My Apogee Article (Fabricating CF tubing)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aksrockets

Now with 8% more aluminum
Reaction score
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Education/Downloads/Newsletter370.pdf

Apogee just published the first article I wrote on fabricating carbon fiber tubing. I'd love to get feedback from you guys.
I wrote the article so that anybody with no composites experience could have a good chance of getting perfect tubing on the first try. Because It's geared toward beginners, I didn't get too technical. I covered basic tube rolling with carbon fiber cloth and a separate epoxy resin.

Alex

Congratulations! I assume there will be a Part 2. The HPR hobby does not lead me to composites, but I found the article easy to read and understand. Did you have someone proof-read it beside yourself? In the formula for the amount of carbon cloth you include multiple wraps. In the application of carbon cloth I got the impression that you had cloth layers. Are the layers cut separately or are you just referring to another wrap of the same cloth?

Congratulations! I assume there will be a Part 2. The HPR hobby does not lead me to composites, but I found the article easy to read and understand. Did you have someone proof-read it beside yourself? In the formula for the amount of carbon cloth you include multiple wraps. In the application of carbon cloth I got the impression that you had cloth layers. Are the layers cut separately or are you just referring to another wrap of the same cloth?
Generally tubing is made with one continuous cloth. You can do it with multiple cloth sections if you want to change fiber angles.

Alex

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Education/Downloads/Newsletter370.pdf

Apogee just published the first article I wrote on fabricating carbon fiber tubing. I'd love to get feedback from you guys.
I wrote the article so that anybody with no composites experience could have a good chance of getting perfect tubing on the first try. Because It's geared toward beginners, I didn't get too technical. I covered basic tube rolling with carbon fiber cloth and a separate epoxy resin.

Alex

Another great Alex CF resource, thanks for your time on this one. BTW there is a typo on Page 8, top right, looks like a space is missing between forthese.

Another great Alex CF resource, thanks for your time on this one. BTW there is a typo on Page 8, top right, looks like a space is missing between forthese.

Thanks! Checked with my original and it wasnt there, It might just be an editing mistake,

Alex

The second article has inspired me to make my own tubes, but not with CF, I got plenty of FG to try it with, I'll have to go to the archives to read up on the first article. Thank you for taking the time to write up this article.

Thanks Alex these articles are going to come in handy on a min. Diameter carbon fiber rocket I am getting ready to build:)

Good stuff Alex . Think it would work with fiberglass as well .

Thanks for the kind words, guys! Looking forward to writing more in the future

That's so cool! Awesome job covering the basics. So did they pay you like they say they will? I had an article entitled "Growing Fennel in the Backyard" published on the state extension website but who grows fennel? And, I didn't get any money SO, you are steps ahead of MANY people in terms of commitment and knowledge, especially considering how many years you have ahead of you! Keep up the great work and I hope to see more articles published!!!
-Ken

That's so cool! Awesome job covering the basics. So did they pay you like they say they will? I had an article entitled "Growing Fennel in the Backyard" published on the state extension website but who grows fennel? And, I didn't get any money SO, you are steps ahead of MANY people in terms of commitment and knowledge, especially considering how many years you have ahead of you! Keep up the great work and I hope to see more articles published!!!
-Ken

Yes they pay well.. I bet he got enough for a couple more all carbon rockets:);)

Back