my case, they also illegally stole funds from my PayPal account to renew the subscription despite the fact that they have no authorization to do so. I had only subscribed for a one year term and their theft of money from me was about as blatant as it could get. They then failed to respond to my emails until I finally complained publicly about it.

So this is not a story of a small business person who ran out of assets, but rather, a company that stole money from people and clearly had the assets to continue in the publishing industry while using the skimmed money from subscribers to satisfy operating expenses for another publishing operation.

And now they have the gall to actually start up other projects using the Launch Magazine moniker despite haven't nothing followed through on their first efforts? Apparently that's the way to run a business- tell people it failed and that you won't pay them back, then 'start up' again in the future when it's in your benefit as if though nothing happened in the past. Amazing.

That is awfully interesting, isn't it. I too noticed that their efforts to do the AIAA mag were in no way impeded by Launch's collapse... in fact I would bet that they "shortchanged" Launch to pay for Ad Astra... I recall reading something that led me to that conclusion when all this happened years ago. I remember the apologists tripping over themselves to make excuses for them then too, when it was clear that they weren't going to screw the AIAA people (who certainly would have cleaned their plow in court) but just screw over rocketeers...

They COULD have sent "complimentary" issues of Ad Astra to the Launch subscribers that they stiffed, but they didn't. Just got a "that's it, Launch is finished" and that was it. Didn't hear about the "auto-subscriptions" or whatever billing you via paypal or something automatically... WOW!

What's amazing to me is how much people still defend these sorts of indefensible actions... guess it really speaks to some folks complete lack of a moral compass...

Oh well... I shouldn't expect any different I guess...

Later! OL JR :)

Please, everyone, give Mark a break. Carl talked to Mark as much as time would let them and Mark and Deb were devistated about the outcome of Launch. They both took personal finincial losses when they had to shut down. Launch magazine was a passion for Mark. He felt as heartsick as I do about having to eventually close Semroc.

Please reread the posts from GuyNoir and Gus. They know the truth. Mark and Deb were and are far from being crooks. Thank you all who have posted positively about Launch and company.

I rarely post on the forums but I know if Carl were here, he would defend them with the passion he had for everything he felt was right.

They COULD have sent "complimentary" issues of Ad Astra to the Launch subscribers that they stiffed, but they didn't.

Actually I don't think they could have. Ad Astra is the magazine of the National Space Society. They published it for the NSS but I don't think they owned it.

Geeze, If you like it and can overlook the fact that they went out of business abruptly, buy it. If not, don't. Enough of accusing each other as to who is a jackass and who is a facilitator.

Geeze, If you like it and can overlook the fact that they went out of business abruptly, buy it. If not, don't. Enough of accusing each other as to who is a jackass and who is a facilitator.

Agreed.

I'm going to lock this thread. Probably not forever, but everyone has had their say (and then some) and a few people need to take some deep breaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back