Are You an Android User?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Secondary question: if you have EARLIER THAN 4.2 (like terryg or MWC), could you also indicate whether or not you COULD upgrade if you needed to?

Yes, there's an update ready to download. A quick search at T-Mobile verified the following:
"Android 4.3 finally arrived for the Galaxy SIII t999 (original), and if you haven’t already been notified on your device, you should be able to go to settings and check manually and download OTA."

My most used devices:

VZW Samsung Galaxy S5 with 4.4.2
Sprint (Ting) Samsung Galaxy S4 with 4.2.2 (I could upgrade.)
Samsung Nexus 10 (tablet) with 4.4.4

Secondary question: if you have EARLIER THAN 4.2 (like terryg or MWC), could you also indicate whether or not you COULD upgrade if you needed to?

I realize what a huge hassle it can be to upgrade (as already mentioned), and in fact I think in some cases it might not be possible (or advisable). But if you have anything you can add, such as "I am running on 4.1.2 on my S3. I *could* upgrade, but I won't." Or, "I have 4.1.2 right now, I'm locked in, but I'm about to get my upgrade phone this year."

Some of you may be wondering what this affects. In general, it's not too big of a deal to compile back to 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich). But there are some features (such as Google Maps) that lately require features introduced in 4.2 or higher. Example below. Bonus points if you recognize the venue...

View attachment 179719

It will take a little bit more code and effort but you can simply query the version of the OS and decide if you don't want that feature available (show a message saying it's not available for this version of Android) or run a different method that supports the old OS.

Yes, Moffett Field. Site of my local LUNARs low power launches.
Google signed a lease for the flight area. Hope they let us keep launching there...

Everything that I have tried in the Google Play store will run in Jelly Bean. I haven't hit anything yet that requires a more recent release.

The plan is to target a minimum version of 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich).
That covers about 74% of active devices, and maybe more of rocketry based on the above comments.
Please keep them coming. I'll post some screenshots.

I'm surprised how updated most of these are. Maybe only folks with updated devices are interested? Wondering where all of this old Android I hear about is...

I'm surprised how updated most of these are. Maybe only folks with updated devices are interested? Wondering where all of this old Android I hear about is...

Google has pushede for OEM's to keep their phones up to date recently.

Are you looking for an old version to evaluate on?
I have an original Motorola Droid with v2.2.3

I don't like leaving anyone out, but I think a line has to be drawn somewhere.
Right now the minimum version will be 4.0.3 I think.
If we go back too far we also run into pure performance issues. Things like graphing can get really slow on older phones. For instance, in our Apple field tests, we have found than on the older iPhone 4 the graph takes a long time to load and when you use touch gestures to pan or zoom it can be jerky. Rather than give up stuff like interactive graphing and google Map support, I think we should just plan to work with more recent phones and tablets. I know smartphones are crazy expensive and can't just be upgraded willy-nilly, but I'd like for the experience to be good. Tradeoffs...

Back